Tortellini Tomato Bisque
This Tortellini Tomato Bisque is simple to prepare and tastes like a soup from your favorite cafe. It's packed with flavor and the tortellini adds the perfect cheesy pasta in each bite.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 32 ounces Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 28 ounces Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes Muir Glen is my favorite
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry's Garlic Salt
- 20 ounces Fresh 3 Cheese Tortellini I use the Buitoni brand
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or parsley
Heat oil in large cast iron pot over medium heat. When hot add onion, carrots and celery cooking and stirring until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook/stir for 1 minute. Pour in chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Stir to combine. Turn off heat and transfer mixture to large blender such as a Vitamix. Using the soup setting, blend soup mixture until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour blended soup back to pot over medium heat. When soup is hot add tortellini, cover lid and cook for 6-7 minutes or until tortellini is al dente. Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy whipping cream. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Careful not to keep soup too hot once tortellini is cooked, over cooking it will make it too soft and will fall apart.
Top each bowl of soup with a pinch or two of chopped fresh parsley or basil and a drizzle of heavy whipping cream if desired.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 870mg | Potassium: 543mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3444IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 4mg