Sharing my favorite Mexican rice recipe today! Teaching how to make Mexican rice with my Chicken and Roasted Corn Mexican Rice. It’s a flavor packed simple dinner to have as an accompaniment or eaten on it’s own.
Mexican Rice Recipe
We enjoy Mexican food on a weekly basis at my home. This restaurant style Mexican rice is going to quickly become one of your favorite rice recipes! It’s great with taco night, burritos or in a bowl with a spoon with your favorite salsa. I used the roasted corn from Trader Joe’s freezer section. I highly recommend it if you haven’t tried it yet. This roasted corn has become a staple in my freezer, I have used it for so many dinners lately. It’s so great in soups too! Especially Mexican style soups!
How To Cook Rice
- Boil water and add salt
For every cup of rice, use 1¾ cups of water. Pour water into a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt into the water.
- Pour rice into boiling water.
- Stir gently to separate the rice
Don’t over-stir, this can cause the rice to become sticky.
- Cover the pot and simmer
Be sure the lid fits tightly. Turn down the heat to low/simmer setting. Let rice simmer for about 18 minutes, then remove from heat and allow the rice to steam in the covered pot for 5 more minutes.
Types of Rice
White Rice comes in short-, medium-, and long-grain varieties.
Brown rice Brown rice comes in short-, medium-, and long-grain varieties.
Black rice is a highly nutritious source of iron, vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. It actually turns purple when you cook it.
Aromatic rices are basmati (India) Jasmine (Thailand), Texmati (Texas), and Wehani and pecan wild rice.
Arborio rice is a medium-short-grain, starchy white rice, used most famously to make risotto.
Sticky rice is a short-grained rice that is typically used in Asian specialties such as sushi.
Wild rice Wild rice has a nutty flavor and chewy bite.
Instant or quick rice is cooked before being dehydrated and packaged. It lacks the flavor and texture of regular rice.
- 2 cups dry rice I used brown today
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
- 2 cups finely shredded chicken
- 1 cup roasted corn kernels mine were from Trader Joe’s frozen section
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until tender about 5 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, tomato sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until hot. Transfer to a 9×13 inch dish, top with warm shredded chicken and corn. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.