Walt's Chili Recipe (Inspired by Carnation Cafe, Main Street, U.S.A.)
This version of Walt's Chili is delicious! I'll never make another chili recipe other than this one. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 1 large white onion coarsely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large jalapeños minced
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto beans
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground sausage I used Jimmy Dean in roll
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions chives or parsley (I had parsley on hand so used that)
Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. When hot, saute onions, green bell pepper, and minced jalapeno. Cook for about 10 minutes until tender. Add pinto beans, diced tomatoes, 3/4 cup parsley, water and broth. Reduce heat to low to simmer.
In a separate medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add ground beef and sausage. Season with salt and pepper, cooking until browned. Drain most of fat, leaving a little still in meat. Season with chili powder and cumin, stirring to combine.
Transfer cooked beef/sausage to vegetable pot, carefully stirring. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Place chili into soup bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, fresh diced tomatoes and sour cream drizzles.
Calories: 506kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1022mg | Potassium: 811mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2953IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 5mg