Mar
2012

Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

Tags:

Desserts

A couple weeks ago I stopped in a Starbucks to get a yogurt parfait and saw the famous Starbucks iced lemon pound cake in the case I just had to have.  After one bite, I knew I wanted to re-create my own recipe for it.

Let’s just say I did it!  Well, I am sure it’s not their recipe, but boy does it taste just like it :)  My boys went nuts over this cake and my oldest has requested it for his birthday cake, lol!

It’s that good people and shhhh, don’t tell but I start the recipe from a cake mix.  Trust me, no one will ever know.  Happy baking!!

Here’s your simple line up of ingredients.

In no particular order, add all of your cake ingredients to the mixer.

Add your lemon pudding and milk.

4 beautiful large eggs.

Your oil and sour cream.

Freshly squeezed lemon juice :)  Mmmm!

Once mixed nicely, divide the batter between your loaf pans (9×5).

How gorgeous is this?!  Wait until you taste it.

While the cakes are cooling, prepare the tangy icing.

Drizzle, drizzle and drizzle!

I am speechless.  Lol!

Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

1 box yellow cake mix

4.3 ounce cook and serve Lemon OR 3.4 ounce instant Lemon pudding mix

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

8 ounces sour cream

6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray 2 loaf pans (9×5) generously with cooking spray.

2. Place all cake ingredients in no particular order into stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide cake batter between two prepared 9×5 loaf pans spreading evenly. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before removing loaves from pans.

3. To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a large bowl. Drizzle in lemon juice stirring until smooth and thick. Should be a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cakes after they are completely cooled, and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing. Otherwise slice while still wet if desired.

Makes about 24 slices

Note: You can make this same recipe into cupcakes, small loaves and even a layered cake. Adjust baking time accordingly.

_____________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

This post contains affiliate links

Comments

Jenny this looks so good (and easy)! You are the master of making things easy, straightforward, delish, and beautiful. And I love that Starbucks pound cake but try to not buy it! Now I don’t have to :)

Megan says:

I was honestly JUST searching for this recipe last night!! Yay!!!!

Kathryn says:

I love that lemon cake from Starbucks – it’s one of my favourites especially with that awesome icing drizzle!

Francesca says:

My FAVORITE pound cake EVER! I used to get a slice everyday in college along with a Caramel Macchiato. I just have to make this! Luscious, Luscious cake! Can’t thank you enough. It looks JUST like the cake at Starbucks. YUM!

Priyanka says:

Great recipe. I love lemon cakes and this looks so inviting

I love lemon pound cake! The only problem is that I will eat the whole entire thing myself :)

Julie Chiou says:

I made this a few months ago and had I known to use cake mix — it would’ve saved me so much more time and money (haha so much butter!!)..this looks absolutely delicious, Jenny — and I love the glaze and how yellow the cake is — so lemony!!

ErinG says:

This looks fabulous! One of my favorite treats from Starbucks – I’m so glad to try this at home.

One question I’m dying to know the answer to…..what is that lovely nail polish color you are wearing in the photo’s? I must have it!

Callie says:

Oh my goodness this looks so delish! Jenny you speak to me…making things super easy and so very tasty! I used to sneak a small bite of this when I worked at Starbucks years ago :)

Jennifer says:

I always thought Starbucks pastries looked good, until it hit me that they freeze them overnight and thaw them in the morning. Something unappetizing about that… This recipe looks delicious!

lilkunta says:

@jennifer marhc 22 2012 534am

inncorrect. I work @ starbucks. The pastries are delivered every day by/from DPI.
      ILPC is soo good but to much calories.

Jenny this looks delicious! I must make it for my boys!

Cassie says:

Loving this, Jenny! I’m all for copycat recipes. My mouth is watering over that glaze!

Tina B says:

Will definitely try this recipe ….looks amazing and easy. Thanks.

Pudding makes the BEST cakes! And cookies too!

I saw a recipe for cake balls made with pudding, and I’m interested in trying it. I need to make cakeballs for a bridal shower, and I don’t have all day to perfect the art of cake balls. For me, conveinence food items (like pudding and cake mixes) ensure a good result everytime. I’m not sure why that is, though.

Thesha says:

This looks so delicous, I have never had Starbucks’ recipe but I love lemon pound cake! Thanks for another great recipe!

Yummy! It looks beautiful!!

Patricia says:

I love that you used a cake mix. I bake gluten-free. Using a mix takes the baking from a chemistry project to simply cooking. Can’t wait to try it!

Thanks for posting it.

Yum!! Both for the cake AND the color of your mixer :D

Lisa says:

OMGosh thank you!! This is one my must buys whenever I go there!!

OMG I’m OBSESSED with that stuff! I usually can’t resist it while I’m at Starbucks either :) I will definitely be trying this soon!

Lauren says:

I got a slice of this on the way home from Orlando and thought about doing the same thing! LOVE lemon!

Mai Nguyen says:

I use to get this all the time!! And now my mouth is drooling for some right now…I’ll definitely be trying this recipe soon! (:

Cristy says:

OMGthatlookssososogood!!!! Nice fingernails, btw. :)

Sometimes starting with a mix is the perfect option. It looks heavenly.

Gwen says:

Did you know your photo shows cook and serve pudding but the recipe calls for instant? I think the instant is the correct ingredient though…I make a plain pound cake that calls for instant vanilla.

Oh thanks for catching that. I did use the cook and serve but have used instant too. Either works fine :)

• Lara says:

I went to the store to get the ingredients to make this pound cake and looked all over for a 4.3 oz box of the lemon pudding. I got the 3.4 oz box hoping your listed recipe was a typo?

Nancy Brown says:

Great recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

Suzanne says:

That looks super delicious! Are those snowflake pjs in the reflection of your mixer.

This recipe just made my day, seriously! For years everytime I go to Starbucks I grab my usual coffee and a slice of their lemon pound cake. Its my little ritual and I love it. This is amazing! Definitely making this if not today very soon! :)

Natalie Merkel says:

I WILL be making this ASAP!

Lisa says:

Looks delicious! Can you make this in a bundt pan?

I have been wanting to make this as well! This must be a sign…right?

Love your doctored up cake mix recipes, this one looks delish !

Always love your photos… so many of them and such good shots.

LOVE the shortcuts in this recipe… pudding, cake mix… perfect! this looks so easy Jenny. I’ve never attempted pound cake before! you have a gift of making complicated recipes into more manageable ones.. that’s why i always come back to picky palate! :)

i seriously was reading this and totally had an Ah-ha moment when I saw you used lemon pudding. it totally makes sense. you are a genius, like Sheldon but way cooler and with baked goods.

Rachel says:

Thank you for the recipe! …..and from the look of the reflection on your mixer bowl, it’s easy enough to make in your jammies!! Win-win!

Ah! Totally love these cakes!!

This looks so yum yum,but i love to bake from scratch for several reason so no cake mix for me! Will u be a dear pls can i have a workable recipe for this?

Not just for kids. Mommy likes these cakes too! Keep the recipes coming. Great site. Lisa Montalva aka The Gourmet Mom

Carol says:

Hi Jenny-that cake looks over the top delicious. I love lemon and know we’ll enjoy this one0I can’t wait to try it.

Quick question-did you happen to notice if the Duncan Hines cake mix you used is the 18.25 oz. one or the new reformulated, DOWNSIZED 16.5 oz.? I’m having a dickens of a time getting recipes I loved and made in the past to come out right with the smaller mixes.

Thanks,

Carol

Mandy says:

Starbucks’s

Eloise says:

all i have on hand is a 3.4 oz pudding box. will that still work, rather than the 4.3 oz?

LOVE this cake from Starbucks! So glad you came up with a recipe and even glad it starts with a box mix. Much easier! :)

MegT says:

Oh. My. Word. This is my go-to snack when I splurge at Starbucks with my Chai Tea. I know, I know, chai tea at Starbucks but it is very good. I am axious to try this cake, it looks very refreshing!

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf says:

I’m loving this! Nothing’s better than a lemon pound cake, and I’m on a citrus kick. Thanks for this!

d says:

I made this tonight in a bundt pan. It took 42 minutes in my oven to get a toothpick to come out with a few moist crumbs. The cake was good warm, but much better and so very moist and yummy 5 hours later. SO good. Thanks for posting!

Wowser! Thanks for a delicious and easy recipe! I should try using pudding in baked goods :)

I can smell them! I really like the idea of making these into cupcakes..and just dipping them in the glaze! Thanks for this great recipe. :)

[...] treat: Copy Cat Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake. Occasionally, if I’m feeling frisky, I like to indulge in a slice of Lemon Pound Cake when [...]