There are some cookies you love and there are some cookies you are “in love” with. Let’s just say you are about to fall in love with these decadent morsels
Massive chocolate chunks inside a crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside chocolate cookie. The salted part is optional, but I highly recommend it! Really brings out the sweetness and chocolate aspect of the cookie quite nicely.
Enjoy friends! Oh and if you’ve never browned butter before, no worries, it’s a piece of cake. I have a few pictures that will help you along the way.
Nothing off the wall here, just your basic cookie ingredients. I happen to enjoy using chocolate chunks which you can find in most grocery stores. Trader Joe’s has a great 1 pound bar of chocolate that I chop up for most of my cookies.
Add your brown sugar to the ol’ mixer.
Some granulated sugar.
Here’s where the brown butter comes in. Melt your stick of butter and watch it bubble like crazy for a good 5 or so minutes. You’ll want to swirl the pan occasionally and eventually those wonderful little browned bits will show up and the butter will turn a gorgeous brown color. Don’t let it go too dark, it burns quickly after this step …..been there a number of times!
Add the brown butter to the sugars and use a rubber spatula to get as many of the browned bits from the pan as possible.
Once the brown butter and sugars are combined, mix in the egg and vanilla.
Dry ingredients up next.
Cocoa powder. Unsweetened please
Ahhh, almost ready.
Add those lovely chocolate chunks.
Ready to the baking sheet. Flatten, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake!
Can you smell the chocolate?
Brown Butter Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
- Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt and swirl pan until butter is browned with brown bits stuck to the bottomo of the pan. Takes generally 5-8 minutes.
- Place sugars into stand mixer and add browned butter mixing to combine. Add egg, vanilla, mixing to combine then add flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa powder and chocolate chunks. Mix until combined then scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet, pressing cookies evenly, about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle tops with kosher salt if desired. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cookies cool on rack for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
Makes 2 dozen cookies