This homemade alfredo sauce recipe is perfect for chicken alfredo pasta nights! Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making alfredo sauce at home – it’s ridiculously easy!
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Recipe
I’ve got great news for you, alfredo sauce is so much easier to make homemade than you think. With just a few basic ingredients, you are on your way to making a homemade sauce that is perfect for your favorite pasta. This creamy and rich pasta sauce it what cozy comfort food dreams are made of!
At the end of this post, I’ll be sharing how to make a chicken alfredo pasta with this recipe. I also have a baked chicken alfredo recipe if you want to check that out!
Are you ready to learn how to make alfredo sauce? Let’s get to it.
What You’ll Need
- Butter – I use salted butter but if you prefer you can use unsalted. You will need to increase the amount of salt added separately to taste.
- Cream cheese – Use the block cream cheese, not the whipped kind.
- Heavy cream – You could also use half and half but heavy cream is best!
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese – For this recipe I think freshly grated cheese is the only way to go. It will give your sauce better flavor!
How To Make Alfredo Sauce
- Place butter, cream cheese and heavy cream into a large rimmed pan over medium heat.
- Using a whisk, gently stir and cook until melted and smooth, be patient this takes 5-8 minutes. The mixture will thicken as well.
- When creamy, whisk in Parmesan, salt and pepper to combine. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring often. Serve over your favorite pasta, goes particularly well with fettuccine noodles and chicken.
- Melt the butter, cream cheese and heavy cream, whisking until thickened and smooth.
- Add fresh grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk until melted and smooth. Reduce heat to low.
Within just a few minutes, you have this beautiful homemade sauce that is going to wow your family and friends for pasta night!
Use Your Sauce to Make Chicken Alfredo!
One of my favorite ways to use homemade alfredo sauce is making a quick chicken alfredo! Here’s how I make it:
- Cook fresh or dry fettuccini noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside while preparing alfredo sauce.
- Grab some roasted chicken, such as a rotisserie chicken from the super market. Shred it and place the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Place warm cooked noodles and warm chicken in individual serving bowls. Spoon hot alfredo sauce over top, stir and serve. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Tips for Success
- Don’t overcook your pasta. Whether you’re using fresh or dry fettuccine or other noodles of your choice, be very cautious not to overcook the pasta. I generally drain the pasta 1 minute before the package says cook time is. Pasta will continue to cook in hot alfredo sauce too. You want the noodles to be al dente. Al dente (Italian for “to the tooth”) is where pasta tastes and feels the best. It’s chewy and firm, holding its whole shape in whatever sauce you put it in.
- What kind of chicken to use? Grilled chicken strips are perfect with chicken alfredo, but you can also use shredded chicken pieces from a rotisserie chicken as I’ve done in mine. Quick and simple alternative.
- What can I add to my pasta? Try adding meatballs for another variation with your alfredo sauce. Try adding bacon crumbles too. More variations could be cooked shrimp, add some vegetables such as asparagus and broccoli.
What Goes with Chicken Alfredo?
- Bread: TServe fettuccine alfredo with some nice crusty bread. Garlic bread is great for dipping into the alfredo sauce as well. Or you could make popovers, which seem fancy but are easy to make!
- Salad: Offer your guests a nice side salad as well.
- Veggies: Roasted vegetables such as roasted brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes are lovely pairings too.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover alfredo sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Note that sauce thickens drastically. Reheat as needed in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add splashes of milk or cream to thin sauce.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce for Chicken Alfredo
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- 1 pound fresh or dry fettuccini noodles
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 1 stick butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese full fat not low fat
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups cooked chicken I use a rotisserie chicken
- Cook fettuccini noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside while preparing alfredo sauce.
- Place butter, cream cheese and heavy cream into a large rimmed pan over medium heat. Using a whisk, gently stir and cook until melted and smooth, be patient this takes 5-8 minutes. Mixture will thicken as well. When creamy, whisk in Parmesan, salt and pepper to combine. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring often.
- Place warm cooked noodles and warm chicken in individual serving bowls. Spoon hot sauce over top, stir and serve. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.