Nov
2010

The Best Stuffing Ever…Sourdough Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

I know it’s a bold statement to say this could be the best stuffing ever, but…..it really is :)  No joke, my husband who absolutely despises stuffing, came home and said, “Oh wow, this is the best stuffing I have ever had!”  There’s nothing more unappealing than a dry tasteless stuffing, so I decided to create my own version with ALL of my favorite stuffing ingredients.   I’ll let you guys be the judge, but take my word on this one…..it rocks!

Take a peek below and get excited to make one of the best parts of Thanksgiving Dinner….Stuffing!

Here’s your line-up.  I’m ashamed to say I forgot the 1 3/4 sticks of butter in this photo.  I am slapping my hand!

Find yourself a nice loaf of sourdough bread.  If sourdough isn’t your thing, go for the French bread.

Give the loaf a nice slice, about 1 inch slices.

Cut those slices into cubes :)

I LOVE cornbread in my stuffing.  It adds such a great sweetness to the salty goodness!  Anyway, I bought my cornbread, but feel free to use your own recipe :)

Cube it all up.

Add the cornbread cubes to the sourdough cubes.

Time to toast the cubes!

While the bread is toasting, break out the veggies.  Start slicing up your celery.  All of it, even the little leafy parts :)

Slice.

Dice.

Don’t forget the onions.  Slice then chop.

I love mushrooms in my stuffing, but if you are not a fan, feel free to leave these babies out.

Look at all of that veggie goodness!

Time to melt the butter.  I know it’s a lot, but this recipe makes a TON of stuffing.

Saute those veggies.

Pour in your chicken broth.

Give a nice chop to your fresh herbs.

….and pour them in :)

Brown your breakfast sausage, drain then pour into veggies.

Place those toasted bread cubes into a VERY large bowl…

…..and slowly add the sausage and veggie mixture to the cubes, while stirring throughout.

You’ll get something like this.  Taste a few pieces and season with a little extra salt and pepper according to your taste :)  Transfer to 2 baking dishes and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Tada’. Here’s one of dishes hot out of the oven.

A closer, more delicious look :)  Enjoy friends….we did!

The Best Stuffing Ever…Sourdough Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing

1 lb Sourdough Loaf, cubed

12 oz baked cornbread, cubed

14 Tablespoons butter (1  3/4 sticks)

1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 Cups)

1 bunch of celery, chopped (about 3 Cups)

3 large carrots, chopped (about 2 Cups)

8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped (about 1 1/4 Cups)

2 Tablespoons minced garlic

2 1/2 Cups chicken broth

1/2 Cup fresh chopped parsley

2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary

1 Tablespoon fresh sage

1/2 teaspoon ground thyme (or 1 Tablespoon fresh)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 lb Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.   Place cubed sourdough and cornbread onto a large jellyroll baking sheet.  Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly toasted.  Remove from oven.

2.  Melt butter into a large dutch oven or large rimmed skillet over medium heat.  Saute onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms for about 10 minutes or until veggies turn tender.  Stir in garlic and cook for another minute then pour in chicken broth, parsley, rosemary, sage,  thyme, salt and pepper.  Stir and reduce heat to low to simmer.

3.  Brown sausage in skillet, drain if necessary then add to vegetable mixture.  Place bread cubes into a large bowl and slowly pour mixture over cubes gently stirring throughout to ensure all pieces get coated.  Taste a couple pieces and season with additional salt and pepper according to taste.  I added a few more pinches of kosher salt and pepper at this point.

4.  Divide stuffing into a 9×13 inch baking dish and a 11×7 inch baking dish.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, until just golden brown on top.  Should still be nice and moist.  Remove from oven and serve!

12 servings, each dish

____________________________________

Can’t wait for Thanksgiving!  Stay tuned for more Turkey Day Cookin’ coming up!

Comments

software says:

wow delious!!! u a great cook!

megan says:

This stuffing sounds incredible! I’ve heard about cornbread in stuffing but never tried it. I am never in charge of the turkey, so I never do the stuffing…but maybe I”ll ask if I can bring some to the meal this year :)

That pretty much does look like the best stuffing ever. Yum.

I love Jimmy Dean sausage in stuffing! This sounds great!

Stuffing is my favorite food of Thanksgiving!!! Especially cornbread stuffing!

This looks especially delicious :)

I’ve been on the search for the perfect stuffing recipe! Thank you!

Jamie says:

One of my favorite stuffing recipes is similar to this, but instead of cornbread, it has apples. The sweet and savory at the same time is to die for. This recipe makes me wish I was cooking Thanksgiving this year. This looks amazing!

Pam says:

My favorite has apples too! Apples and toasted pecans. I don’t think I can wait until Thanksgiving to make some!

This stuffing looks great, Jenny! We always have my Granny’s traditional southern cornbread dressing. Can’t wait for Thanksgiving! :)

I can see just why this would be the best cornbread stuffing ever. I am wanting to make one over here & I will use your recipe to guide me! Looks amazing :) xo

Looks delicious! I love how stuffing is one of those things that you can just wing it and add whatever you want. What is your sweet family going to do with all of that stuffing? I feel a stuffing-leftovers post coming on ;)

I just love those filling tiopping, must be lovely crust after oven baked, darn sure smells good! :)

Megan says:

Wow! This looks so so so good! I always make stuffing from a box, but I think these pictures may have just converted me… ;)

Lauren B. says:

Never thought to mix cornbread with sourdough! Looks delicious, Jenny!

Charlotte says:

In the south we call it dressing and thats basically the same recipe we use except without the mushrooms and carrots. And its just not dressing without the cornbread!! :D

Penelope says:

This looks AWESOME! Think it would work without the sausage if I’m cooking for vegetarians?

I love the mushrooms in there! Great stuffing recipe for turkey day!

brandy says:

You have now made me crave Stuffing! I wish you had posted this recipe back in October for the Canadian Thanksgiving. :D That looks so good i will have to definietly try your recipe!

Lauren says:

I definitely do not like stuffing, but that looks delicious even to me! I might actually have to try making this. Thanks, Jenny! :)

forget the turkey…just give me a huge pile of this for thanksgiving!!! :)

VickiT says:

Oh what wonderful looking stuffing! I have to say my weakness is sourdough bread so I may need to buy a 2nd loaf or it may ‘somehow’ disappear before it makes it into that recipes. haha I will admit I normally don’t like stuffing with sausage but this one looks awesome so we may need to try this one this year. And I say ‘we’ because hubby will be doing almost all the cooking this year because I just had hand surgery and can’t do much of anything at all given a cast on my dominant hand. oops. I don’t think even as stubborn as I am about being such an independent woman, or stubborn as he would say, that he’s going to allow me anywhere my chef’s knife right now. LOL

Lori Allberry says:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I have to complain Jenny! I just have to – my complaint is that I can not run home and make this IMMEDIATELY!
    I am stuck at work!
    This looks A-MAAAAZ-INNNNNNGGGGGGGG!

I have been waiting and waiting for this since your tease yesterday!
    Thank You for sharing!

♥Lori

Raejean says:

I have a stuffing recipe I like (your sounds yummy to with the sausage and mushrooms!) and it makes a ton. I wish the rest of my family appreciated stuffing as much as I do. Even I can only eat so much stuffing!

Maybe I’ll try yours this year!

Omg! I love cornbread in stuffing too! My brother hates it though, so my mom ends up making two different kinds…I don’t mind it. :)

Mary Prillaman says:

I am definitely making this for Thanksgiving. Would this be a good stuffing to stuff the bird with? This will be my first year attempting to make the Thanksgiving turkey and I am a complete novice.

Ohh, how I love stuffing! We had our thanksgiving already (Canada!) BUT, I’ve bookmarked this cause I know I have to try it!

Mary xo

Eliana says:

This is making me wish it was Thanksgiving today!

Looks amazing! Stuffing is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving dinner! I am so ready to feast on turkey and stuffing!

Jenette Marie says:

my husband is not a stuffing fan either, but I am definitely going to try this one out on him! :)

Daisha says:

My mother in law makes a killer sausage stuffing similar to yours. I like the addition of the spice on this! Looks amazing.

Aside from the mushrooms it sounds delicious. This would go great with the turkey recipe Im going to make this year which I will try and feature on my blog. Also my hubby doesnt like stuffing but I think this one he would like since it has ingredients he loves like cornbread, sourdough bread and sausage. Thanks for a great recipe

My comment is from Georgina Howe but the link to my website is wrong. Sorry! I am now registered so it wont happen again.

Sues says:

I just happen to think my mom’s stuffing is the best ever :) But it actually looks quite similar to yours… The sausage totally makes it!! And we add lots of Bell’s seasoning, too!

healthy&homemade says:

So much good healthy stuff!! I want to try making this for the family =)

I keep wondering why we only really eat stuffing once a year. Crazy! This looks absolutely delicious, Jenny :D (Agreed on the cornbread in the stuffing)

Courtney says:

Southern here too, so it is dressing at my house. Mine is very close..I like your idea of the carrots. If there is anyway you can smoke that Jimmy Dean sausage for a couple of hours in a smoker it REALLY kicks it up a notch. People always try to figure out what the extra kick is in my dressing.
    Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

This sounds AMAZING!!!

Tracy says:

There’s nothing about this stuffing that I don’t like! I’ve also never tried it with cornbread before, and simply must after seeing this. Yum!

The added veggies are a really nice touch to this stuffing. And you just can’t go wrong with sausage.

Megan says:

Made this stuffing tonight and it is so delicious! Thank you so much for posting this!

My sister, Melanie, has been looking for a cornbread stuffing recipe. I will definitely be telling her about yours. It looks great. Totally getting me in the mood for Thanksgiving!

janessa says:

This looks amazing! I don’t know how i feel about cornbread because I hate cornbread, but hubby loves it, so I might give it a try. ONE QUESTION though, could you cook this stuffing in the turkey? What do you think?????? Thanks!

Hi Janessa,
      I think this recipe would be fine stuffed inside the turkey, just check the temperature of the turkey to make sure it’s all cooked through around the stuffing :)

Wow- you make everything look so easy with those step-by-step pictures.. then I see the ingredients list. HA! You are a true inspiration! I’ve never had a stuffing with this combo of ingredients.. my mom always makes her famous chestnut stuffing.
    I can’t wait to see what dessert you whip up for the holidays!

jenna says:

that looks so good, Jenny!! Cornbread makes me swoon.

I love sausage stuffing, can’t wait to try it with cornbread too!

Jackie says:

Hi Jenny

I was wondering if I could use those shady brook farms italian turkey sausages in this recipe. Or do you need the sweetness of the jimmy dean sausages in this recipe.

Lindsey says:

That looks amazing! Unfortunately, the one thing my husband has to have at Thanksgiving is his mother’s stuffing…Maybe I’ll make 2 kinds of stuffing this year.

BROOKIE says:

hey jennie,
    i have a question…will the top be alittle crispy? or is the whole thing moist? this stuffing looks so delicious, but i always liked the crispy top and the moist middle. could i just cook it alittle longer or would that ruin it?? this recipe looks divine! thank you for your site jenny, it is my favorite!!

Hi Brookie,
      If you want to make the top a little more crispy, I would dollop a little softened butter evenly over the top (as if we need more butter? :) This will give it a nice little crust, but the inside will still be nice and moist, enjoy!

Jen says:

I can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving.

Also, I just have to tell you that I have been stalking your site for a while and I just love it. I love your recipes and the photos are gorgeous. Please keep up the awesome work, my hungry tummy demand it. :)

Diane says:

I have been surfing the websites for an awesome stuffing recipe and this sure looks like a winner. Two questions. How many will this serve and can I make it a day or two ahead. Thanks

Hi Diane,
      This makes two 9×13 inch dishes, so I am thinking about 24 total. I would make it one day in advance at the most. My leftovers were delicious so I think it will be fine :)