Skillet Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon Pretzel Topping
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 35 min
- 3/4 pound dry elbow pasta
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups Tillamook® Medium Cheddar Cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup finely crushed Keebler® Town House® Pretzel Thins Oven Baked Crackers
- 12 strips cooked, crumbled bacon pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions. I recommend cooking the pasta a minute less than the directions. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- To prepare roux, melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until color of roux gets slightly darker. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring continuously until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted.
- Transfer cooked pasta to 12-inch cast iron skillet over low heat. Pour cheese sauce over top, stirring to combine.
- Top mac and cheese with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese, pretzel crumbs and bacon pieces. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and hot. Serve warm.
Makes 8 Servings
This is a sponsored post for Safeway Inc, however thoughts and opinions are my own.