Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 pound stewing beef
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots, peeled
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeno (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 64 ounces reduced sodium beef broth
- 8.8 ounces barley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place beef pieces into a large ziptop bag. Add flour, salt and pepper. Shake to coat evenly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Brown coated beef pieces on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to 5 quart crock pot on high.
- In same skillet beef was browned, add 2 more additional tablespoons of olive oil. Saute carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic and thyme. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes. Transfer to crock pot. Stir in beef broth, barley, salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Close with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours. About an hour before soup is done, stir in fresh parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Makes 8-10 Servings