Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Feb
2010

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies? Yes!

Tags: , ,

Cookies

Have I got a treat for you today right before Valentines day!

I was getting ready to cut my traditional sugar cookies in the shape of hearts for this post and a little light bulb went off!  I don’t know if I was craving cinnamon rolls or what, but I thought to myself….I am soooo making these sugar cookies into cinnamon rolls!  Brace yourself friends, you will NOT be able to stop eating these, they are that good.

My husband and I both agree the only way to enjoy these beauties is after they’ve chilled in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Talk about heaven :)  I’ll stop talking so you can go make these quickly, make them for your Valentine and he or she will LOVE you forever!!

Roll your chilled dough into about a 12 inch x 5 inch oval.

Just pretend that I’m not spreading all that butter over cookie dough, we’ll all feel better :)

Brown sugar is next up

Then the Cinnamon!

Time to roll into a cute little log, then use a sharp knife to cut into slices

Place onto your baking sheet

Baked to perfection, I’m drooling just thinking about them again

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting

No words needed!

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup sour cream
6 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons softened butter, (slice 2 Tablespoons 6 times totaling 12 tablespoons)
1 1/2 Cups packed light brown sugar, divided into 1/4 Cups
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon, divided

Frosting
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
2-4 Tablespoons milk, to thin icing

1. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.

2. In 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.

3. Once chilled, cut each disc into thirds and roll into a 1/8 inch thick oval, about 12 inches X 5 inches.  Spread each rolled pieces of dough with 2 Tablespoons softened butter, 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.  Start rolling from the long end closest to you, rolling into a log shape.  Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch pieces of dough then placing onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

4.  To prepare frosting, beat the cream cheese until softened and smooth, slowly add powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency.  Frost cookies then place in refrigerator until ready to serve.  These are 100 times better chilled, trust me!!

Makes at least 6 dozen

Comments

Lisa says:

I had a problem with my dough sticking as well. I really, really want to make these but it turned into a complete disaster. Maybe another cup of flour? Maybe not enough refrigerator time? I’m also not sure what is meant by “place in plastic wrap in a disc shape”? Maybe because it’s midnight and I should actually be sleeping :-) If anyone has suggestions about the super sticky dough please let me know!

Kathy says:

These are amazing!!! My husband LOVES snickerdoodles. These are so much more fun than snickerdoodles and way yummier too. You have totally inspired me to start combining different ideas to come up with new recipes. Thanks!!

[...] I made these cinnamon roll sugar cookies. They seriously taste like a cinnamon roll in cookie form. I recommend you making them ASAP! I made [...]

Nicky Shova says:

I made these cookies over the weekend, my family and friends loved them! They were a hit! Thanks for the recipe!

Esther says:

I tried them the other day. They were all gone in less than a week! What a hit!

Mandiannie says:

i made them this week and though the didn’t look as lovely as your do, they were delicious! I posted a link to this recipe on a site that I posted the picture of mine on. Hope that’s alright.

Angela says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made them for my mom this mother’s day because she loves cinnamon and my whole family thought they were great. Thanks a lot. Please keep posting more recipes. :)

Tony says:

Just made them for Mother’s Day… AMAZING! Everyone loved them! Thanks for the recipe :)

These look amazing. I am going to try them tonight and I thank you in advance for posting the recipe!

K says:

These have existed in Quebec for years! They’re called (forgive my french) Pets de soeurs. Translation… Nun Farts LoL. Totally true… Vivre Quebec ;D.
    K

Tiffany says:

Growing up we made something similar called pin wheels using pie crust. Same concept…roll out, cover with cinnamon and sugar, roll up and cut about a half inch wide. However we never put any frosting on them.

Nakita says:

Soooo making these! YUM. Thanks :)

Westmonster says:

Oh wow, these look and sound amazing! I think I’ll try them right after your Fluffernutters. IF they go down alright. Otherwise… I’ll still have to try these. :D

Mandy C says:

My sis-in-law made these for my baby shower last weekend and they were SOOO good! I’ll be making this weekend for a big brunch at my in-laws. Thank you, its genius!

Vanessa says:

I am in the process of making these cookies right now. I didn’t realize it make 6 dozen cookies, haha. My boys are going to eat them all tomorrow anyway. When I say “my boys” I mean full grown men. Starving artists indeed!lol.

Vanessa says:

I sent this advice to my friend who, on trying the ones I made, decided to make her own.

Make sure when you roll the dough out, there’s PLENTY of flour on the counter. One of my dough… thingies… got stuck to the counter a little. Also, don’t skimp on the brown sugar or cinnamon. The butter you spread on the dough has to be good and melty or it will put divits in the dough. Also, it yeilds more than 6 dozen cookies. Also, the dough is really crumbley so when you cut the rolls to put them on the baking sheet- be careful.

That being said- These are my new favorite cookies and will be added to the line-up of Holiday season goodies I make every year.

Alexandra says:

I’m making these right now, I’ve never made a sugar cookie before so i hope they turn out well. The ones on your page look totally awesome! i hope mine taste just as good as your’s.

lydia says:

SO GOOD! just as good as they look!!!

Stephanie says:

has anyone done this without the sour cream? i’ve never heard of sour cream in my sugar cookies so was just wondering what it would be like without?

mightymousiest says:

These cookies were awesome! I couldn’t find the vanilla in my house, so I used the same amount of maple syrup and it was delicious. To the person who asked about the sour cream in the recipe: #1 Thanks for pointing out there’s sour cream in the recipe! If not for you, I would have had to make two trips to the grocery store. I should read more carefully. #2 I tend to hate sour cream, but you definitely cannot taste it in this recipe. It works really well. These cookies are superb and definitely chill them before you eat them. Worth the wait!

Jenny G says:

I made these last night except the dough wasn’t rolling out for me so I put some of the dough in mini muffin pans, then brushed with butter topped with brown sugar and cinnamon, then put a tiny bit of dough on top. They turned out great!

Laurabien says:

Ok, now you have gone too far.Cinnamon and sugar cookies…. uuuggghhhh I am going to become as big as a house if you keep posting recipies like this!!! They look so ridiculously delish I am going to have to make them….. now.

these look divine! I will try it someday. thanks!

[...] two favorite comfort foods into one.  Jenny from Picky Palate did just that when she created cinnamon roll sugar cookies.   Her inspiration came from a craving and voila the dainty but tempting cookies.  She loads [...]

These look soooo delicious. Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for posting.

Evelyn says:

This takes me back…My mom would make these when she had left over pie dough. They were always gone before the pie! Never occurred to me to make them on purpose!

ansleigh says:

these look amazing! i definitely plan to make these i just need an opportunity to do so! kudos

Hannah says:

I had to try this recipe as soon as I read it, they are amazing!

lauralynne says:

I just made a batch myself, and I must say they are delicious! -And that I agree they are even better chilled! Thanks so much! They are a hit with my family:)

Lisa says:

oh my god these are soooo amaazinggggg… i haven’t frosted them yet but here is a picture :)

Lorna says:

Made these tonight for our weekly Fun Friday swimming day – they didn’t look quite as good as yours. With that said, they were AWESOME tasting. I gave one without the frosting to one of my girls and she LOVED it! I frosted some and not the others. They are good both ways. Looking forward to tasting them tomorrow after spending the night in the refrigerator. Good recipe!

I do want to know why my cookies were “meltier” looking. They didn’t hold their shape as well – not sure why.

Nourhan Kay says:

Hey! Just made these a few days ago and they turned out WONDERFULLY! You’re right–100x better when refrigerated! Thanks for recipe! :)
    Here they are on my blog–they don’t look as cookie-like as yours, but they are soo tasty!

Mama_B says:

That’s more how mine turned out too. After the first pan I used a floured drinking glass to press them down a bit to make them a bit flatter. It worked, but they’re still more like yours than the originals.

Mama_B says:

I am making these tonight for church snack tomorrow. Can’t wait to try them!

Margaret says:

I made these today – they are delicious!
    Thanks for sharing. :)

[...] Picky Palette (my kids aren’t picky, their mama, OTOH, leans that way…), I found these cookies.  My daughter, from across the room, shouted “Make those cinnamon rolls, mama!!”  I [...]

Stephanie says:

I just made these today but the dough was SUPER sticky. Is that how it is supposed to be or did I miss something? Thanks for sharing the great recipe.

Matt says:

mmmm icing! Thanks for this recipe, will give it a go!

Hannah Heiser says:

This is hands down the best cookie dough I have ever tasted. The cookies were even better. They smelled exactly like cinnamon rolls and definitely tasted better than one! I can’t wait to make them again! :)

Caf5964 says:

Loved these cookies They have become a holiday favorite

[...] recipe comes from Picky Palate, and I found it while stumbling around the internet :) As their title says, Yes! These cookies are [...]

Lindsay says:

I have attempted to make these twice now and each time, it seems as though the dough is too soft, sticks to everything and absolutely will not roll and can’t be cut right. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I’ve ended up with 2 messes that had to be thrown away. :(

Jen says:

Just made these last night (and ate some for breakfast this morning!). These are amazing. They do puff up quite a bit, so don’t worry if they look small on the baking sheet before you pop them in the oven. Thank you so much for sharing!

Cinds says:

These were amazing – I adore cinnamon, thanks so much. Btw, if anybody is after a great profiterole recipe I stumbled across this one – it’s excellent:

sam says:

these sound AMAZING! I’m going to make them as soon as I go out and get some cream cheese. I’ll post a link back here on my blog when I add them.

Erin says:

I made these tonight and they were great! All your ideas are so fun and yummy! :D

Cookie Gifts says:

I am absolutely making these as a gift for my dad for father’s day!

Mandy says:

I’ve made these too using pie crust…yummy!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Astrid says:

I just made these – totally wonderful! thank you so much for the inspiration!