Sharing a quick fix taco soup today that is perfect for busy weeknights and feeding a crowd! My easy taco soup recipe is prepared in just minutes! Top with your favorite taco toppings.
My Favorite Homemade Taco Soup
This taco soup has been a classic recipe on Picky Palate since 2008! So simple to whip up if you are in need of a quick fix dinner. I also love serving taco soup when I’m feeding a crowd. it goes a long way with your favorite toppings added to each bowl. Hope you enjoy!
What You’ll Need
*See bottom of post for entire recipe in printable recipe card.
- extra virgin olive oil
- lean ground beef
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- chicken broth
- black beans
- kidney beans
- white beans or garbanzo beans
- Rotel mild diced tomatoes
- Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix
- ground cumin
- Toppings such as sour cream shredded cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro leaves
How To Make Taco Soup
- Place oil into a large 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper; cook until brown and crumbled.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, Ranch Dressing mix, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans and white beans, stirring to combine.
- Simmer on low until ready to serve.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Top each bowl with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro leaves if desired.
Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until onions have softened. Use a large 5 quart heavy bottom pot to make your soup.
Brown ground beef with onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until browned.
Stir in broth.
Once you’ve drained all three beans and corn, add to pot along with diced tomatoes. Add the dry Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix and ground cumin. Stir to combine and simmer for 20-30 minutes at the minimum before serving. When I’ve got the time, I like to simmer on low for a few hours before serving.
Can I Make This a Crockpot Taco Soup?
Yes, saute the onion and garlic on the stovetop and brown the beef. Transfer the cooked beef mixture to crockpot and add remaining ingredients (minus toppings). Close crockpot lid and let cook on low for 3-6 hours until ready to serve.
I like to set up an area with bowls of toppings for my guests. I’ll have a big bowl of tortilla chips for crushing into bowls, shredded cheese, sour cream and cilantro leaves to name a few. Other topping ideas could be chopped green onion, salsa, crumbled bacon too.
Can I Freeze Taco Soup?
Yes, place soup into an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw soup before re-heating.
Quick Fix Taco Soup Recipe
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- chef knife
- cutting board
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mined garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ounce pkg dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 2 10 ounce cans rotel mild tomatoes
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans drained
- 15 ounce can white beans drained
- Place oil into a large 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until onions are softened. Add ground beef, salt and pepper; cook until brown and crumbled. Add chicken broth, cumin, Ranch Dressing mix, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans and white beans, stirring to combine. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Top each bowl with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro leaves if desired.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board!