My husband brought home these giant blackberries from Trader Joes, and I’ve been trying to decide what I wanted to do with them for the last few days. I finally decided on these monster size blackberry cream cheese muffins that are incredible. I was licking the batter from the spoon like my 2 year old! They are just sweet enough that they taste like a little cake.
I used my “Texas Muffin Tin” that holds 6 massive muffins, and each feed about 4. You can also use 24 standard size muffin cups for a smaller more practical muffin, just bake them for about 5 minutes less than my recipe.
If you are ever in need of bringing muffins somewhere, or just feel like making muffins, this is a great recipe and easy too. Any berry would be great in these. Enjoy!
Blackberry Cream Cheese Muffins With Sweet
10 oz fresh blackberries
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 stick softened butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup all purpose flour
¾ Cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
Heaping ¼ Cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place blackberries and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine so that berries are coated in sugar. Set aside.
2. In a stand or electric mixer cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar and orange zest until well combined. Slowly beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
3. Place the flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. With mixer on low, add half the flour, then half cream, then remaining flour, then remaining cream until just combined.
4. Fill 6 extra large muffins tins or 24 regular size tins with muffin batter, about ¾ full, that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray. Press 3-4 berries into tops of each unbaked muffin, Reserve any berry juice in bowl for drizzle. Bake for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Remove and let cool.
5. In the same bowl as berries were in, place powdered sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth and drizzling consistency; should be a light pink color from the berry juice. Drizzle over top muffins and enjoy!