Sep
2010

Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette

Desserts

Now, don’t let the word Galette scare you….it is a French word that simply means…various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes.  This beautiful apple dessert couldn’t be easier and boy is it pretty.  We are FINALLY back to school here in CA.  Can I get a woot woot please?!  The boys are enjoying their classes and teachers, so mama is happy!

I LOVE the fall flavors of apples and cinnamon then toss on some chocolate and caramel…..I think I’ve died and gone to heaven :)  Hope you will all enjoy this simple yet completely impressive and scrumptious “freeform” little pie.  Take a peek!

Here’s your trusty line up of ingredients :)

Dice 2 nice apples

Brown a few Tablespoons of butter…

….and throw in your diced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.

Pour onto center of rolled pie dough…

quarter a handful of Rolo’s…

Place on top of apples….

Now the fun part….folding your dough edges.  Don’t worry too much about this part.  Do the best you can, it even looks good when it’s not perfect :)  You basically pick up a piece of dough and fold it over.  Do this around the entire circle of dough.

Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette

3 Tablespoons butter

2 apples of choice peeled and diced

3 Tablespoons light brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 roll Pillsbury pie dough

5 Rolo chocolate caramels, unwrapped and quartered

Powdered sugar for dusting

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat.  When melted add diced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until softened.

2.  Roll out pie dough then pour cooked apples in center of dough leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around edges.  Top with quartered Rolo’s then take edges of pie dough and fold over to create a pleated edge.

3.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pie edges are golden brown.  Remove and let cool completely.  Before serving dust with powdered sugar.

8 servings

_______________________________________

It’s been a great first week of school so far, hope it continues!

_______________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend, see you soon!

Comments

Yours looks perfect to me! Rolo is one of my favorite candies. I’ll have to give this a try.

Chocolate, caramel AND apples? That sounds so good!

Kim in MD says:

YUM-my family will love this! Thanks for sharing!

I’m totally coming over to your house for dessert!!! This looks awesome! Caramel, chocolate and apples!! Wow!

This looks insanely good! The kids look so cute:)

Tickled Red says:

Okay, if I leave now I should be there by supper :) Save me a piece would ya please? Yow-za!

This look so yummy, love it!! My little boy started kindergarten this year, and I guess they have been learning about apples. He came home and told me that we need to bake an apple pie….so this recipe would be perfect for us to bake together.

I love rustic desserts. This one looks fantastic!

Angie says:

That’s a really good idea! Yummy!

Amanda :) says:

Jenny!! :) Your photos are stunning! I literally gasped when I saw the picture of you pouring the apples & cinnamon onto the pie crust! :) This looks DELICIOUS!!! :)

vanillasugar says:

well that’s easy. very clever ms thing!!

That looks delicious & easy! Do you think the caramel apple kisses would work in this? I have a whole bag I’m dying to make something with!

Heather says:

Yummy! Caramel, Apples, and Chocolate…nothing could better! Sounds amazing Jenny!

Eliana says:

What’s not to like about all these wonderful flavors. I love it :)

Jocelyn says:

This is definitely a must try! Love the rolos and apples together! I have a pie auction to make something for and this just might be the winning recipe!!! Thanks so much!

i am in love with all things apple right now…this sounds ridiculously amazing!

Jennifurla says:

You are sort of my hero! ha

Jamie says:

This looks amazing! I’m trying it tonight :)

Patty Ann says:

OH. MY. This looks amazing! I will have to try it need a dessert that looks fabulous!

Sues says:

Chocolate, caramel, and apple pie?! ALL TOGETHER!?!? Holy moly, YES! THis looks amazing!

OMG you are a genius! Rolos are the most delicious addition to an apple treat :)

Marisa says:

Oh my those chunks of rolo looks delish!

Cheri says:

These look delicious. I am going to have to try these!

lizbremom says:

We made this last night and it was delicious! I piled my apples too high in the middle, need to spread them around more like you did next time :) Making 2 more tonight while I have a get together, hubby asked for a few more rolos mixed in….he thought they were amazing!

That is such a cute photo of your boys. This galette looks AMAZING!! It is so funny how the name can be intimidating….but in actuality it is simple to prepare. Fun choice to go with the Rolo’s! xo

Michelle says:

I enjoy making Galettes and adding chocolate and caramel to an old-fashioned apple gallette is a nice twist!

Thanks for the warning right off telling me not to be intimidated. I am also going to make this recipe!!! I hope to see you soon.
    ps – how do you do the cool scrapbooking type feature next to the photo of the boys?

Gale Reeves says:

Looks delicious! I saw leaves that are beginning to turn color today. This apple post is timely. Great photos.

I LOVE galettes (they’re so easy yet so impressive), and yours is next on my list to try. This looks absolutely wonderful! Perfect for fall – You can’t go wrong with apples and loads of butter ;) Thanks for sharing this, Jenny!

Oh man, that looks so delicious! I love fall recipes and I so ready for Fall. I like the idea of using the chopped Rolo’s. That is so different!

Gail B says:

I love the fall because it means the house doesn’t have to get overheated with the baking!!! This one is a must for one of the first fallie foods :) thanks so much for sharing it.

Brandy says:

Uh, yummy?

Sue says:

I just got back from the store with the ingredients to make this! My dad requested an apple pie for the game tomorrow and my response was “I don’t make pie!”

Well… he’s gonna love this! And he might even love you, too! Hahah.

Thanks so much :)

Absolutely gorgeous pie. Love the use of all the ingredients.

Nickie says:

Made this last night! VERY good!!!! I added a little more chocolate than what was in your recipe ~ what can I say I like chocolate!! ; )
    I think next time I may try making this recipe w/ snickers candy bars instead of the rolos for an apple, peanut butter, chocolate taste! Just a thought!!!! VERY good, we ate every last bite!!!

Your boys couldn’t be cuter! This galette is pure evil…and I mean that in the best way possible.

Jody Sullivan says:

I made this last night for dessert…cold rainy Sunday. It was the BEST dessert we’ve had all summer. It was warm and yummy without being too sweet.
    Thank you so much for sharing!

Michelle says:

Did you use salted or unsalted butter???

[...] Chocolate and Carmel Apple Pie Galette (From: Picky Palate) [...]

Carrie says:

Thank you for sharing this I made this for company this weekend and it was loved by all.

Oh my goodness, Jenny. This looks fabulous! Rolos are my favorite! What a delicious treat! This is definitely going on my “to make” list!

Deborah says:

What a great idea – using Rolos!

[...] Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette – from Picky-Palate [...]

Shannon Jones says:

This recipe looks lovely and perfect for a little easy “gift treat”! I was wondering what you baked the Galette on? It looks like you constructed it on a backing mat but then under the Galette it looks like some kind of paper and a wood board? Would love to hear your baking tools list. What works best for what kind of baked item.hmmm maybe a whole post on the subject.
    Thanks for sharing so sweetly.

Allyson says:

My husband and I are eating this right now. We added a few extra Rollos (just because we love them so much). Thank you for this recipe, it is so yummy!!

Tiney says:

This looked so good I had to make it. I was NOT disappointed. Was very good, very easy and quick to prepare. A great warm, comfy dessert that was really good! Thanks for posting.

Jenn says:

I made this delicious galette last week for my extended family. Since then, I’ve made it twice more for friends and then my husband requested one for just us! It’s so yummy! I did use a few more Rolos (per my husband’s request) and it turned out great! Tonight, we only had one apple on hand so I threw in a handful of pecans with the apples to cook in the brown sugar/cinnamon mix. Then, some mini marshmellows at the same time as the Rolos. The result? So. So. Good. :)

Linzie says:

So very good, yet again! I made this tonight for a dinner party and I don’t even like cooked apples, but YUMMIE!!! I did have to add a few extra rolo’s, not that it needed them, I’m just a rolo fan ;0)
    Linzie

Carol says:

I’m so glad I stopped to read this recipe. It looks SO easy, yet super sophisticated! I will be trying this!

[...] Chocolate & Caramel Apple Pie Galette, from Jenny at Picky Palate [...]