Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Nov
2007

Buttery Cinnabun Cake

Tags:

Desserts

I made a huge mess this afternoon in my oven making these cakes! Learn from my mistake and make this cake in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan rather than little cakes. The buttery cinnamon swirl ooozed out all over my oven making a huge smoky mess, so use the pan!!

This recipe is from my brother in law’s very talented mother (Mrs. Adams). I always hear about the great food that she makes, so I finally bummed the recipe from my sister. I tasted this cake last year and loved it! It is a real treat. I’m just not going to try the cute little individual cakes next time!! Enjoy, this is a great recipe!

Buttery Cinnabun Cake

2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2/3 Cups nuts, optional

2 Cups powdered sugar
5 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In an electric or stand mixer mix the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Once combined well, slowly stir in melted butter. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix the 2 sticks of softened butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts until well combined. Drop evenly over cake batter by the tablespoonfuls and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.

3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center.

4. Place powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!

Comments

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, your killing me with this!!!
    Yummmmm!!!!

What a treat these were yesterday!

Emiline says:

Are these kind of like Cinnabons? I love those. I always have to get a Cinnabon at the airport.
    I’m sorry about the oven.
    I do that all of the time; I’m notorious for it.
    Our oven is constantly smoking.

Hi Emiline,
    These are definately more cakey (if that’s a word), but they have that cinnabun taste which is heavenly.

My oven survived, I ruined a bath towel cleaning all the burn bits off of the bottom, oh well! That certainly wasn’t the first or probably the last time that will happen to me either. You’d think I’d learn not to fill the tins so full.

Anonymous says:

Did I miss the oven temp. on this? I’m guessing 350? They look so good my son BEGGED me to make them!

Anonomous,
    Thanks for catching that. Yes, the temp should be set at 350. My boys love these!

Nicole says:

Im going to gain 20 pounds by just looking at your blog. This looks sooooooo good!

Janssen says:

Wow, I obviously need to go make these this very minute.

Rachel says:

What temperature do you bake these at?

Jen says:

Holy cow; amazing! Even in a cake pan it was nearly bubbling out at the corners. My kids were burning their mouth just because they couldn’t wait for it to cool!

Aubrey says:

These look so amazing! I already made the caramel cream cheese things you have in you’re recipes and while mine weren’t quite so pretty they were a hit with my family and friends. Keep up the yummy recipes!

Roz Gorski says:

Hey Jenny, I tried this using a loaf pan and got 3 loaves out of the recipe. The crumb topping swirled into the batter was heavenly. They make awesome gifts when we go visiting.

Brenda Penrod says:

Hi Jenny,
    My family loves this yummy Buttery Cinnabun Cake but the recipe doesn’t tell the temperature to bake it on. Please let us know so it doesn’t turn out too doughy or dry anymore.

Thanks,

Brenda

Cat says:

Mmmm, this is baking in my oven right now! It smells awesome! I’m finding the cooking time to be a bit longer, I’m at 30 min and it’s not done yet. It’s smells so good it’s hard to be patient, lol.

Annette W says:

Oh, Jenny! I think I am going to try this one too. It looks too good! I totally get your desire to try individual cakes, but won’t! 3/4 pound of butter. WOW!

What’s the temperature for the oven? Also, I saw someone recommended bread pans. Have you tried that yet?

Evie Roberts says:

i really love Cakes and i am always looking for some new cake recipes on the internet..;;

Shellie says:

and this is going to be dessert!

Tried this tonight and it was gone in a flash. Thanks!

Sereh says:

I tried this a little while ago and forgot to come back and leave a comment.
    It was REALLY yummy, although, I decided to reduce the milk and throw in some chopped apples. It was delicious! Also, I stupidly almost forgot to put the cinnamon in, so ended up just sprinkling and twirling a bit on top just before baking. And then I threw some extra cinnamon in the icing.
    HAHAHA and I also thought “might as well make it a full pound of butter and melted some into the frosting too. So it ended up being “Apple Cinnamon Cake with buttery cinnamon frosting”
    Thanks for the recipe!

Tanya says:

If you do want to try the individual cakes, are you using regular muffin tins? If so, how many small cakes does this recipe make?

Thanks! Looks great

Hillary Crump says:

Seriously this was to die for. Loved it. Thanks for sharing. Throw your calorie counter out the door on this one. But worth every calorie.

Kensi says:

I made this cake and it was yum-o! Thanks for an awesome recipe! I just love your blog! I can’t wait to make your rainbow cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday!!!

[...] I was a bit nervous about the two sticks of butter that Christy of The Girl Who Ate Everything and Jenny of Picky Palate put in. I couldn’t bring myself to do it. So I cut down the butter to one stick and it came [...]

sherry says:

Can’t wait to make these…but I have one questions…I am assuming all purpose flour since you put baking powder but wanted to make sure…Thanks

hiba says:

I was looking for a good cinnabun recipe and this is the one! I’m so going to try it!
    THANKS!

These look totally worth the splurge. Insane!

Mona says:

Oh my oh my.. As soon as I read this recipe, I rushed to the kitchen and……….. Le voila !!!
    Very delightful buns..I used the pan as u mentioned… U have always been my #1 food bloger .. Thank you for sharing it with us..

melanie says:

this is the most ugliest thing i have ever seen but the most delicious thing i have tasted

Great website. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you for your sweat!

Rene' says:

I made this today and it’s so delicious and easy, not to mention my house smells divine, thank you! I especially appreciate the caveat about the bubbling overflow. I wanted badly to turn these into cupcakes so I protected my oven with foil and made both cupcakes and small mini cakes that I baked in individual spring form pans. The plus side of the overflowing buttery sugar is that it made for delicious nibbling as I peeled it off of the foil ;) I posted photos on my blog but they don’t look nearly as lovely as yours!

Michele says:

I made this yesterday for my son’s hockey team, oh my goodness! this was awesome, it got gobbled up in minutes. I did halve the topping and icing because I didn’t want it to sweet and added 1 tsp of cinnamon to the cake batter.

are all uggs fake online says:

strongzz Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is fantastic, as well as the content!

shannon says:

There are too many posts to read to see if there is an answer to my question. Did you use the nuts in this recipe?

shannon says:

Thanks for answering! I do like nuts, but this recipe seems like it would just be delicious without them…buttery cake melting in your mouth! Thanks for all of your recipes. I lover every single one of them!

ValHallaGirl says:

I made these this morning on my day off and just ran them up to work..they loved them! I did make mine in cupcakes but put a cookie sheet underneath!

Hilarry says:

Oh my gosh!!!! These look sooooo good!!!!

April says:

Thank you Mrs. Adams! I just made this and wow is it good! The hubby says “that’s freaking good” so I’ll be making this one again. Most of my filling sank to the bottom but it didn’t keep me from eating it. A little slice of heaven. Thank you for posting.

TAMI COOPER says:

OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS AWESOME, I MADE THIS AND MADE MY SELF SICK ON IT COULD NOT STOP EATING IT. MY FAMILY LOVED IT.

Kelly Hoffer says:

what is the over temp?

gina miller says:

??what temp oven??

I and my friends have been studying the good items found on your site and all of the sudden I had a horrible feeling I had not thanked the web blog owner for those tips. Most of the young boys are actually as a consequence stimulated to read through them and have in effect definitely been having fun with those things. Appreciation for simply being considerably considerate and then for opting for varieties of useful subject matter millions of individuals are really needing to learn about. Our sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to you sooner.

Melissa Herndon says:

I just made this today. Wow! Does my house smell yummy! This is a wonderful cake. I am sure I will be making this again. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Amanda says:

Thanks for this recipe! I spoiled my girls with it for breakfast (we usually don’t eat stuff this sugary.) That being said, I will probably cut back on the sugar next time as well as only make half of the filling and half of the topping (I had MORE than plenty of both for a 9×13.) Even though I checked with a tooth pick, I still had a pretty raw center after baking for 35 minutes. Would probably bake closer to 40 min next time. Delicious!!!

Darmowe fora says:

There are some interesting points at some point on this page but I don’t determine if I see them all center to heart. There is some validity but Let me take hold opinion until I explore it further. Great post , thanks and we want far more! Included in FeedBurner in addition

[...]      Cinnamon Roll Cake Time: 15 minutes hands on Yield: 12 generous slices Recipe from Picky Palate PRINT RECIPE  PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE CAKE: 3 C flour 1/4 t salt 1 C sugar 4 t baking powder [...]

Konae Putman says:

I made this minus 1/2 c butter in the cinnamon mixture and it was fabulous!!!! Thanks!

Kerry says:

This is to die for! I baked it in a roasting pan and ended up more of a slice than a cake, but the edges went all crispy and golden – delicious.

chris says:

there is no oven temp listed for the cinnbon cake. I assume it is 350 ?

[…] Recipe just slightly adapted from Picky Palate. […]