Aug
2011

Inside Look: Behind The Scenes of The Picky Palate Cookbook Shoot

There are moments in my life where I have to step back for a moment and realize how incredibly blessed I am.  Last week was one of those moments.  I had the privilege of watching Matt Armendariz and Adam Pearson photograph and style some of the recipes in my upcoming cookbook.  It was too fun to spend the week at their Long Beach studio and watch them work magic with my recipes.  I LOVE this first photo of Matt prepping my Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies (that Gaby Dalkin baked perfectly).

I snapped these photos with my iPhone so I wouldn’t forget the amazing time I had watching my recipes come to life through Adam’s impecable styling and Matt’s amazing camera.  Hope you enjoy an inside peek at the Picky Palate Cookbook Shoot last week :)

Here you have a glimpse of the prop table (left) that was set for the recipes and the photo board (right) where each shot was pinned up.  One of the highlights of my week was getting to chat with Matt, Adam and their great staff.  There is a story behind each and every prop.  Some where bought in flea markets from France, some from ebay, and others from different parts of the country. LOVED the stories behind each piece :)

Here are my fun Oreo Stuffed Cookies getting beautified and photographed.  I love this shot and that old wooden board!

Matt, hard at work shooting some fabulous brownies :)

There sits my homemade apple pie with the most perfect crust prepared by Adam.  The finished shot was stunning.

Matt checking out the image on the computer.  Love.

Matt and Adam discussing options for my chicken taco bake….that I love :)

My favorite homemade chocolate cupcakes getting  photographed :)

My honeyed apple peanut butter tart was so photogenic, just wait until you see this final shot!

Adam dusting powdered sugar while we were rocking out to 80’s hits on our last day of shooting.  These guys are so unbelievably talented.  I will never forget the fun times we had last week.

Hope you enjoyed this sneak peek!

Comments

Kathryn says:

This looks like so much fun! I’m so excited to see your cookbook when it comes out :)

Amy K says:

That is fantastic! Congratulations! I can’t wait to see the finished product.l

wow… you’re living my dream… congratulations :)

Jenny, I am so proud and happy for you! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

I attended a workshop with Matt and Adam about 6 mos ago at their studio. When I say it changed my life and the course of my life, I am not kidding. Truly it made me want to pursue photography as a life path, in whatever capacity that manifests. Matt & Adam are so inspirational and such sweet, funny, just great guys!

You deserve to be working with them and to have the best! CONGRATS and I can’t wait for your book! Exciting!!!!!!

Averie,
      Isn’t the studio great?! Those guys are so talented, I am just glad I could be there for the week to watch them work….incredible! Thanks for your sweet comment.

Oh my gosh, Jenny, this must’ve been such a surreal experience! I’m so excited for your book to come out. Everything looks great :)

jessie says:

congrats! i can’t wait to buy it! i love all your recipes so thanks :)

Cool sneak peak, thanks :) How exciting for you. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Bev Weidner says:

OOOO this is so exciting! Congrats! I cannot wait to eat my way through your book. MY GAWD.

(see you in Nashville this October!)

How fun and exciting! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Pamela Shank says:

I cannot even imagine how exciting that was. I saw a little story on Matt a few weeks ago,I think on Cooking Channel…very interesting. I wondered if you would have to re make all of the recipes you had already done. What a job. Excited also to buy your cookbook.

Kathy says:

looks awesome I can’t wait for the cookbook (I hope it can be shipped to Canada)I love to bake & you have some awesome recipes! it must be so surreal to see this taking place!

Amazing! I’m glad you shared the behind the scenes shots with all of us. All too often we forget to take ‘behind the scenes’ photos in our every day life. Kids helping with dinner, playing in the yard, traveling in the car, etc. Love it!

patcook says:

How interesting! Good luck with the publication. Can’t wait to see it, Jenny.

jenna says:

what a dream come true! how awesome jennY!

Gasp! What fun…and surreal right?! I rejoice with you Jenny! You are deserving Girl!

Jess says:

How exciting!!! I love all your recipes! Your cookbook will be an automatic buy for our house! Yeay!

What a dream team you have!!! I bet you keep pinching yourself. :) Enjoy every moment!

Jenny this gave me goosebumps! It is amazing seeing how proud you are of each piece and how humble you are too! Love it

susan says:

there is nothing more fun than writing/creating a book. have fun with it, enjoy every minute of it, and soon – you will relish in the fruits of your labor!

How exciting! These photos (and the delicious creations in them) look beautiful, and I can’t wait to see the book as a finished product. Congratulations!!

Ashley says:

When is it going to come out I seriously cannot wait!

How fun! I’m fascinated by food styling but have absolutely no talent in that department whatsoever.

Emily says:

Wow girl, congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment!

teresa says:

Jenny this is AMAZING!
    What a treat to watch your food come to life like this!
    This is just WOW…I mean truly!
    CONGRATS!
    Have fun with Amanda this week!
    You two are too adorable together!
    xo

Jessica says:

I cannot wait for this cookbook to be in my kitchen! I make at least one or two recipes of yours a week (sometimes more!) and they never disappoint! So do you know what month the cookbook will be out yet or is it still in the works?

Liz says:

Congrats! I can’t wait to buy your cookbook once it hits stores!

Heather says:

Can’t wait to see (and taste the goodies from your cookbook Jenny! I am so excited for you!

Years ago my hubby and I owned our own juice and smoothie bar. We hired food photographers and food stylists with our photo shoot. Now only if I could do the same for my photo’s! LOL.
    This looks like a fun and wonderful time in your life! Enjoy it and CONGRATS!! I’m a huge fan and can’t wait to for the cook book to come out!

That is SOOOO cool! So snazzy! Eee! Can’t wait for the book! :-)

Matt says:

Jenny, it was a pleasure and honor to work with you and gain 7 lbs from those recipes! THOSE RECIPES!

Sometimes I feel as if I’m living a dream. When I get to work with people like you I realize how blessed I am.

Absolutely cannot wait for the book. Thank you so much for this post, it’s so fun to see the process through your eyes!

This is so cool to be able to see! I can’t wait to purchase your book! :)

Sarah E. says:

Looks like a ton of fun!!! Cannot wait for the cookbook :))

Matt says:

by the way… HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART HONEYED APPLE PEANUT BUTTER TART oh my goodness.

Kimiko says:

This was in Long Beach?! How cool! (I live in LB!) Thank you for sharing these pictures with us…it looks like so much fun. I can’t wait to see the cookbook. I will definitely buy a copy when it comes out!

JennyH. says:

Oh wow. Wonderful to see all this action happening. When can we buy the book??? Will it be outside the United States?? Do hope so – your recipes are delicious. Well done you. JennyH.

Oh my Jenny! This is so exciting. I’m so happy for you and look forward to adding your cookbook to my ever-growing collection! Wish it was already published! :)

Sarah says:

So excited for your cookbook! Can’t wait for it to come out!!

Mads says:

Wow! I bet that whole shoot was completely surreal for you. Spectacular!
    I can’t wait for the book :)

Casey says:

Yay!! I can’t wait for the cookbook to come out!!!

Bakerella says:

Jenny – that pie looks amazing. Can’t wait to see the finished pics.

linda says:

this is such a wonderful post for all your followers…loved seeing the process of the photography…& WOW! such talents working on your book…& to you…the talented & creative author…CANNOT WAIT TO PURCHASE!!

What fun guys to work with. Looking forward to the book!

Kim Terry says:

Jenny – Awesome post! I secretly have a minor food photography obsession! Loved seeing these behind the scenes shots. I love your pictures just as much though! So excited for you and the cookbook, when is it going to be available for purchase? Do you have a waiting list for impatient people like me that don’t want to miss out on being one of the 1st to have it? LOL
    PS. My waistline hates you but my taste buds love you.

This is so exciting!! Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes and CAN’T wait to get my hands on the final copy! All your hard work will soon be paid off, well done love!

Caroline says:

Jenny! You are so amazing! I remember the day you sent the Relief Society the address to your new blog and I have been hooked ever since! I am so happy for you and I will ask for your cookbook as soon as it is published! Hmmm? Christmas? I can’t wait!

Gaby says:

your book is going to be gorgeous girl!! So happy I got to see you last week and get a sneak peak at all the great recipes :)

The pictures look amazing- and totally fun! When’s the cookbook coming out? I can’t wait!