Apr
2011

Brown Butter and Fleur de Sel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tags: , , , ,

Cookies

Wondering what the heck Fleur de Sel is?  Well, it’s simly a fancy French sea salt.  No need to panic.  If you can not find this gorgeous salt, you can substitute sea salt or even kosher salt and be just fine:)

A couple weeks ago, I was creating salted carmels that some of you may have caught on my Facebook page.  That is when I picked up Fleur de Sel sea salt.  I will warn you, it is a little pricey, but yowza it made the perfect salted caramels that you will see in the cookbook and it was the perfect touch to these chocolate chip cookies!

Have you ever made brown butter chocolate chip cookies?  Well, if you haven’t do yourself a favor and do it…..now :)  It is much easier than you might think.  The nutty aroma that comes from brown butter is really unbelievable and it makes a gorgeous buttery crisp yet chewy in the center cookie.

Hope you all enjoy!

Here’s that gorgeous sea salt.  Found mine at a local grocery store here in CA.

A little closer look :)

Here are the stages of browning butter….see below for the color you are looking for.

Here you have it.  A nice golden brown with little bits that form at the bottom.  Let the butter cool for a good 5 minutes before adding to the sugars.  I’ve done it without waiting and it melts your chocolate chips if you don’t wait, which makes for a not as pretty cookie.

So, you’ll add your brown butter right to your sugars.  Make sure you add those little brown bits too, in the second picture.  You’ll mix just like normal, but it will look much different that you are used to.  Don’t panic :)  You’ll add your eggs and vanilla, mixing as usual.

Get your dry ingredients ready.  I add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to the dough then I add a little on top.

Time to mix.  Add your chips right after the flour.

Here’s your dough.  Sneak a little bite.  I can never pass up that opportunity :)

Pretty little things aren’t they?

Don’t be afraid to add a pinch of sea salt to the tops.  It’s the perfect sweet and salty combo :)

Ta-da!  Enjoy :)

Brown Butter and Fleur de Sel Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks (1 cup) butter

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon Fleur de Sel or sea salt

One 10-ounce bag chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper

2.  Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat, swirling pan to melt.  Once melted watch carefully.  Butter will foam, boil then little brown bits will start to form around sides and bottom of pan.  Once butter turns a golden brown and has a very nutty aroma, remove from heat.  I transfer mine to a bowl so cooking stops.  Let cool for 5 minutes.

3.  Place both sugars into stand or electric mixer.  Add brown butter and mix until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined.  Place flour, baking soda and Fleur de Sel/sea salt into a large bowl.  Slowly add to wet ingredients then add in chocolate chips, mixing until just combined.  Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet with a medium sized cookie scoop and sprinkle tops with additional Fleur de Sel/sea salt.  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until cooked through.  Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.

Makes 3 dozen cookies

_________________________________

Have a great rest of your week!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Kathryn says:

Wow, these look awesome. I know what I’ll be making this weekend!

Now I know what to do with all of my caramel!

I am loving cookies with a salty bite these days! I need to get my hands on some good Fleur de Sel

i JUST got a huge bag of fleur de sel as a gift yesterday (guess that means i’m pretty loved!) and i am making these immediately. perfect!

Oh Jenny, these look amazing! So soft and moist, I can just tell the from the pics! Mmmm, good!

Thanks for the step by step of the butter. Probably a PITA for you to upload but thank you b/c now I know just how brown is browned (darker than I would have thought) so thank you for that tutorial :)

I love salty chocolate chip cookies. A must make! I had to giggle at your last post- your ugly chocolate chip cookie story. So funny!

I LOVE fleur de sel! so delicious, and I love that the little flakes show up on everything you add it to.

Ohhh…. These sound so fancy and delicious too! By the way congrats on the whole cookbook thing! So happy for you and can’t wait to check it out!

Yummers! These looks terrific! Love that salty sweet combo!

Kulsum says:

I have been meaning to try brown butter cookies for a while and this look irresistible!

EatLiveRun says:

now you’re speaking my language—love that sweet and savory! These are beautiful, Jenny!

Brown butter makes everything better & that is all there is to it. These cookies look amazing & I love the addition of fleur de sel :)

Melinda says:

These look so good – I love a sweet & salty combo..especially when it has chocolate!

Stacey W. says:

Those look amazing so now I’m adding that special salt to my list and I hope I can find it. Also, I’m loving those super cute measuring cups in the pictures. Where did you find those?

Hi Stacey, I found those at Pier 1 Imports a year or so ago. Haven’t been there in a while, but it’s worth a look :) They were only about 12 bucks for the whole set. I Love them!

Two of my favorite things! I can’t wait to try these!

These are absolutely gorgeous. Anything sweet with a bit of salt added is just perfection :) Love your idea to use the browned butter!

Is there anything more beautiful than browned butter? These cookies look amazing. I just picked up some sea salt (in Feb, does time fly that quickly?) when I was back home in New Hampshire – this looks like a great way to use it!!

everything tastes better with browned butter and fleur de sel.

Wenderly says:

These cookies look amazing love!

Beth says:

I wonder which chocolate chips would be tastiest with these, milk chocolate or semi-sweet. It’s probably a matter of personal preference, but anyone have an opinion to share? Which did you use, Jenny? Thanks! I love browned butter.

Lindsay says:

Wow!! I will definitely be trying those. I love your LA cookie, so I know these will be good. It looks like you used milk chocolate chips?

Liz says:

Yum, Jenny! I’m with you on the brown butter – I think it takes regular chocolate chip cookies from good to great!

Erin A says:

mmmm salt. That sounds like my kinda cookie.

Wow! My jaw dropped when I saw these. I love the sweet/salty combo :)

Marci says:

So i love love your website!! Although lately you are killing me with all these amazing sweets!! :) I have gestational diabetes and every post makes my mouth water and makes me desire all things sugary again!! Your an awesome cook. Thanks for sharing all your ideas!

Oh Marci,
      I am so sorry about your gestational diabetes! I’ve had friends with that and it does not sound fun at all! Hope you are doing well, and best of luck to you!!

Jenn says:

I love browned butter & am a big sweet & salty fan – so I must make these cookies. :) Where did you get the cute measuring cups in the last photo?

These look tasty! I recently made my first batch of browned butter cc cookies, so good!

And any sweet/salty combo is a winner in my book!

Tessa says:

These look amazing. I love a great chocolate chip cookie!

Katrina says:

These look awesome. Brown butter makes everything better!

Kristen says:

What darling photos! These little nibblers sound so good.

I can just taste those now – amazing. Still need to get one of those cookie scoops…

Jessica says:

These look wonderful! I have been following your blog for months now and I am so inspired! You are so creative and I have made some of your recipes and they do not disappoint. :)

I am finally looking into purchasing a Kitchenaid Mixer – any suggestions on what series to get?

Heather says:

Within hours of reading this post, I was baking these cookies! I just finished eating one – YUM! I have tried a lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes and this is my favorite – BY FAR! And they look beautiful!

These look crazy good, I NEED to make these! Genius!

Bee says:

I never make non-brown-buttered chocolate chip cookies anymore, I just will never go back! The cookie dough, also, is the BEST cookie dough I’ve ever had. I’ve had to stop myself from inhaling an entire bowl pre-baking. The salt worries me though… I’m more of a sweet than savory gal myself :)

Rebecca Kipe says:

you are killing me with all these amazing cookies…cookies are my “thing” so i’m thrilled to find more for my collection. will definitely make these. i’ve been making cookies for years and lately mine are getting so flat…these look beautiful…any idea why these are such a nice shape?

Hi Rebecca,
      It’s a finicky thing, but I’ve found that when I use real butter and my flour/butter ratio is right, they turn out beautifully. I just play around with a bunch of different measurements :)

Sandy Z says:

These look AMAZING and I am going to make them this weekend! Silly question, but do you use unsalted butter or salted? I am afraid to make it too salty! Thanks again for making so many yummy treats! Can’t wait for your cook book :)

Kate says:

These are torturing me, I must make them as soon as I have time! Question, do you like your sil pat mats? I have some on my wedding registry and hope they’re as great as I think they’ll be.

I could not survive without my collection of silpat mats!! I use them almost daily, no joke :) You can also use parchment paper, but I like my silpats!!

rebekah says:

I LOVE browned butter chocolate chip cookies…. I have a recipe for some similar on by blog with browned butter, fleur de sel and homemade brown sugar! YUM!!! I also love to use milk chocolate chips in them – it pairs so so well.

[...] more your speed? How about these Brown Butter and Fleur de Sel Chocolate Chip Cookies from the Picky Palate [...]

I love your cookie recipes!

[...] Brown Butter and Fleur de Sel Chocolate Chip Cookies @Picky Palette [...]

Brown Butter makes everything better! I am so glad I came across this recipe and cannot wait to test it out!

These look great! I’ve never used browned butter, but I sure want to try!

THESE LOOK AMAZING ok i think i’ve made up my mind about what to bake today!

Amanda says:

These look so fabulous, I can almost taste them. :) Love the brown butter and sea salt combo!

These look so yummy! It must be chocolate cookie day, I posted and have seen several around the net, I’m grabbing this recipe though for my next bake, thanks!

-Brenda

Wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Sanjeeta kk says:

Wow!! Must be one amongst the best cookies I have seen on the net recently! Never tried brown butter..and salt in cookies. Lovely, innovative and awesome post :)