Sep
2008

Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada

Tags:

Dinner

Phew, one trip down, one to go. NY here I come again! Yikes, this time I’ll be flying solo, I have to admit I am a little nervous. Wish I was more independent, guess I’ll be learning how on this trip!

Before I head off to finish up my last minute packing, thought I’d share this great Mexi dish I made for dinner tonight. One word of advice, double check that you are getting the MILD Rotel tomatoes for this recipe, the original is really spicy and I even like spicy. Break out the Pillsbury pie crust again, it is flaky and ready to roll out.

No sweating in the kitchen for this one, you’ll have it in the oven in about 5 minutes if you use the canned Costco chicken like I did. I don’t use it that often, but when you don’t feel like cooking dinner, it’s a great lifesaver!

Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada

1 roll Pillsbury Pie crust, thawed

1 can chunk chicken (from Costco), or about 1 ½ Cups cooked shredded chicken

1 drained can Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies

½ Cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves

1 Teaspoon Ranch dressing seasoning, from packet that makes the dip

1 teaspoon cumin

Pinch of salt and pepper

½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

¼ teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place chicken, tomatoes, cilantro, ranch seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper into a large bowl. With a fork, stir and cut up chicken pieces until well combined. Pour chicken mixture into the center of pie crust and top with cheddar cheese, leaving about 1 ½ inch border around edges. Fold crust up over chicken forming little pleats every 2 inches or so pressing gently. Brush edges with olive oil and sprinkle crust with garlic salt.

3. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown on edges. Let cool for 5 minutes then cut into wedges to serve.

4 Servings

Have A Great Week! See you all Sunday Night!

Comments

~Priscilla~ says:

whoa, i am the first to comment?! yeah! looks yummy, hope you have a safe flight(s)!

Barbara Bakes says:

Jenny – what are you up to? Curiouser and curiouser. I’ll stay tuned for an update!

Stephanie says:

Ooh, that looks so good! What a great dinner idea. Have fun in NY! I’ve always enjoyed flying by myself, it’s pretty fun; I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Project Couture Vintage says:

My mouth is watering! However you found time to post this is beyond me! Have a safe flight…you should’ve borrowed my handheld games for your flights! Call me!

HoneyB says:

This looks delicious! Have another safe trip! How exciting for you :)

Beth says:

If its quick and easy then Im in for sure. Looks delish. Enjoy NYC!!

Kim says:

New York is a blast! Have fun and thanks for leaving us with a good meal.

Feed the moose says:

Even though it’s 7:30 in the morning, I’m still salivating looking at this dish! I can’t wait to try it and I’ll let you know when I do!

Aggie says:

This looks great Jenny! Have a safe trip!

Mary says:

Jenny,

This looks really good! Have a great trip.

koopermom says:

Yum! Your food always looks so good!

Mary Ann says:

This looks wonderful. What a great dinner idea. Have fun!!

hot garlic says:

I can’t believe you cooked dinner in your flash home! Haven’t you ever heard of a pizza / hambuger / taco night?!

This sounds really good and easy. I love anything sweet or savory made with pastry.

Good luck, have a great trip!

Stephanie says:

That is a great recipe. Super easy, but looks complicated! I love it. I am definitely making this. Have a great trip!!

Looks awesome! Another trip? You are a lucky girl!

Amy says:

This looks absolutely delicious!! I am going to try this right away!! We LOVE all Mexican food!!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Oh wow. Another one to add to my increasingly long sidebar list of morsels to make. I will actually use Original Rotel because we definitely like it spicy and I always use it in my artichoke dip. This really looks to die for.

Pam says:

Yum. This looks comforting an good. Have an fun trip back to NY.

Grace says:

i tend to prefer my pastry for dessert, but this would be a welcome change! this is a very inventive and delicious-looking creation–nicely done, jenny!

Deborah says:

Have fun in NY, again! I’ve traveled solo a few times, and although it’s a bit nerve wracking, I’m sure you’ll do just great!

Great dinner idea!

Leslie says:

Yum yum yum!!
    You will do fine solo!
    Just buy another purse and you will feel ALLL better!!!LOL

Dawn says:

Don’t you love those premade pie crusts? I just made a quiche with it, so easy.
    Back to nyc again? This time you have to go to Levain. Trust me you will be inspired to make their cookies.
    have fun, be safe

jvaughn0311 says:

This sounds so yummy, I’ve gotta try this one out sometime!!

Sara says:

Looks yummy, and so easy! Love it! Have a safe flight, and a great trip! What are you up to? Can’t wait to hear. I’m sure its something amazing!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Have fun AGAIN in NY! You lucky girl! I’m sure you’ll do fine on your own. As you did with this crostata. So easy, fast and great looking!
    Please do share more about NY!

Sara says:

This looks great and simple! I’ll definately be making it for the hubby, in between my business trips this week.

carol says:

Oh WOW-I love how easy this is! I’ll be making this one for sure!
    Have a great trip to NY….again….safe travel to you Jenny! Can’t wait to hear what you’re up to!!!!! :)

Bridgett says:

Now that is a great, simple dinner idea. Full of flavor too it seems. Enjoy your flight!

Big T says:

I’m making this for tonights dinner. Looks so yummy and perfect for a cooler night!

Lisa says:

What a great meal! Good luck on your trip! Can’t wait to hear about it. I was in NYC today to be in the audience of the Martha Stewart show.

Laura says:

I just discovered the amazingness of your recipes! I have several I can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing!

1215656559s20768 says:

Looks delicious, Jenny, and very easy. You’ll be a pro at finding your way around New York by the time you get home.-Lorie

Katherine Aucoin says:

Jenny that looks so yummy. Have a wonderful trip.

Amber says:

Have a great trip! I have always wanted to go to NY, maybe some day I will get there! Nothing wrong with a little help from chicken in a can and Pillsbury! It looks great!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

This is the answer for what I have been craving! I have been trying to think of a new mexi dish to break up the monotony of taco tuesday and this is it! My hubby will be so excited! Thanks!

Lori Lynn says:

Hi Jenny – I am a fan of Pillsbury Pie Crust too, given my limited baking skills, I use them to make quiche and am pleased with the results.

Great idea, your crostada!

Thanks for visiting my blog! See you soon!

Lori Lynn

Patsyk says:

Jenny – have a great 2nd trip to NYC!

This recipe is right up my alley… and it looks simple enough for a weeknight!

Mandy says:

Good luck in NYC again!! This looks like a super and quick dinner, what a great weeknight idea!

Maggie says:

Thanks, now I know what we are having for dinner tonight! Have a safe flight and have fun in New York!

Erin says:

Hi Jenny! I’ve been trying to figure out how to create a blog-link button/widget. I noticed that you have one for the Picky Palate that you share on your sidebar. I’ve spend forever on photobucket trying to figure it out. Did you use photobucket to install that widget? I’m sure it’s easy to do, but somehow it’s evading me…. :)
    Anyway, I posted one of your recipes on The Sisters Cafe today. I loved it. And all your recipes for that matter. :)
    -Erin at The Sisters Cafe

Laurie says:

I made this tonight and it was DELICIOUS! The bottom of the pic crust didn’t cook all the way in the 30 minutes, so I baked it a little longer. Maybe I just used a crappy pan…no worries – I’ll be trying it again and again and again. It was SO GOOD!

alexandra's kitchen says:

I love free form tarts. I have one recipe for a savory free form tart, like this one, that I have yet to make this summer. This looks like a wonderful combination.

NatNibbles says:

What a great idea! Gotta love pillsbury. I gotta try that recipe :)

Sarah says:

I don’t remember how I got to your blog — Tip Junkie, maybe? I came for the Spaghetti muffin cups (8/7/08) that I am trying tonight! FYI — used the leftover dough to wrap around apple slices w/ brown sugar and cinnamon and threw it in the oven for a while. My kids are wondering what in heaven’s name got into me! :-)

I am REALLY enjoying your blog — I TOTALLY have a picky eater and love the things you come up with!

Jeena says:

This is so tasty and you don’t have to bake the pastry first either, great!

Hope you have a lovely trip again. :-)

Mandy says:

Looks like another fabulous recipe! I’m adding this to my “to make” pile. Also, I’m passing on an excellence award to you for your blog! You can see it on my blog. Enjoy!

Jaime says:

looks like a great weeknight meal!

G. says:

Hi! I found your blog through “Cook It Blog It”! This recipe looks great…I may have to try it. Thanks.

Alleen says:

I searched 3 grocery stores and the only frozen Pillsbury crust I could find was already in a pie pan. Couldn’t find any that you roll out. I took it out of the pan and used it. But, it was really thin and fell apart around the edges. So, it really wouldn’t fold up over the filling. It still tasted wonderful, but definitely didn’t work in the execution for me.

renae says:

This sounds fantastic! I have a similar one but it’s mayo based and, I have to admit, pretty bland! I think this one will be a perfect addition to football gatherings! And I totally agree about the canned Costco chicken – very good and saves a ton of time!