Mar
2012

Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

Tags:

Desserts

A couple weeks ago I stopped in a Starbucks to get a yogurt parfait and saw the famous Starbucks iced lemon pound cake in the case I just had to have.  After one bite, I knew I wanted to re-create my own recipe for it.

Let’s just say I did it!  Well, I am sure it’s not their recipe, but boy does it taste just like it :)  My boys went nuts over this cake and my oldest has requested it for his birthday cake, lol!

It’s that good people and shhhh, don’t tell but I start the recipe from a cake mix.  Trust me, no one will ever know.  Happy baking!!

Here’s your simple line up of ingredients.

In no particular order, add all of your cake ingredients to the mixer.

Add your lemon pudding and milk.

4 beautiful large eggs.

Your oil and sour cream.

Freshly squeezed lemon juice :)  Mmmm!

Once mixed nicely, divide the batter between your loaf pans (9×5).

How gorgeous is this?!  Wait until you taste it.

While the cakes are cooling, prepare the tangy icing.

Drizzle, drizzle and drizzle!

I am speechless.  Lol!

Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

1 box yellow cake mix

4.3 ounce cook and serve Lemon OR 3.4 ounce instant Lemon pudding mix

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

8 ounces sour cream

6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray 2 loaf pans (9×5) generously with cooking spray.

2. Place all cake ingredients in no particular order into stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide cake batter between two prepared 9×5 loaf pans spreading evenly. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before removing loaves from pans.

3. To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a large bowl. Drizzle in lemon juice stirring until smooth and thick. Should be a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cakes after they are completely cooled, and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing. Otherwise slice while still wet if desired.

Makes about 24 slices

Note: You can make this same recipe into cupcakes, small loaves and even a layered cake. Adjust baking time accordingly.

_____________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

This post contains affiliate links

Comments

Wow! This looks amazing! I love how yellow the cake is! When I cook my nails never look that good girl!

Jenny, it is thrilling that you recreated this amazing Starbucks cake!! We will be running over with coffee & milk in hand ;) xo

[...] Recipe I want to make: Starbucks copycat Lemon Cake. [...]

[...] Starbucks Iced Lemon Poundcake Copycat Recipe from Picky Palate [...]

How cute that your son requested to have this for your birthday. The kid stamp-of-approval means everything!

Susannah says:

How do you grease your pans?

The lemon pound cake at Starbucks is one of my favorites! And when I go there, I more than “occasionally” partake in a slice. :) Thanks – this looks just like the real deal!

Anne says:

Lemon pound cake … drool! Thanks for this awesome recipe!

[...] week: Happy Birthday PUPcakes Recipe on Pizzazzerie DIY Hanging Paint Chips Tutorial on Ruffled Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe on Picky [...]

This looks fabulous, Jenny! There’s nothing I love more than good poundcake for breakfast, and this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing. Also, I’m having a great giveaway today with four potential prize winners, so you should enter!

I loooove a good lemon poundcake. I’ve never had the starbucks ones, but I’m sure these are even better!

Bakeaholic says:

Yum. This recipe is exactly like a vanilla cake I make. So, you could really sub in any cake mix and pudding combo you like. This pudding cake always turns out moist and delicious!

Yes please! Love lemon…thanks for sharing!

That is just all kinds of deliciousness! I love the yummy glaze dripping down the sides!

Jeanelle says:

Nice polka dot pj’s!

Julianne says:

Made this yesterday. Very delicious. Used 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup sour cream – next time I will use all Greek yogurt. Also had to use 2 small pks of lemon cook & serve since I couldn’t find a lg pk. Not as dense as pound cake but thick, moist, and tart. Was even better the next day. Will make again – thanks!

Annabelle says:

Did I miss where you might have said what size your loaf pans were? I have several loaf pans and just wanted to make sure I use the right one. Thanks.

Lisa says:

Perfect Spring cake!! I’m making this very soon! Thanks!

Looks gorgeous and so easy to make. The best of both worlds!

Jackie says:

Made this into cupcakes this afternoon. I didn’t have lemon pudding so I used vanilla and added a little extra lemon juice and sugar. They’re extra cute and sunny in flower petal muffin papers.

alan says:

Hi found your website by accident

its wonderful and your pictures and describtions are so clear.

I love to make great desserts and I will try this cake tommorrow with my niece who loves to bake.

What kind of camera do you use?
    best wishes alan

Great to have you here at Picky Palate! Hope you and your niece enjoy the cake :) I use the Canon 7D with the 24-70mm lens and the 100mm macro.

Thanks!

OH! I love copycat recipes! can’t wait to try this one! Thanks :)

Kim says:

Thank You for sharing your recipe. My oldest has a dairy allergy so I think I am going to give this a try using Soy Milk and Vegan Sour Cream~ You think it will turn out equally as good??

I can’t wait to try it.

Carrie says:

Yummm. I wonder if I could bake these, freeze them, and thaw when I’m ready to serve?

Melissa says:

I just made this. I love how it makes two loaves. It is so yummy.

Carolyn says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. I just used your suggestion to turn it into a layer cake for a birthday party at my dad’s work. You can see pictures on my blog at: http://www.carolynscupcakery.blogspot.com/. Thanks again for the great recipe!

Chris says:

I just made the Lemon Pound cake. After they sat in the pan for 10 minutes they were completely sunk in. What did I do wrong?

Susan Kay says:

I was just wondering have you tried this using a lemon cake mix instead of a yellow one? I am going to bake this today. Can’t wait!! Sounds yummy!!!

Lori J says:

My husband LOVES the Starbucks pound cake. Any idea if it would freeze well?

Linda says:

Tried to make this recipe twice. First time I baked 45 minutes & second 55 minutes. Both times it came out of the oven looking beautiful & almost to the top of the pan, but as it cooled it fell to half the size. The taste was great but was packy due to the falling. What am I doing wrong?

Amanda says:

I tried this recipe the way above and it was amazing. So I made some changes and got a few variations of it :)
    Sub. vanilla, orange, lime, etc. extract/juice for the lemon and it comes out just as delicious but different! I dont eat sugar etc. but i LOVE to bake and luckily my dad makes a great taste tester. He loved every variation of this. I did find I could make half the icing and it was plenty for 2 loaves.

Amanda says:

Oh – and grab white cake mix, chocolate, yelow, etc and different pudding flaovrs depending on the flavor you choose.

Mmmm, love Starbucks lemon loaf. Your’s looks beautiful, and cheaper!

Jessica says:

As I type this I have these in the oven. :) I did make a minor change because of what I had in my cupboard. I only had soy milk. Then instead of loafs, I made large muffin size cupcakes. We are taking them to our elderly neighbor couple who both just had surgery and we thought taking them a couple large cupcakes would be a nice display – they could share one with coffee or something like that. Anyway, excited to taste them. :) Thanks for the quick easy dessert recipe.

[...] Bread (recipe from Picky Palate, but I used butter instead of oil) for [...]

BJ Hixon says:

Made this recipe last night for my fam of four. By this morning, completely gone! Both cakes, which means we each had about half a cake….I think you could safely say it was a hit.

Peggy says:

I just made this cake from your recipe and it was amazing! My almost 3 year old daughter announced, “This is the best cake ever!” Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I think it’s even better than the cake at Starbucks – so moist and lemony. Love it!

Maureen says:

Just made these– SO easy! I can’t wait to taste!

Dena says:

Made this for Easter and it was very good. Very moist and not too dense. The icing added just the right amount of tangyness (that’s a word, right?). Will be making again. Very refreshing. Thanks!

AmyD says:

Hi,

I found your site through Iowa Girl Eats and have been drooling ever since. I’m planning on making this cake for my boyfriend’s birthday. I will be traveling from FL to DC to see him. Any good tips for transport? Thanks and happy Wednesday! Amy

Great to have you Amy! I would find wrap the cooled cake in plastic wrap then find a plastic container that fits the cake nice and snug. Hope it travels nicely :)

Jennifer R says:

HELP! I am a seasoned baker and know my way around a recipe…that being said…I have made this recipe three time with the same result…the cake/loaf collapses and does not cook through to a cake like texture (feels and looks underdone). I have increased the baking time with each recipe (even going over the 55 min. max) but have the same results. I am using 3.4 oz box of instant pudding mix (thinking like others that it was typo in recipe). Has anyone made this according to recipe and had good results? The flavor is soo yummy but cannot/will not make again without knowing why recipe is not working.

Linda says:

Having same results but REALLY want it to work. Loving Lemon cake!!!!

Mary says:

I just posted a similar comment, then googled why a cake would collapse. Here is what I read (I have no idea for this cake):
      -make sure your oven is calibrated to the correct temperature.
      – make sure your baking soda is fresh. If it is old, it may not be as effective.
      -don’t overbeat once you start adding the flour. Beat well when creaming the butter, then stir only to combine when the flour is added.
      Stay tuned as I plan to try this again and be extra careful.
      If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

[...] Picky Palate has a copy cat recipe for the iced lemon pound cake from Starbucks. It looks wonderful and easy. Plus if you make a loaf of this and cut a slice before heading out, you can still stop by Starbucks and get your favorite cup of coffee. [...]

ERin says:

I made this recipe and my cake fell. Did this happen to you? any advice for how to avoid this? Thanks!

Carmen says:

This just came out of the oven and it is super yummy. I only had 2 problems #1 despite all the non-stick spray it stuck to the bottom of the pan and so I wasn’t able to take it to the function I was suppose to :-( Next time I’ll use butter and flour, no big deal. I was just wondering though, the top of mine fell after it came out of the oven, any advice?? Despite these minor setbacks, I will be making it again, and again. Thanks for the recipe.

[...] recipe is adapted from Picky Palate (great recipes) and is supposed to be a copycat of Starbucks Iced Lemon Cake. I can’t say for [...]

[...] Adapted from Picky Palate [...]

Just made your lemon pound cake. It is in the oven now and smelling so good! I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing such an awesome and EASY recipe. :-)

A. Seebs says:

I am by no means a baker but my mother requested lemon bars for Mother’s Day. We settled for this cake and it did not disappoint! So moist. The easiest cake I have ever made that turned out just so great. Thanks!

Linda says:

I recently tried your copy cat Starbuck’s Lemon Pound Cake. It rises in the oven but when I remove it from the oven it falls. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Linda, that means you need to bake the cake a bit longer. The same thing happened to me one of the times I made it, but after I baked it about 10 minutes longer the next time and it was great. It will be nice and golden brown on the top. Hope this helps!