My White Chicken Chili Recipe is hearty, packed with chicken, beans and vegetables that make for the perfect dinner! This Slow Cooker Chili Mac is flavor packed and makes a delicious meal for your family.
Table of Contents
- White Chicken Chili Recipe
- What You’ll Need
- More Ingredients For White Chicken Chili Recipe
- How To Make White Chicken Chili
- What Is White Chili?
- What Type Of Slow Cooker Should I Use?
- Can I Use Other Beans In This Chili Recipe?
- How To Choose a Ripe Avocado at the Store?
- How To Serve
- How To Store Leftovers
- Freezing Instructions
- You Might Also Like
- Get the Recipe
White Chicken Chili Recipe
Have you had white chicken chili before? It’s got all of the same great chili flavors but it is not red like traditional chili. There’s no chili powder or tomatoes which makes your chili that deep red color. What you will find is lots of vegetables, chicken, cumin, spices, lime, cilantro and diced avocado on top. This was such a favorite family dinner. It makes the best leftovers to. Every time I use my crock pot I wonder why I don’t use it more often! It’s so great to use in the summer so you don’t have to turn on the oven. Break out your crock pot and enjoy!!
What You’ll Need
Let’s take a look the ingredients you’ll need to make White Chicken Chili Mac. See bottom of post’s recipe card for full instructions.
- extra virgin olive oil– The olive oil in the recipe is used to saute the vegetables.
- white onion– I prefer white onion, but yellow or sweet works fine too. Finely chop the onions.
- garlic– You can mince your own garlic clove or use the already minced garlic that is sold in a jar in the produce department.
- anaheim chili pepper– Find anaheim peppers in the produce often times near the jalapenos and other peppers. It adds a nice spice to the chili when simmering in the slow cooker.
- zucchini– Diced zucchini is added to the chili, it can be found in the produce department at the grocery store.
- bell pepper– I use green bell pepper in my chili, I recommend to finely dice before sauteeing.
- cooked chicken– In most of my recipes that call for cooked chicken, I use a rotisserie chicken that I shred and keep in the refrigerator for quick use.
- white beans– Cannellini beans work great here. Find them canned in the canned vegetable section of the grocery store. Drain and rinse before adding to recipe.
- chicken broth– Use a reduced sodium chicken broth found in the soup section of the grocery store.
- ranch dressing seasoning packet– Find this in the salad dressing section of the grocery store. Comes in individual packets or a box of 4 usually.
More Ingredients For White Chicken Chili Recipe
- fresh limes– Fresh limes add to the fresh zest of the chili. Roll onto counter before slicing and squeezing juice to help.
- ground cumin– Ground cumin in a key ingredient in chili recipes. It adds a smoky flavor that can’t be beat!
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a more coarse salt, I use it in all of my cooking and baking.
- garlic salt– Look for Lawry’s brand if you can find it, it’s a good one.
- black pepper– Fresh ground black pepper is preferred.
- small pasta– Small shell pasta or elbow pasta is great in this chili mac.
- fresh cilantro– Fresh chopped cilantro is the perfect garnish to your white chicken chili. Find it in the produce department of your grocery store. No need to cook it in advance, it will cook in the slow cooker.
- avocado– Dice an avocado for each serving of chili. It’s a delicious addition.
How To Make White Chicken Chili
- Saute and Cook. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers, zucchini, green bell peppers, chicken and beans. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
What Is White Chili?
White Chili is basically chili that is made with white beans, chicken, mild peppers without the traditional chili powder and tomato base. It can be made creamy as well by adding sour cream or heavy cream to the broth.
2. Transfer To Crockpot. Transfer to a large crock pot over high heat. Add broth, Ranch seasoning, lime juice, cumin, garlic salt, salt, pepper and pasta.
What Type Of Slow Cooker Should I Use?
For soups and chili recipes use a slow cooker that is at least 5 quarts. You’ll find slow cookers of many price points. Take a look online to see your options. It doesn’t have to be a fancy or expensive slow cooker to make great food. I have a number of crock pot/slow cookers of low end and high end. They both work just fine. The more expensive slow cookers will have more heating options which can be convenient, but it’s definitely not necessary if you just need a basic slow cooker. Check Walmart and Target, they’ll have a number available. The KitchenAid Slow Cooker is a great choice for a higher end option.
Can I Use Other Beans In This Chili Recipe?
Since this is a white chicken chili, I use Cannellini beans that keep the traditional “white” chili. You can use other beans such as black, pinto, and kidney beans, but they’re not traditionally used in a white chili.
3. Add Pasta. Add your dry pasta to slow cooker. It will cook right inside the broth. I used a small shell pasta for my chili mac today, but small elbow pasta or even the spiral rotini works great too. Note, you can also leave out the pasta if you want just a regular slow cooker chili.
4. Slow Cook. Close lid and close for 2 hours, until pasta is al dente.
5. Add Cilantro. Add chopped fresh cilantro shortly before serving chili. It adds the perfect freshness to each bowl of chili.
How To Choose a Ripe Avocado at the Store?
If gently press the avocado and it feels just slightly soft, you’ll know it’s ripe and ready-to-eat. Ripe, ready to eat avocados may have a darker color but color can vary so it is best to go by feel as well as color. It will feel lightly soft but it will not feel “mushy” to the touch. Carefully slice the avocado in half, remove the center pit and dice the avocado to add to each bowl of chili.
How To Serve
Serve each bowl of hot chili topped with diced avocado and a pinch of cilantro if desired. It’s also great with a dollop of sour cream and your favorite hot sauce. Shredded cheese and green onion are delicious on top too. Try serving with my Fluffy Mexican Cornbread Recipe too.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat as needed in a heat proof bowl in the microwave, covered in 60 second intervals until hot.
Store cooled chili in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw before re-heating.
You Might Also Like
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- Crock Pot / Slow Cooker
- cutting board
- chef knife
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 diced Anaheim Pepper
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- Three 15 ounce cans white beans, Cannellini
- 64 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce package Ranch seasoning mix
- 3 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups small dry pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado diced
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers, zucchini, green bell peppers, chicken and beans. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer to a large crock pot over high heat. Add broth, Ranch seasoning, lime juice, cumin, garlic salt, salt, pepper and pasta. Close lid and let cook for 2 hours on high. Reduce heat to low or warm. Right before serving stir in cilantro and top each individual bowl with diced avocado.