Oct
2008

Famous Gourmet Mac and Cheese, Artisanal Style…

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

Well, we survived day one of Fall Break around here. I even made it through the day without hearing, “I’m bored Mom, what are we going to do today that’s fun?!” So, we’re off to a good start!

While in NYC a couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to dine at Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro with 2 nice ladies from Pillsbury, which was a complete treat! The second you step foot into the quaint restaurant, you are overwhelmed with the smell of crazy cheeses. Some may think it stinks, but something about it reminded me of being in Paris even though I’ve never been. The menu was simple yet impressive and had me drooling trying to decide what to order. I ended up ordering a Summer Vegetable Risotto that was seriously incredible. I nearly licked the bowl clean and didn’t care who was watching. I couldn’t have lived with myself had I not ordered a side of mac and cheese. We heard from numerous people that it’s the best around. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Buttery crispy panko bread crumbs on top and cheesy pasta goodness underneath cooked in the cutest individual baking dishes. It was by far one of my favorite mac and cheeses yet.

The best part of this post is Chef Brennan shares and even demonstrates his famous mac and cheese recipe on howdini.com for all of us to enjoy. I ended up making it 2 different times last week and it tastes identical to one I ordered at the restaurant. Talk about hitting the jackpot! Next time you need to impress some guests, break out this recipe and bring a little fine dining to your kitchen tables!

Chef Terrance Brennan’s Gourmet Mac and Cheese

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

7 ½ Tbs Butter, divided

¼ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Flour

3 Cups milk

2 ¼ Cups gruyere, shredded

½ Cup mascarpone cheese

¾ Cup bread crumbs

¼ Cup Parmesan Reggiano, grated

salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil and add the elbow macaroni. Cook until it’s al dente, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. While the macaroni is boiling, slowly melt 5 1/2 Tbs of butter over medium high heat in a medium sauce pan.
  3. Add the flour, stirring, cook together for a minute or so. Do not brown the mixture; you want a blonde roux. Add the milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Bring mixture to a boil and continue whisking. Lower heat and simmer for about five minutes until it thickens.
  4. While the milk is simmering, combine 2 Tbs butter and the bread crumbs, and melt together in a separate pan.
  5. Add the Parmesan cheese. This adds another layer of flavor so it’s not one-dimensional. Just cook until the butter is melted. Remove from heat.
  6. When the milk is ready, add the mascarpone cheese. Then add gruyere cheese and whisk it in, and as soon as until it’s melted, remove from the heat. This will happen quickly because the gruyere cheese should be grated and at room temperature.
  7. Season with salt and black pepper and whisk to combine. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce, mix it well, and when it’s nicely incorporated, spoon it out into a cooking dish.
  8. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top, using your hands to pat it down to make sure it’s nice and evenly dispersed all over the surface. The topping becomes very crunchy when it bakes. Cook for about 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy your mac! I’ll be back with more smack, ok I’m totally lame.

Comments

Bridgett says:

Who wouldn’t love an adult version of mac and cheese? This looks wonderful and comforting. Perfect for fall…or winter! We are in our second week of fall break and so far no one is bored yet. I don’t know how I am getting so lucky, but I won’t question it!

Kerry says:

This totally makes me hungry. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Pam says:

You can’t get better than this. It looks perfectly cheesy, creamy and with a crispy top. Delicious!

Barbara Bakes says:

What a fabulous mac and cheese recipe!

Emiline says:

Ahhh! I have to make this. I love mac and cheese and I’m always looking for new recipes.

Care says:

I don’t know if it’s the time of night that I am looking at this but I can totally taste it! Way delish! You make life so enjoyable!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

I NEED to make that soon! Maybe this week! I love it has mascarpone! This must be delicious Jenny! I think adults should eat more mac and cheese!

Prudy says:

I love coming home from good restaurants and recreating the food. In this case you really had the recipe so no guesswork involved. Bonus!

Sara says:

This looks great! I love adult versions of mac & cheese.

Super Healthy Kids says:

This reminds me of the mac and cheese my grandma used to make! Thanks for the recipe!

carol says:

My weakness….mac and cheese….and a grown up version to boot? Crispy, creamy, cheesey…I fear I’d have a very hard time controlling myself with this one!
    Can’t wait till you’re back with more smack…hey, you’re a poet-didn’tcha know it? And now I am…yeah right, I’ll keep my day job!!! :)

Katherine Aucoin says:

Your mac-n-cheese looks wonderful. This is truly a cool weather comfort food.

Mary says:

Jennie, this looks like an incredible recipe. Mac and cheese is now one of the ‘in’ foods. Thanks for sharing!

1215656559s20768 says:

This looks delicious!

I love the different cheeses you used. A more sophisticated mac and cheese, I love it!

alexandra's kitchen says:

I recognize that pan! I think it’s bigger than mine. I love mac and cheese and I have all of the ingredients t make this on hand. yum!

ps: I met Max McCallman (sp?) several years ago — he’s the cheesemonger at Artisanal and has written a few books — but I have yet to get too Artisanal. Sounds like a blast!

Mary Ann says:

I am going to give this a try. Homemade Mac is the best, it seriously makes me wonder how I got the orange stuff down. (No offense to Kraft, but the real thing is so much better). This looks wonderful, thank you for sharing!

Thanks Bridgett,
    I love a good mac and cheese and this one is fantastic!

Hi Kerry! It makes me hungry too!! Hope you are doing well!

I agree Pam!

Thanks Barbara!

You’d love it Emily, I’m even craving it for breakfast!

Thanks Care!

Hi Rita,
    Yes, I think the mascarpone adds some magic to the recipe, it’s flat out incredible!

I know Prudy,
    How cool that the recipe is available to all of us!

Me too Sara!

Sounds like your grandma was a great cook, super healthy kids!

LOL Carol! I could only wish I was a poet! Mac is my weakness too!

Yes Katherine,
    The ultimate comfort food!

I think you are right Mary, it’s so “in” right now!

Thanks #’s and Maria!

Hi Alexandra,
    My pans are actually really small, they just look big in the picture. Aren’t they fun though?

Hi Mary Ann,
    It’s funny, I still don’t mind the good ol Kraft that my boys eat. But look out when homemade mac comes to the table!

Cara says:

I am excited to try this! The best mac and cheese I have had is from Zingerman’s Deli, amazing. I can’t wait to see how this compares!

Deborah says:

There’s nothing better than good mac and cheese! Now I’m craving some!

Allie says:

Oh yum there’s nothing better then finding the perfect mac and cheese!

Heather says:

That looks incredible and so satisfying.

Candy says:

I’m so hungry right now and this didn’t help! It looks wonderful!

The Blonde Duck says:

That looks so tasty. I love it!

Hi Cara,
    Yum, let me know how it compares!

I agree Deborah!

Hi Allie,
    I agree, it’s great this time of year!

Thanks Heather!

Hi Candy,
    I know, I’m starving right now too.

Thanks Blonde Duck!

Lore says:

It’s nothing like a good comfy food to embrace the begining of autumn. Delish as always Jenny!

Bob says:

Oh wow. That looks just incredible. I wish my girlfriend would eat real mac and cheese. She will only eat boxed.

Stephanie says:

That looks great! How awesome that he demonstrated how to make it and now you can make that great mac n cheese any time you want! That’s really cool.

nicole says:

This looks like the perfect mac and cheese. I love when there is more then one type of cheese in it. It just makes the dish even creamier.YUM!

Meg says:

That looks absolutely amazing! Now, that is a true comfort food!

Patsyk says:

I’m going to have to drag my husband into NYC for that restaurant! Yum!

The mac and cheese looks incredible! Definitely comfort food to go with the cooler temps we have here!

Jamie says:

Wow this looks so amazing, perfect a chilly, fall day! Yum!

Live.Love.Eat says:

How can this be anything less than amazing with gruyere and mascarpone. I am going to have to make this even if it’s to pig out on all by myself. Oh Jenny, YOU complete me :)

Katrina says:

Looks divine! So if I was going to NY, say next month and have only two lunches and one dinner (maybe it’s two and two) would you say this place is a must go-to? Would my husband think it’s too much (as he calls it) relief society food? Just wondering!

Helene says:

I never make Mac&Cheese. Maybe I should start, the boys would love it.

I totally agree Lore!

What, boxed mac and cheese only? Bob, you’ve got some work to do!

I know, I was so excited to hear about the demo Stephanie!

Me too Nicole,
    The mascarpone is so good inside.

Thanks Meg!

Definitely Patsy, you won’t be disappointed!

Thanks Jamie!

LOL Stephanie! I’d pig out on a whole dish myself too!

Yes Katrina! I think my husband may have thrown a fit of the smell, but the food was incredible. Just have you husband order the mac! Have fun in NY, I’m totally jealous!

Emily says:

Mmmmmmmm! Talk about comfort food! I am going to have to make this!
    It sounds like you had so much fun in NYC!

Beth says:

My all time favourite comfort food..and also a great hangover cure – well for me anyway!!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

homemade mac and cheese is one of my very favorite things and I have been craving it this past week, so I can’t wait to make this tonight for dinner. My kids will be thrilled!

Tasty Trends says:

mac n cheese is an addiction for me! yum!!! all the cheesy, gooey goodness is soo comforting!

Sara says:

Love your famous mac! It seems so easy, and looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing!

HoneyB says:

This looks SO DELICIOUS! Makes me want it for dinner!

Maris says:

I’ve been to Artisinal before, their fondue is soo yummy but I didn’t like the veggies they gave you for dipping.

Your mac and cheese looks better than any I’ve ever had out. There are some meals that I think are better when other people make for you: sandwiches, pasta, omelets. But then there are some things I’d traditionally only have at home, like pot roast, lasagna and macaroni and cheese (you definitely proved me wrong on the mac and cheese though! :)

Project Couture Vintage says:

Oh Jen, you’ve really outdone yourself…those Halloween foods are SO cute! You’re really so talented!!!

~Priscilla~ says:

that looks so good!! great pics!:)

Hi Emily,
    You’d love this and yes, had a great time in NY, I want to go back!

I agree Beth, it is the ultimate comfort food!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth,
    You’ll have to let me know how you like it!

Tasty Trends,
    Me too, who can resist a good mac!?

Hi Sara,
    That’s the best part of this, it’s a breeze to make!

Thanks Shelby!

Hi Maris,
    Glad you’ve been to Artisanal. I really wanted to try their fondue, so many choices!

Oh, kimmy, I think you were talking about the halloween post, unless you think mac and cheese is soooo cute!

Thanks Priscilla!

Lucy says:

Oooh Jenny, that looks and sounds so mmmmm a real pleaser w/those cheeses. I would have never thought of adding mascarpone cheese… you can bet I will be trying this.. TY

kamailesfood says:

Baked mac ‘n cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. This looks delicious.

Leslie says:

oh yes..I WILL be making this one!!
    Thanks for sharing this cheesy goodness with us!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

THANK YOU!!! This looks so outrageously good! What a great find!