Apr
2011

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs

Tags: , , , ,

Desserts

I am getting so excited for Easter.  We get to spend the weekend with our family in AZ, I really can not wait.  I whipped up these simple and adorable chocolate covered peanut butter eggs last week that you are going to just love.

Wilton has a zillion colored candy melts that I picked up at Michaels last week along with those cute paper liners.  I could get in big trouble at Michaels if I am there too long.  So many fun things.  Anyway, have your kids help coat each chilled peanut butter egg with the chocolate, they will love it!

Hope you enjoy!!

Here is what I used for the recipe.  Pretty easy right?

I only used maybe a fourth of each bag which means you can create other fun treats another time.  I dipped Oreos in these last year and they were a huge hit.

Place your peanut butter into a large bowl.

Add your powdered sugar.

Mix, mix mix!  I used my hands half way through to speed the process up.

Once mixed, use a large cookie scoop to help form the eggs.

You’ll start like this and with your hands form the dough into little egg shapes.

Like this.  Mine are far from perfect, but it works anyway.

Let the coating begin.  Start with one color at a time when melting your chocolate.  You’ll coat 4-5 eggs per color.

Here’s the green.

The white.

The pretty pink ones.  Let them harden then it’s time to serve!

Arrange them onto a cake stand and you are good to go!

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs

2 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Wilton Candy Melts in yellow, pink, green and white

Non-parils for sprinkling on top

1.  Place peanut butter and sugar into a large bowl, mix until combined.  I used my hands half way through mixing with a spoon.  Dough will be pretty firm.  With a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop 3-4 tablespoons of dough into your hands and shape into eggs.  Freeze for 30 minutes to an hour until hardened.  Note:  I only froze mine for 15 minutes and I was able to continue, it’s just easier if dough is hardened.

2.  Start with one color of candy melts at a time.  Coat 4-5 peanut butter eggs with chocolate and place onto parchment or wax paper.  Sprinkle with non-parils quickly as chocolate hardens fast.  It’s important to work in batches so your chocolate doesn’t harden on you.  Continue coating all of your eggs until they’ve all been coated and sprinkled.  Let chocolate harden and serve.  Enjoy room temperature or chilled.

Makes 20-25 eggs

_______________________________

Have a great new week, come back soon!!

Comments

kimberlycun says:

so, so dainty and cute! love the colours!

This is genius! I love all the beautiful colors. :)

So pretty! And such a simple recipe. Love it! Easter isn’t complete without peanut butter eggs. :)

Your eggs came out so pretty! They probably taste amazing, too.

Love this homemade version. They are so cute!

these are so cute! and i love that you can make your own eggs…i honestly just get all of mine from the store :)

Jenny….amazing work! And what a great recipe. The thing I love about your recipes is that they are easy, not fussy, they use real stuff that we all want to eat (even if some people won’t blog about eating powdered sugar…I will! haha!) but you just make me want to make everything you post about :)

HOW ADORABLE! And delicious…

Meghan says:

My girls will love this!

Caroline says:

Love these! The colors are so perfect!

Hmmmm, you have my gears spinning now to create some fun Easter confections. These PB candies look awesome! xo

These are beautiful! I cannot wait to make them with my kids. I love the cake stand. Care to share where you found it?

Hi corinna,
      I bought the cake stand at TJ Maxx quite a while ago. Never hurts to check though :) I always find great kitchen goodies there!

These are so pretty!

I LOVE Peanut Butter Eggs…. and when I say LOVE I mean like I buy a bag and will hide them from my husband and anyone eles so only I can enjoy the awesomeness of the Peanut butter eggs lol! My husband loves them just as much so I wouldnt be surprised to see that he had hidden some either! I will def be making these tis easter! they are so delish!

These are absolutely adorable! I am obsessed with the Reese’s eggs this time a year…more pb than a regular peanut butter cup!

Kim says:

These are adorable but there is one problem….the candy coating is NOT chocolate at all but vanilla flavored – I just looked at a bag in my cupboard. So you might want to rethink the title as there is absolutely no chocolate in these and it is a little misleading. Sorry to be a buzz kill….. they certainly are darling!

I definitely thought of that, but they taste like chocolate, lol! So….I will keep my title :)

Savannahjayde says:

White chocolate isn’t really chocolate anyway. But everyone still calls it that…so, the title is still fitting. :)

Erica says:

I was going to ask the same thing… I went to three different stores yesterday trying to find CHOCOLATE flavored colored melts. The people at the store thought I was crazy. “No – no – I need the CHOCOLATE version of this item… not the vanilla one.” “Ma’am – that’s the only one they make…”

These are so pretty, Jenny. What a fun project to do with the kids.

How cute, and so easy! Perfect for kids. Maybe not a 6-month old, but I’ll have to save it :)

EatLiveRun says:

fun! these are absolutely adorable!

Melissa says:

My mom just gave me half a bag of candy melts…now I know what to do with them!

These are precious. I am impressed how organized everything looks!

So cute!! I made these last week, but I used graham cracker crumbs too…I never even thought of just using all powdered sugar!! They look great, as always. :)

Kristan xoxo

is it weird I want to lick my computer screen?

[...] “must-do’s,” including finally installing that car seat and making these Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs.  Seriously.  These are #1 on my to-do list for Tuesday [...]

These are perfect for Easter/spring time!

Love all of the pretty colors. Great idea for spring

Amanda says:

How fun are these PB eggs? Gorgeous! Have a wonderful time in AZ with the family. Miss you! :)

Katrina says:

These are adorable! Lovely recipe.

T. says:

They look just like Reese’s eggs…but pastel!! Fabu! They would make a great side to the “Reester” Bunny I always pick up for The Hubs.

Becca says:

Oh Jen…. they are ADORABLE! I’m SO glad I didn’t read this post until I had finished up my homework for the weekend, because I am quite sure that I would have had to forgo studying for my law exam in lieu of making a batch or two of these!

Melinda says:

These look so cute and delicious! So festive. I love the colors, but I’d probably end up doing it with dark chocolate..I’m such a sucker for dark chocolate and peanut butter. Maybe some colorful sprinkles instead? :)

Jackie says:

Aww, no actual chocolate in this recipe. Cute, though, and I’m sure quite scrumptious.

Beth says:

I am so making these for Easter! Sooooo cute! Thanks for the recipe, and I’m so glad to have found your blog!

i always get PB cravings! this will help me feed my addiction and fast too!

kathy says:

Okay, I need a “…for Dummies” version. Do you hold the egg in your hand and spread the chocolate on it or do you dip the egg in chocolate? Yours look so perfect!

Emily says:

These are 100% of the list for Easter….hello peanut butter and chocolate!!! The perfect combination!!!

Food, Fashion, Marriage

These are absolutely precious! Love it!

Meghan says:

These are too darn cute! I plan on making these for my in-laws and have a question. We have to travel and I was wondering how long you think these would stay fresh (I’m assuming in the fridge)? We have to travel Thursday so I would have to make them Tues or Wed. Do you think they would still taste just as delicious on Friday? Thank you!

susan says:

My dd is allergic to dairy, eggs and gluten. So pleased to find a recipe that I can use for her. I’ll use a dark chocolate that has no dairy and viola! She’ll have an awesome Easter treat! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

rachel Dell says:

ooooooh. i love them. and they look super easy. and impressive. i shall be trying this. try and stop me!

Kerry says:

I can’t wait to make these… I am totally bringing these for Easter!!

[...] Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs [...]

Susie says:

I’ll second the question on the easiest way to “dip” them?

Also, do you have an approximation of how much in weight I would buy of the melts? I can buy them in bulk.

[...] Saturday – Flank Steak Tacos w/Cilantro Lime Marinade Sunday – Easter! I am making Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs [...]

Love these! How festive and perfect for Easter! Plus peanut butter eggs are my most favorite Easter treat :)

sheri grennille says:

We just finished making these and i have a couple of comments, if you don’t mind…
    We used skippy regular peanut butter and it was not that hard to mix and it needed at least 30-45 minutes to get hard. We did use a cookie scoop (approx. 2T) to portion and then dipped fingers in water to form egg shapes. A single bag (14 oz.) of candy melts would probably have done the entire batch (we made coconut eggs from another site as well). The spooning over the top went very nicely albeit a bit messy. The blue and yellow look very pretty with easter sprinkles or with colored sugar (we also made purple and that seemed a little to dark. The finished eggs need to be in the fridge though, because they get very soft at room temperature. They do taste very good!

I may have to add this to my dessert list for Sunday! They’re adorable.

[...] favorites.  This year, I decided to change it up a little after seeing these adorable eggs at Picky Palate.  Rather than using chocolate, pastel candy melts are used to cover the peanut butter [...]

[...] Chocolate-covered peanut butter eggs. (via The Kitchn) [...]