Nov
2009

Rainbow Bright Cupcakes. Happy 2nd Birthday Picky Palate!

Desserts

IMG_4624picnik.jpeg

I need to wish Picky Palate a belated Happy 2 Year Birthday!  I’m a tad late, but I thought it would be fun to celebrate it on my actual birthday too!  Yes, it’s my birthday today.  I was hoping once 30 hit, birthdays would slow down a little, unfortunately that is NOT the case.  My birthdays are flying by faster than ever!

This is such a fun recipe I am thrilled to share with you on this special day.  I started playing around in the kitchen and came up with these ultra bright and cheery cupcakes.  They are incredibly easy and are such “lookers!”  They are beautiful, really.

Take a look at the process these babies go through….. Enjoy!

IMG_4564picnik.jpeg

IMG_4569picnik.jpeg

This is my favorite part!  Take 2 little spoons and start filling the cups with all of your different colored batter.  Don’t make it perfect, they are prettier when they are a bit messy!

IMG_4575picnik.jpeg

Ready for the oven!

IMG_4593picnik.jpeg

Look at that!  Right out of the oven so pretty and puffy!

IMG_4595picnik.jpeg

Love it!

IMG_4600picnik.jpeg

I definitely got carried away with the photos, sorry!

IMG_4606picnik.jpeg

IMG_4615picnik.jpeg

IMG_4628picnik.jpeg

IMG_4649picnik.jpeg

IMG_4652picnik.jpeg

IMG_4659picnik.jpeg

Rainbow Bright Cupcakes

1 box yellow cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 Cup vegetable oil

1/2 Cup water

8 oz sour cream

small box instant vanilla pudding mix

Food Coloring Paste:  Red, Blue, Yellow, Green and Purple (I used the William Sonoma brand’s paste)

Vanilla or Cream Cheese Frosting of Choice

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and pudding on medium until well combined.  Batter will be nice and thick.  Divide batter evenly between 5 white or glass bowls.  Drop 5 different colors of food coloring into each cake batter bowl until you reach your desired colors.  Stir well.  Spoon each color into paper lined cupcake tins until all are filled.  Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cooked through.  Remove and let cool completely.  Frost with frosting of choice.

24 cupcakes

_____________________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!  See you all soon!!

Comments

I Drank What?! says:

I always wondered how the stores did that…those are cool as all get out! LOL And Happy 2nd Anniversary/Birthday or whatever you call it LOL May there be many more as long as there is an internet of course LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    For sure this is a great way to celebrate!! The cupcakes are gorgeaus!!! I was looking for this rainbow recipe… I found it now!! Very simple, the way I wanted!!…

Carol (from Brazil!!)

Pam says:

Oh happy day, oh happy day…celebrating you and your site. I’m so glad you did get carried away with your pictures. All this color is so fun so early in my morning. I saw a 6 layer cake on someone’s site with colors this bright and I wanted to make one for no good reason…. Wonder what my hubby’s office of steady-eddy engineers would think of all this FUN!

Happy 2nd birthday!! I love your site so much, especially your pictures!! :) Enjoy the weekend!

Jennifer says:

Those look absolutely amazing and I am going to have to make them with my girls. Thanks for sharing and a very Happy Birthday to you and Picky-Palate hope your day is filled with love!!!!!

Molly says:

How fun, Jenny! You just never cease to amaze me!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday. Andy Happy Birthday to Picky Palate, too! I hope your boys spoil you this weekend :)

Lauren says:

I love these cupcakes, they are so cute and fun! Happy 2nd Birthday Picky Palate! I have just recently discovered your blog over the past couple of months and love checking out all the yummy recipes you come up with!

Joanna says:

Oh, I love making rainbow cupcakes! They are so much fun to make and also to eat. Happy birthday to you and your little blog, too!

Happy birthday and gorgeous cupcakes! I love the change-up to the box mix! Easy and cute = perfect!

Batoria says:

Happy Birthday, Jenny. What a very colorful way to start a new year!

TIffany says:

GREAT minds think alike… http://minearespectacular.blogspot.com/2009/08/colorburst-cupcakes.html

Happy, Happy Birthday!! Keep Creating!!

Meghan says:

Happy Birthday to you and Picky Palate!!! These cupcakes are amazing – the colors are so vibrant and beautiful! They look like so much fun to make too :)

Jessica says:

Happy Birthday to you!!! I hope you have a fabulous day filled with plenty of cupcakes!

melissa says:

I love these, just in time for my boys carnival party! Great idea!

Joycee says:

What a great idea! I bake for a nursing home, they will LOVE these!

Ramona says:

Happy Birthday!!! Happy 2nd Aniversary too!!!

That settles it. I’ve been looking for something to take to the horse show concession stand this weekend. THIS IS IT!!!

Bright, beautiful cupcakes for the horse showers. We take food donations to raise money at the horse show thru a concession stand.

I can’t wait to see how they go over!!!! I love them and I bet everyone else will too.

Michele says:

OMG that IS so easy!!! I would’ve never really thought about that. Thank you so much. Can’t wait to surprise my son and hubby with these :)

I made a cake and cupcakes for my sister in law like that back in July and we all loved them. They are so fun and colorful!!

Amanda says:

I made these for my daughter to bring to school a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit!!

Stehanie Curtis says:

Happy Birthday and Happy Blogday!!! BTW – Look at birthdays this way – a celebration that you made it through another year!!!

Kristin says:

Happy Birthday!!! It’s my birthday today too! I love your recipes!

Those are awesome… Me and the kids are going to have to try that! Happy Birthday to you and your blog! I love the things you post! I hope your birthday is fabulous!

Meg says:

Happy 2nd year to a wonderful woman and an amazing blog! Love the colorful cupcakes…the perfect way to celebrate :)

HoneyB says:

They are so cute! Love them….and happy birthday (belated today but I wished you yesterday on FB!) ;o)

Larisa says:

Jenny- thank you so much for all the fabulous recipes! I stumbled onto your blog a few weeks ago and I am so glad I did! Your recipes are now a regular addition to my meal plans! I have made 4 of your dinner recipes so far and we have LOVED them all! Your Black-Bottomed pumkin spice cheesecake bites are next on my list to make! I would like to know how you stay so thin with all your decadent desserts:)! You look very familiar to me and I’m not sure if it is from growing up in Mesa or from Food Network challenges! Hope you have a FABULOUS birthday & anniversary! Thanks so much for sharing your JOY of cooking!

Happy Day! Cute little morsels of colorfullness.

Kerstin says:

Very cute! Happy blogiversary and birthday!!

Jill W. says:

Happy birthday to you and Picky Palate! These cupcakes are gorgeous! I’ll have to make them at home.

France says:

wow I have to try this recipe. It looks so simple and easy. And my son will be happy to help I guess :)

I wish you a Happy Birthday :) Enjoy your day

Happy Blogiversary and Birthday!! So cute and colorful sweeties :)

Cheers!

Gera

Mona says:

Happy Birthday Jen! Your cupcakes are absolutely adorable! Can’t wait to make them. We love you and miss you all. We are counting down the days till you get here! Love, Mona

Suzanne says:

Wow, those look so fun! Happy birthday to you and to your wonderful blog!

Kimm Geria says:

These are so cool. I am definately making these with my kiddos. Soooooo cute.

Happy Birthday to both of you!!! Those are so much fun!

Kate says:

The cupcakes are cute, but what drew me in was the platter you have them on. I have the same one and always forget I have it. I think we will have to start using it again!

[...] Rainbow Bright Cupcakes by Picky Palate [...]

Happy Birthday and Blogoversary! I hope the coming year is even better than the last one!

Karen says:

Oooo, pretty colors!

Kimm Geria says:

Mine didn’t come out as pretty as yours. I think I overfilled them they kind of got stuck togeher LOL. I am going to do a 2nd batch and fill them less.

Robyn says:

These are awesome! I can’t wait to make them.

Stephanie says:

CUUUUTE and a half!! I love them!!

Allison says:

Happy Bday! Fun cupcakes! :) Thanks for sharing!

Mindika says:

I love making these. I made them last year for my little one’s 1st birthday party and they were a hit with the whole neighborhood. I also posted them on my blog a while back and they were a hit. Who doesn’t love to eat bright rainbow color fun food!

Kristy Chuhaloff says:

Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! Adorable cupcakes. Can’t wait for an occasion to make them! Thanks for this great blog. I love it!

Barbara says:

Double Happy Birthday! Really fun rainbow cupcakes! Can’t wait to make them for some kids in the neighborhood!

CookTeen says:

how do you keep your cupcake tins so clean?!
    these cupcakes are so bright, when I made them they were duller. Love your blog! Happy Blogiversary!

check out my blog: cookteen.blogspot.com

with love and cupcakes,
    cookteen

Lynne says:

These look like so much fun! I think I’m going to make these for my son’s first B’day. Happy Birthday to you and your fun blog. :)

Ashley says:

These are beautiful! I’ve seen cake versions but the cupcakes are so cute! Great post!!

Happy Brithday!

I LOVE these cupcakes! There is a little bakery in NYC that makes these and I have been dying to figure out how to make them. Thanks for making this so easy for me. Can’t wait to try it out. It will definitely be up on my blog!!

Thanks for sharing!