Creamy Romano Chicken Farro
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 30 min
- 8.8 ounces Farro, I used the 10 minute Farro from Trader Joes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Gold Medal all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used unsweetened almond milk which works great too
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano Cheese
- 1/2 pound steamed asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper whisking until thickened and bubbly, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring until thickened. This takes a few minutes. When thickened, add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Place cooked farro into a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Pour cheese sauce over farro and add steamed asparagus and cooked shredded chicken. Stir and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 Servings