Mar
2012

Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

Tags:

Desserts

A couple weeks ago I stopped in a Starbucks to get a yogurt parfait and saw the famous Starbucks iced lemon pound cake in the case I just had to have.  After one bite, I knew I wanted to re-create my own recipe for it.

Let’s just say I did it!  Well, I am sure it’s not their recipe, but boy does it taste just like it :)  My boys went nuts over this cake and my oldest has requested it for his birthday cake, lol!

It’s that good people and shhhh, don’t tell but I start the recipe from a cake mix.  Trust me, no one will ever know.  Happy baking!!

Here’s your simple line up of ingredients.

In no particular order, add all of your cake ingredients to the mixer.

Add your lemon pudding and milk.

4 beautiful large eggs.

Your oil and sour cream.

Freshly squeezed lemon juice :)  Mmmm!

Once mixed nicely, divide the batter between your loaf pans (9×5).

How gorgeous is this?!  Wait until you taste it.

While the cakes are cooling, prepare the tangy icing.

Drizzle, drizzle and drizzle!

I am speechless.  Lol!

Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

1 box yellow cake mix

4.3 ounce cook and serve Lemon OR 3.4 ounce instant Lemon pudding mix

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

8 ounces sour cream

6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray 2 loaf pans (9×5) generously with cooking spray.

2. Place all cake ingredients in no particular order into stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide cake batter between two prepared 9×5 loaf pans spreading evenly. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before removing loaves from pans.

3. To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a large bowl. Drizzle in lemon juice stirring until smooth and thick. Should be a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cakes after they are completely cooled, and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing. Otherwise slice while still wet if desired.

Makes about 24 slices

Note: You can make this same recipe into cupcakes, small loaves and even a layered cake. Adjust baking time accordingly.

_____________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

This post contains affiliate links

Comments

Lori says:

This was fantastic! I even added some blueberries! Thank you!

[...] Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake – This is one of my favorite treats they offer Share this: Pin ItEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Brunch, Pastry, Recipe Roundup and tagged Baking, Brunch, Desserts, pastry by foodnfocus. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

[...] pressure was on to find the most delicious treat that I could.  I stumbled upon this recipe for Iced Lemon Pound Cake a while back and thought it would be a great time to try it out. I LOVE the lemon pound cake they [...]

Erica says:

I am trying this recipe! I love that it is so simple and yields such beautiful results (plus I am obsessed with Starbucks’ lemon cake!). Who knows, this may very well be my new go to lemon cake recipe. For now, I am set on Ina’s recipe which I post about here: http://cannellavita.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemon-yogurt-pound-cake.html

lilkunta says:

since this is from yellow cake mix is this just a iced lemon cake?
    i thought what makes a pound cake a pound cake is 1lb of each ingrediant[flour, butter, eggs, sugar].

Judi Pence says:

I have always loved Starbuck’s lemon loaf ~ so I was thrilled to find your recipe to duplicate it. I just finished baking it but mine sunk in the middle and I have no clue why. The taste is still good but it doesn’t make a lovely presentation . . . any thoughts? And, I have the same comment as several others . . . the small pudding box is 3.4 oz, so I am assuming you might have just transposed the numbers, because the larger box would be double the size of the small box. I’m determined to try it again, but this batch is for an event tomorrow and I’m a little disappointed in the fact that it sunk.

Nancy B says:

Know what happens when you start to make the recipe, and realize the lemon pudding you bought is really banana cream? You use it anyways, and it turns out just as wonderful! I’ve also been adding lemon zest too. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, my family now loves!

aslam says:

Always i love your photos and this recipe.So glad you came up with a recipe of a delicious cake and even glad it starts with a box mix.

Jan says:

This is the best.

Crystal says:

I just made this and it is so unbelievably good! The glaze is fantastic (I added one TBS creme bouquet) and the only change I will make next time I make these, because I will make them again!, is that I will butter and flour the bottom of the pans. Thank you for such a fantastic recipe, even though I call them evil lol because they smell fantastic and live up to it! I swear I had to stop myself from running to the oven with a pot holder and a spoon and just shoveling it into my mouth before they were even done baking.

Ericka says:

I love Starbuck’s Lemon Pound Cake, I can’t wait to try this recipe! If this recipe tastes anything close to Starbucks, I will be in Heaven!

Ericka says:

Crystal, I use wax or parchment paper in the bottom of my bread pans. Just cut a strip of parchment paper the width of the inside of your bread pan. Your breads will come out very easy. Just run your knife down the sides of the pan when bread is done and the bread will pop right out!

Glori says:

I saw this recipe and I really wanted to try it because I needed a dessert fast and the cake mix and other ingredients are sometimes cheaper and faster and you get a guaranteed product. It was fantastic, I tend to stay away from lemon pudding because it is so strong, but this works really well with the sour cream in it, it gives a creamy texture. I added poppy seeds just to give it an extra pop and I made 2 loafs and literally was gone in 5 minutes. It served 15 people, but another 2 loafs would have satisfied everyone’s craving. This was summery, tasty and yummy, everyone thought I had made it from scratch (which I said I did ;p) Thanks for the recipe! A keeper!

[...] Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake – This is one of my favorite treats they offer [...]

June says:

What size loaf pans for Starbucks lemon pound cake?

Leslie says:

Love this cake. I’ve made it numerous times! Word to the wise… Grocery store was out of my usual Dunkin Hines cake mix Suomi grabbed Betty Crocker one.mas soon as I started mix and pour into pans I noticed a problem. Looking back over the cake mix box I discovered theirs had pudding in it. That is the on thing I can think of that would cause such a huge difference in mixture. It is super thick. Ugh! Oh well…lesson learned!

Linda says:

I am so sad…. I wanted to try this recipe because I LOVE the lemon pound cake at Starbucks and I have a coffee to do at school for the PTO day after next. I think I should of used the cook and serve pudding, I took the cakes out and they fell. They are a little brown, I put a piece of foil on top of all three, flat out. Help????

Linda says:

Also, my drizzle was not really drizzley… I used 2 1/2 cups of powered sugar and started with 4 T of lemon juice, then added warm water, enough to make it a little drizzley, not as much as the pictures though. Also, I saw a couple of comments on the size of the loaf pans, I think it should be 3 1/2 x 7 1/2. It is really good though but I want mine to be pretty and fluffy like yours!! I do love the taste!!

• Linda says:

I just saw the comment above mine and think that my Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix WITH PUDDING IN THE MIX might be the reason it fell. I will try Dunkin Hines if my store puts some more on the shelf tomorrow. (Can you tell I really want to master this recipe!!)

Jodi K says:

If this really tastes like the pound cake from Starbucks, then you are THE BOMB! LOL
    Can’t wait to try it!

Carolyn Aebi says:

Hi. I made this yesterday. My cakes rose but then when flat. Do you have any idea what I did wrong

Porche says:

As I was searching for a recipe, I came across this one and I just want to comment on how nice and creative this recipe guide was put together. I think I will use this too! Thanks for your help! ;)

Marina Ybanez says:

My husband begged me to make a lemon pound cake similar to Starbucks. I came across your recipe today and had to try it. The consistency of the batter is heavenly, rich and thick… I have these in the oven right now and my kitchen smells awesome. :) Thanks!

Alison says:

What am I doing wrong? I have made this twice. The first time, made with a gluten-free cake mix. Cakes deflated and were very dense, I chalked it up to the gluten-free mix issue. Now I just made it with regular mix, and had same exact problem. I am usually pretty successful at baking, so this is disappointing. I definately want to succeed with this recipe. Any ideas?

Jennifer G says:

I made this last week and it was amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

[...] Based on all this, you can imagine my squeals of delight when I spied this copycat recipe for Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake. [...]

Kriste says:

This cake is AWESOME! OMG……..just made it and it is so moist and so wonderful! And easy to make! This is a must for all the Starbuck’s Lemon Loaf Lovers out there! Thank you for sharing this recipe! :)

kikiomme says:

just searchibg this recipie!!! (:

Francesca says:

I made this cake over the weekend. It was delicious!! Mine fell a little bit, but it was still amazing. I know Jenny had said if the cakes fall then they needed to be baked longer, but I don’t feel as though mine should have baked longer. It had already been 55 minutes and a toothpick came out clean.

The icing really topped it off. We still have 1 loaf frozen…waiting to be eaten!

One complaint…I wish this were more like pound cake. It had almost a sponge cake texture.

sher says:

I have to try this! Especially love the jamies in the reflection. Being comfy while you cook is essential. :) Thanks for the recipe!

My son loves the Starbucks cake so we made your recipe for my 35th birthday and it was a total hit. Thank you!

Courtney says:

I just made this, followed directions exactly and it is DELICIOUS!!!! lemony goodness thanks for the easy recipe

Kacy says:

This was delicious, but only made one loaf. Maybe this is a rookie mistake, but I dot bake a lot and the butter needs to be a bit more than softened!

[...] Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat adapted from picky palate [...]

[...] Recipe source and inspiration:  Picky Palate [...]

[...] Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe  [...]

Joanna jones says:

I see several questions concerning the amount of lemon pudding in the Starbucks lemon pound cake. You specify 4.3 oz package which I simply can’t find. I can use several small packages, but want to be certain this was not a typo. I checked several brands, no 4.3 oz size.

SuzyQ's says:

This was very tasty, but definitely not like Starbucks.
    Starbucks lemon pound cake is more dense and buttery.
    This tastes like a regular cake with lemon flavor.

Aud says:

I would really like to try out this delicious recipe! But does putting in all of the cake ingredients mean just the cake mix or everything else??

Chaela says:

My husband and co-workers love this cake! They keep asking me to make it. Thank you!

Terri says:

I’ve made this recipe twice now. The loaves come out of the oven looking absolutely beautiful, just like your picture. However, as they cool, the tops cave in. Any idea what’s going on? The toothpick comes out clean, so they are not under cooked. I’m at a loss. The flavor is fantastic, but the loaves look awful. Can’t give as gifts. Help!

Dawn Sante says:

Hello! I searched the jello aisle and could only find 3.4 oz or much larger. Did you perhaps mean the 3.4 oz box instead of typing 4.3? I am making this recipe right now and have added enough pudding mix to equal 4.3 but I’m just wondering! I’ll get back to you after I’ve baked it. My husband can’t wait until it’s done!
    – Dawn Sante

Crystal says:

Did anyone actually make this? Everyone said it looks good but I didn’t see how anyone made it. I made it twice, the first time substituting applesauce for half the oil and the second time exactly how the recipe says (using instant pudding). Both were DISASTERS. … :(. He first was like gel candy inside and the second fell as soon as I took them out and were too moist. I think there is a typo in the recipe. 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup of sour cream??? Seems like too much. :( :( Happy New Year.

baboo says:

I have made this receipt about 5 times and it is as good or better than Starbucks lemon pound cake. A couple of observations.
    1- only use the instant pudding mix.
    2-Be sure to mix the ingredients for 2 plus minutes I use 2 an medium speed and 1 at low speed to finish it off.

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe.

Ed says:

Better use instant pudding mix. I used non-instant and the texture was ‘puddenie’, not dense cake texture.

Anne says:

Jenny – made this yhe first time with no problem. Everyone loved it! The second time I made it both loaves cratered after cooling. I see your note above about it probably being undercooked. However, I am also wondering if the pudding size and/or the cake mix size is impacting the recipe. Many of the notes above mention confusion about the pudding size. Your recipe states 4.3 oz. The instant lemon comes in 3.4 oz and the cook and serve comes in 2.9 oz boxes. Is the 4.3 oz correct? I read you every day and appreciate you sharing all of your recipes – checking in on your blog is a daily highlight!

I am in love with the Iced Lemon Pound Cake from Starbucks and am definitely going to try this recipe!

[...] This recipe was adapted and changed a little from Picky Palate Written by: Cindy on January 15, [...]

Laura in Texas says:

I just made this using Meyer lemons from our trees and the cakes were delicious. Love how moist and flavorful the cake was! Thank you!!

Erika says:

The first time I made this lemon loaf, it sunk in the middle right after I took it out of the oven. I had used the 3.4oz box of pudding, which I assume many other people have also done since they couldn’t find the 4.3oz box. Cakes can sink for a variety of reasons, but one of them occurs when there is too much liquid. I just made this recipe again last night (because I loved the taste of it the first time), and I ended up finding the 4.3oz box of pudding mix at our Fareway grocery store. You’ll need to shop around because using the correct size box is crucial! The lemon loaves did not sink this time! Do not try to make this with the smaller size box of pudding mix. You need that extra powder to thicken up the batter and prevent it from sinking.

Tina says:

I just made this. It came out of the oven looking gorgeous, no crumbs on the toothpick after 55 min cooking. when I went to take it out of the pan it was as flat as a pancake. I’m an experienced baker and followed everything to the letter. Any ideas?