Sharing my, How to Make the Perfect Mac and Cheese recipe today! This homemade Mac and Cheese recipe that is creamy, cheesy and absolutely needed!
Homemade Mac and Cheese
Can’t wait for you guys to try my homemade mac and cheese! How To Make The Perfect Mac and Cheese Recipe…..what makes the perfect mac and cheese in your opinion? Good ol’ Kraft right out of the box? Homemade thick and cheesy on the stovetop? Baked with a crispy topping and lots of ingredients inside? I think it’s a bit different for everyone, but let me tell you about my perfect mac and cheese. See my Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe too!
I like a thick and creamy perfectly flavorful cheese sauce like my picture above shows. If that sounds good to you, then you will LOVE this recipe too 🙂
Be sure to follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration!
Let’s start by cooking your pasta. Make sure you do NOT overcook your pasta. You want a nice bite to your pasta so there is texture to the dish. I always cook it 1 minute less than the box says so there’s a little bite. The pasta will also cook more in the cheese sauce.
Once your pasta is cooked al dente, drain.
Let the pasta sit aside for a few minutes while you prepare the roux.
Mac and Cheese Roux
To make a simple and flavorful roux, start by melting a stick of butter in a medium saucepan.
Whisk in the flour.
Whisk in the salt and pepper. A very important step is to continue stirring for a good 3-4 minutes until roux turns a bit darker in color. It becomes richer and even more fabulous.
Slowly stir in the milk until mixture is thick and creamy. This step will take a couple minutes over medium heat.
Bring on the cheese!
I prefer a finely shredded mild cheddar. It melts quickly and has a perfect “cheddar” flavor.
Mac and Cheese Sauce
Time to transfer your cooked pasta back to a large dutch oven or pot.
Cheese Sauce For Mac and Cheese
Pour that fabulous cheese sauce over your noodles.
- 3/4 pound dry small pasta I used elbow
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups milk I used skim
- 2 cups finely shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. I recommend cooking the pasta a minute less than the directions. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- To prepare roux, melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until color of roux gets slightly darker. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring continuously until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese until melted.
- Transfer cooked pasta to large dutch oven or pot over low heat. Pour cheese sauce over top, stirring to combine. This is a thick and creamy sauce. To thin the sauce, add a few tablespoons of milk at a time until at desired consistency.
Pin Perfect Mac and Cheese
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.