Buttermilk Blueberry Scone Recipe
These Buttermilk Blueberry Scones are the best scones I've ever had. Soft, tender, and perfectly sweet. Scone perfection.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick very cold butter cubed into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk if buttermilk is thin, reduce to 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper.
Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a food processor bowl. Pulse to combine. Add cubed ice cold butter pieces into bowl, pulsing until tiny pieces form in flour mixture. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Slowly add buttermilk (if buttermilk is thin, reduce to 1/2 cup), sour cream and vanilla, mixing gently until dough forms. Fold in blueberries.
With floured hands transfer dough to prepared baking dish or pizza pan. Press and form into 1/2 inch thick round. Use a pizza cutter sprayed with cooking spray (for each cut) to cut wedges into dough. Brush tops of scone dough with heavy cream and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Bake for 18-21 minutes, until baked through, and turning golden brown around edges. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully break into wedges and place on serving plate.
To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in heavy cream until thick and smooth. Drizzle over top of scones and serve warm or room temperature.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can use a large mixing bowl and a pastry cutter or even two knives to cut butter into flour. Will take longer, but you can definitely make these even if you don't have a food processor.
- I've noticed that some buttermilk is more thin than others. The buttermilk I get is very thick, so my 3/4 cup works no problem. Evaluate your buttermilk, if it is thin like milk, reduce to 1/2 cup.
Calories: 325kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 456mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 301IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg