Mar
2010

Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes

Tags: ,

Desserts

Good Thursday Morning!  With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, I thought it would be fun to make ridiculously easy “green” dessert this week.

For some reason my 4 year old is really nervous about St Patty’s Day this year being in preschool.  He has been reminding me almost daily for a couple weeks now NOT to forget to have him wear GREEN on St. Patrick’s Day!  I think his older brother must have scared him with the whole pinching thing :)

So, I had to get a few things from Sur La Table yesterday and came home with this AWESOME decorating bottle from Kuhn Rikon.  It has 2 separate places to add frosting which makes a cute 2 colored swirl when used.  See my pics below.  I really am going to have fun with this purchase!  It’s what I used for these cupcakes.

Hope you enjoy, these are miniature and oh so tasty!

Found these liners at Michaels last year, they always have great holiday baking stuff :)

My 4 year old showcasing this Decorating Paste that I purchased at William Sonoma.  I’m sure other baking stores have the same thing.  It comes in a 5 pack of colors and totally worth splurging on.  Makes beautiful colors.

Here’s my 4 year old squirting the paste in and mixing it all up, his favorite part!

Fill 3/4 way full

Here’s that awesome decorating bottle, some really pretty gold decorating dust to sprinkle on top or in the frosting and gold sprinkles (No worries if you don’t have these things, they are great just frosted too!)

I didn’t even know it divided until I got home, I was grinning ear to ear filling each side up with frosting.   Can’t wait to play around more with this!

Here you have them.  Cute and green as can be :)

The gold looks much prettier and shiny in person, gives the frosting a sparkly touch

Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes

1 Box yellow cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 Cup water

1/2 Cup vegetable oil

1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 Cup plain yogurt or sour cream

5-8 drops Green decorating paste (food coloring will work, just won’t be as bright green)

Frosting

8 oz softened cream cheese

1 stick softened butter

1 lb powdered sugar

Yellow food coloring or decorating paste is what I used

Gold Pearl Dust or Sprinkles if desired

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, add cake mix, eggs, water, oil, pudding, and yogurt.  Beat on medium for 1 1/2 minutes.  Slowly beat in 5-8 drops of green decorating paste until you get desired color of green.  Scoop batter into paper lined mini cupcake tins.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through.  Let cool completely.

2.  To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.  Slowly add powdered sugar until creamy and thick.  Divide frosting into 2 bowls then add in a few drops of yellow food coloring or decorating paste into one.

3.  Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with gold pearl dust or sprinkles if desired.

36 mini cupcakes

________________________________

My little stinker in the kitchen :)

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!  See you soon :)

Comments

I will so definately be making these for St. Paddy’s Day. Adorable! And I’m loving that divided bottle!! Where did you find that,if you don’t mind me asking. Have a great day!

So adorable! St Patty’s Day is HUGE here in Pittsburgh, so these would be an absolute hit!

MaryMoh says:

Wow…green cakes. They look pretty!

Debbie K says:

These will be perfect for St. Patricks Day! Thank you!

I have seen those squeeze bottle at Sur la Table nad thought about getting them…such a cute idea!

Jessica B. says:

I was just about to ask how you get such vibrant colors! Thanks for the decorating paste suggestion. My kiddos and I made the rainbow cupcakes a couple months back and ours just didn’t pop like yours. Thought I needed more food coloring which would have been a WHOLE lot of food coloring :) Decorating paste…on my shopping list!

Jay says:

Decorating paste is the same as gel color. There is also powdered food coloring and won’t dilute what you’re coloring. Powder works great for dark colors like red.

Debbi says:

These look great and I love the picture of the little one licking the green beaters! How fun! I like to freak my kids out sometimes and make blue cupcakes and stuff.

Oooo that piping bottle is a great idea! Very cute cupcakes!

Nicole-Lynn says:

These look so yummy and easy to make! I think I’ll tackle this next week and bring some to work. Thank you!

Looks like you’ve had fun shopping! So cute – the boys and the cupcakes! You should send a link to Lives To Create for her Sixteen Days of Green roundup! http://changeabletable.blogspot.com/2010/03/sixteen-days-of-green-all-call-for-your.html

These are great for St. Patrick’s Day. I am going to make some with my daughter for her class the night before St. Patrick’s Day! Thanks

Sara says:

Cute! I have a friend who’s birthday is St. Patty’s day…I bet she’d love these.

Mikalisa says:

This is just 2 awesome! So cute and u have some gr8 helpers!

Krystle says:

So cute! Love the pics of the boys licking the beater!

These are perfect for St. Patty’s Day! I’ll have to remember this recipe when I get around to making treats for, in my opinion, one of the best days ever! But then again, I do have a ton of Irish in me so I might be a little biased. And P.S…your little stinker is so stinkin’ cute!

Natalie says:

these are so fun!!! i’m sure boys would love that green batter!! i’m gonna have to try these on st. patty’s day! :)

Jay says:

I actually have pastry bags with a double slot for the two colored effect. They hold more than the squeeze bottle. I use them the most during the holidays for red and white for the candy cane effect.

*I* was at Sur La Table yesterday, too! HOW did I miss that squeeze bottle?!?

“Green Velvet”….I love it! So cute!

Memoria says:

I had my first visit to Williams Sonoma two weeks ago and still haven’t been to Sur La Table. Now I want to go more than ever. Your cupcakes look great!! I love your new purchases.

Jamie says:

I love these cupcakes Jenny. How perfect for St Patrick’s Day. And I love all your purchases. Really cool.

Katie says:

My girlfriend lead me to your blog, so glad she did. You have some great recipes here. I just got a Kitchenaid, the real thing, not just my hand mixer this week. Can’t wait to break it in.
    Love the cupcakes!

Evie says:

These are cute! I love the dual chamber bottle! I always wondered how to do that! Your little guy is adorable too!

Megan says:

Would icing color work for the decorating paste? Where else besides Williams Sonoma can you get the paste?

Renee says:

Ah! These are sooo cute! I’ve been trying to think of a good St. Patrick’s day recipe to make for my co-workers. This just might be it. =)

Chris says:

Fun!!! That bottle will save so much “trying to put two icings in a bag” aggrevation! :)

Barbara says:

Oh..those are so cute! I don’t have the shamrock paper liners, but have used others. And found once the baking was done, you could barely see the design. Yours show up pretty good. I wondered about putting a double on each.

Megan says:

These are too cute-and I love all that yellow frosting piled up on top! Why is it that everything is just 10x cuter when it’s in miniature form?? :)

holly says:

These cupcake are absolutely adorable-I love the gold dust on top!! I would like to invite you to come by and check out our new food blog-The Peppered Pantry:) We’ve added you to our blog list!!

Risa says:

These are the cutest things ever!! I’m going to make these.

amy c says:

do you know how many regular sized cupcakes this would make? can it be swtiched to regular sized? i didn’t realize these were minis when i bought my liners =(

Tami says:

SO. MUCH. FUN!!! Love these! There’s something about food that is just the colour it shouldn’t be.. Brings out the child in me for sure!

Lori Vaughn says:

Would love to add this to my cupcake carnival.
    Thanks, Lori

Those look amazing! I’m so excited to see that they make a divided container for frosting. I’ve been struggling with it. Thanks for sharing!
    I’d love for you to join Cupcake Tuesday, I’m donating to the Girl Scouts for every link :)
    ~Liz

Antoinette says:

OMG….they look soo appetizing, even when they are green!
    And I love how you made the swirl multi-coloured.

Thanks for sharing this.

Siggy Spice says:

I LOVE THESE…..so cute!
    Did you ever have one of those recipes you were so proud of, you had to share? Even with people that didn’t ask? Forgive me as that is what I am going here, but it fits with the whole St. Patricks Day cupcake thing: Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes!
    Please forgive me if this is a rookie blogger mistake to do this :)

[...] Cupcakes and Fluffy Buttercream Frosting Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 When I saw these cupcakes on Picky Palate, I had to give them a try for St. Patrick’s Day.  She did her’s a mini cupcakes and I [...]

Patty says:

These are so cure and just in time for Saint Patrick’s Day!

Michelle says:

How cute! Kids would love the Green Cupcakes! Heck I would like one!

Perfect for St. Paddy’s Day! It looks as though your son is enjoying the process.

Carissa says:

I just made these today and they are so yummy! However, mine made 72 mini cupcakes! Not 36! At least I have more to eat now, right?

These are just adorable! I LOVE the double bottle for the frosting! I’ll have to go get one.

TidyMom says:

Adorable!! Thanks!!

I have to ask though, I picked up some of the dual chamber bottles from Sur La Table and I tried them out yesterday and had a terrible time with them!! How did you fill them? I put my buttercream in a pastry bag, and tried to fill the bottle that way, but air was trapped in there, so I couldn’t get much frosting in them. How did you fill them? I was so disappointed.

[...] Picky Palate Presents Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes [...]

Jodi says:

I just made these cupcakes and my batter has made 48 mini cupcakes and counting (not done yet, ran out of mini cupcake tins!) I also used green food coloring instead of paste. The first batch weren’t nearing green enough, but I added a ton more coloring and these second ones look good so far. Thanks for the recipe! They will be a big hit at a St. Patrick’s Day party.

[...] We’re having friends over for dinner tomorrow night– baked ziti, salad, and “homemade” bread (here is where I should thank my grandma for her bread-making tip!) and green cupcakes! [...]

[...] Green Food I’m totally making the Picky Palate’s Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes for tomorrow. My son was just saying that he wanted a Shamrock Shake yesterday and viola, I see [...]

Faelyn says:

Made these last night to bring to work. Everyone loved them!!

[...] just saw this article featured on yahoo, which featured THESE green velvet cupcakes. How cute are they?! And festive too! Love [...]

Michon says:

I love red velvet cake and my favorite color is green. Im gonna save this recipe for my birthday!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!!