Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Sep
2008

No Monkey Business!

Tags:

Breakfast and Brunch

I love 3 day weekends, but why do I get so mixed up as to what day it is. I was thinking it was Saturday all day today. I guess there are not too many Mondays we spend all day swimming and BBQ’ing. I was also able to squeeze in another yoga session this weekend and I am happy to report there were no tooters in class, thank goodness. I parked my mat in the corner by a nice lady to be safe!

This morning I had my cute niece Courtney over and we made these fun “mini” Monkey Bread inspired treats. This just confirmed my mini fetish, I am a freak! Talk about a breakfast treat. Cinnamon and sugar coated bread dough drenched in sweet buttery caramel sauce that turns crunchy and sweet, I was in heaven!

This is a great recipe to get the kids involved. The kids can help cut the dough into little pieces with their “safe” scissors and have fun tossing it in the cinnamon sugar mix. It takes a whole 10-15 minutes of prep time then it’s in the oven. It wouldn’t be a treat of mine without a sweet drizzle, so drizzle away!

Monkey Bread Bites with Sweet Cream Drizzle

1 roll Pillsbury French Bread Loaf

6 Tablespoons Sugar

3 Tablespoons cinnamon

½ Cup butter, (1 stick)

½ Cup brown sugar

½ Cup powdered sugar

2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove bread roll from packaging and carefully unroll so it is in a rectangle. Fold dough in half with long ends folded over each other; press edges slightly. With scissors, cut dough into ½ inch strips then cut each strip into ½ inch little cubes. Combine sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl. Gently toss all pieces of dough into sugar mixture.

2. Spray a 12 count traditional muffin pan with non stick cooking spray. Divide bread pieces into the 12 muffin cups with or without paper liners. Set aside.

3. Place butter and brown sugar into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until melted and bubbly. Pour evenly over each muffin cup.

4. Bake for 18-20 minute or until bread is cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

5. Place powdered sugar into a small bowl and slowly whisk in heavy cream until smooth and desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over each little cup. Serve monkey bites warm or at room temperature. I ate them all day and they were good warm or room temperature.

12 servings

Have a great short week! I’ll be back soon to post some of the good grub we had over the long weekend!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

These look great! I bet you are the favorite aunt!

Prudy says:

Thanks for a fun and fast breakfast treat. I know they’d go over big around here. We like to make them when we have extra dough leftover from making homemade bread or rolls. Glad you had a scent free yoga session this time.

~Holly says:

I love monkey bread and what a fun idea to use muffin tins!! :)

The Snell Family says:

Okay your killing me :):) 7 months preggo and normally not a sugar craver, but I will tell you this…these will be made this week :):) I made the mini cinnabuns the other day and DH thought they were the best things ever!! I told him “chalk another one up to Jenny on the picky palate” he thinks your an amazing cook!!!

Emiline says:

I’ve never made monkey bread. It sounds really good! I could use some…I’m craving donuts.

I’ve never tried Pillsbury French bread before. I like their thin crust pizza dough.

Stephanie says:

So cute! I’ve always loved monkey bread. This takes it up a step from kid-friendly to my-kid-raves-every-time-I-make-this. How fun!

Bridgett says:

Monkey bread is divine and what fun that must have been spending time baking with your niece. The icing looks fantastic.

BrineS says:

thechocolistas.com

Deborah @ Comfort Joy Designs
    comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com

Colleen @ Mommie Daze
    mommiedaze.com

Pam says:

Oh, I am drooling. My children would love these. I guess I know what I am making for breakfast on Saturday.

Clumbsy Cookie says:

You are really the mini treats queen! And I love it! That does sound fun and delicious! I want some for my breakfast now!!!

Mandy says:

Monkey bread muffins, I love it!

Aggie says:

Another yummy sweet treat! I bet my kids would love this (and of course me too!).

3 day weekends are the best!

Carrie says:

Those look awesome! I will have to try them.

Emily says:

I love monkey bread! The best school days were days when we’d wake up and my mom had made it for breakfast! I love your mini creations!

hot garlic says:

Yum! Breakfast of champs for sure. They looks uber tasty!

Kim says:

Nothing like a good hunk of monkey bread to enjoy!

hot garlic says:

Um ya, that was supposed to be ‘look’. Er, I speaks english REEAL good.

Katrina says:

You and I are both on the same wave length with the mini things! Love the monkey bread, how cute and fun. My 4 year old keeps asking me when I’m ever going to make cinnamon rolls again, maybe we’ll do something like this. Thanks.

carol says:

Hmmmmmm…these make my whole wheat toast look not so appetizing!!! :) They look WONDERFUL-I’ll have to tell my daughter about these-she’ got 2 little guys which “mini” is the perfect size for!
    Jenny-I don’t know how you come up with all these wonderful ideas…but however you do it, PLEASE don’t stop!

Thanks Barbara!

Sweet, but great for brunch. I bet they’d be great with a homemade roll recipe. Yum!

Hi Holly,
    Really fun in little muffin tins.

Hi Snell Family,
    So glad your family enjoyed the cinnamon rolls! Enjoy these too! Your are so lucky to not crave treats when you are pregnant. I crave everything sweet!

Hey Emiline,
    Do try some, you’ll love them.

Thanks Stephanie!

Hi Bridgett,
    Yes, anytime my niece comes over we are in the kitchen cooking something up!

I’ll check it out Brines, thanks.

Hi Pam,
    Hope you enjoy!

Me too Rita, drats we ate them all yesterday.

Thanks Mandy, Aggie and Carrie!

Lucky you Emily, it was always cold cereal for us in the morning!

Hi Natalie,
    It was uber tasty for sure!

Thanks Kimmy,
    Enjoy CA this week you lucky!

Hi Katrina,
    I’m going to check out your mini treat too!

Hi Carol,
    I’ll keep on cooking and baking! Thanks for your great comments!

Steph says:

Jenny, I had this idea sitting in my brain for a while now! I absolutely LOVE monkey bread, and I was thinking of making them mini! Great minds think alike!

Monkey bread is a staple at our house. My husband loves it! Yours looks really really good!

I haven’t done yoga in awhile…I need to get back at it.

HoneyB says:

your too cool! I want to come monkey around in your kitchen (and probably gain about 20 pounds in the process!) LOL.

mikky says:

Hey, these look really good… oh, i really want a bite… :)

RecipeGirl says:

Monkey bread rocks! And, yes… I was confused all weekend as to what day it was!! Hope you had a good one :)

Lucy says:

Jenny, what a wonderful idea of making these in a mini version, love it!! TY for you’re sweet comment ;-)

Too funny Steph, we obviously think very much alike!

Hi Maria,
    I hadn’t made monkey bread in a while and it was such a treat. I think we’ll be making it again very soon!

Anytime Shelby!

Thanks Mikky!

Glad to know I’m not the only one Lori!

Thanks Lucy!

Sara says:

Cute monkey bread cups! I would love these for breakfast, especially with extra drizzle!

Sharon says:

Yum, I love monkey bread! I have some mini bundt pans I’d love to make these in.

I was so confused all weekend. I kept wondering why all the stores weren’t closed early yesterday because I thought it was Sunday!

Stephanie says:

Yum! I love that this uses the pillsbury french bread. Super easy! I love monkey bread and I also love mini things! Mini gives you just the right serving, plus you don’t feel bad eating two of something:)

Me too Sara! The more drizzle the better!

Sharon,
    How cute would these be in mini bundt pans?!! Great idea!

Hi Stephanie,
    I agree, I love Pillsbury french bread. Quick and easy!

Claire says:

I tried to do mini monkey bread one time using some mini “bundt” (glass) pans from my grandmothers. Didn’t quite work as nicely as this!

Live.Love.Eat says:

So cool!! Monkey Bread, never made it before. How suuweeet to be able to bake with your fam!!!!!

michela says:

hi jenny???
    how are u? I’m Michela from Rome Italy.
    visit my blog and look my dish “fondu savoyarde”

thanks, kiss
    please read and tell me if you understand

Jeena says:

More mini treats!!! :-D

These look so tasty and great fun to make.

Amy says:

Okay…I love the mini obsession…I too love the mini farfalles, I feel like my kids will think that they are cuter and more appetizing! I must have missed the tooters post, I am still laughing!

Lisa says:

Mini monkey bread! My kids would go bananas over this (couldn’t resist) :)

Leslie says:

Oh come on…what fun is Yoga without a tooter!!!LOL
    These little monkey minis are oh too cute and delish!!

Rachel says:

These look sooooo yummy! I love little things like this. I am going to get my kids to help me make these! Thanks!

The Stevens says:

You are so fabulous and talented! I always enjoy seeing what you have “whipped” up in your kitchen- you truly have an amazing talent.Thanks for improving my own baking skills:)
    Wendi

Hi Claire,
    I wonder why it didn’t work in the glass dish? Interesting…

Hi Stephanie,
    I love having her over, it’s the only girl I’ll be having!!

Hi Michela,
    So glad you went for the english version! I loved your post!

Thanks Jeena!

Hi Amy,
    I just found the rest of the line of mini pastas, they are great. Yes the tooting yogi was too much for me!

Thanks Lisa and Leslie!

These are so much fun for the kids Rachel, enjoy!

Stevens,
    Your site is beautiful! Best of luck with your business!

~Priscilla~ says:

yummy jenny these look so good. i guess that means i will have to try them out.:)

Mommy's Kitchen says:

Jenny that monkey bread looks awesome. I could pull a piece off right now that picture is so great.

1215656559s20768 says:

These are too cute, Jenny. I love monkey bread, especially with drizzle.

Deanna says:

We LOVE monkey bread. We make it for Sunday night suppers at least once a month. Never any worries about leftovers with this recipe!

Mary Ann says:

Very nice photos! These look absolutely fabulous!

Amy says:

I love monkey bread! These look great!! Can’t wait to try the drizzle:)

snozzberries says:

WOW!!! I was doing some blog hopping and found myself on here!!!! Big mistake!!!! I think I just gained 20lbs. just by looking at your pics!!!!! Love the mini theme!!! I can’t wait to make some of this stuff(and start my diet after that monkey bread!!!) Just wanted to give you props!!!

Sarah says:

These look so delicious! I love monkey bread so I will have to give these a try one day. I love your blog and I’ve watched you on Food Network several times (I’m a FN addict). Anyway, I hope you don’t mind, but I added you to my blogroll on my blog. :)

Have a great day!

Sarah
    mrsjy.blogspot.com

Welcome snoozeberries (love the name!) and Sarah! Great to have you here! I look forward to chit chatting about more good food with you soon! Sarah, thanks for adding me to your blog roll!