Mar
2012

Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

Tags:

Desserts

A couple weeks ago I stopped in a Starbucks to get a yogurt parfait and saw the famous Starbucks iced lemon pound cake in the case I just had to have.  After one bite, I knew I wanted to re-create my own recipe for it.

Let’s just say I did it!  Well, I am sure it’s not their recipe, but boy does it taste just like it :)  My boys went nuts over this cake and my oldest has requested it for his birthday cake, lol!

It’s that good people and shhhh, don’t tell but I start the recipe from a cake mix.  Trust me, no one will ever know.  Happy baking!!

Here’s your simple line up of ingredients.

In no particular order, add all of your cake ingredients to the mixer.

Add your lemon pudding and milk.

4 beautiful large eggs.

Your oil and sour cream.

Freshly squeezed lemon juice :)  Mmmm!

Once mixed nicely, divide the batter between your loaf pans (9×5).

How gorgeous is this?!  Wait until you taste it.

While the cakes are cooling, prepare the tangy icing.

Drizzle, drizzle and drizzle!

I am speechless.  Lol!

Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe

1 box yellow cake mix

4.3 ounce cook and serve Lemon OR 3.4 ounce instant Lemon pudding mix

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

8 ounces sour cream

6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing:

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray 2 loaf pans (9×5) generously with cooking spray.

2. Place all cake ingredients in no particular order into stand or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Divide cake batter between two prepared 9×5 loaf pans spreading evenly. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes before removing loaves from pans.

3. To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a large bowl. Drizzle in lemon juice stirring until smooth and thick. Should be a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over cakes after they are completely cooled, and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing. Otherwise slice while still wet if desired.

Makes about 24 slices

Note: You can make this same recipe into cupcakes, small loaves and even a layered cake. Adjust baking time accordingly.

_____________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

This post contains affiliate links

Comments

Pete says:

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyways, just wanted to say superb blog!

Melinda says:

Hey Jenny,
    Love the copycat Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake but have a question.
    I followed the recipe to the letter and when I pulled my loaves out they were beautiful!! Nice and high, beautiful color…came back 5 minutes later to check on them and they had sunk!!! Well they flattened out…why? I can’t figure it out! They taste great! Moist, nice lemon flavor, just not high and beautiful like when I took them out of the oven. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Melinda

Hi Melinda, that means they weren’t cooked long enough. I did that one time and realized that I needed to bake them longer. The next time I baked them I let them bake 10 or so minutes longer and there was no sinking :)

Pat says:

Can you make this as on tube cake?

case treadz says:

Hello, I just dropped by to read this blog.
    It looks really cool and I liked viewing it, thanks for the great writing!

Karen says:

I too had a problem with not only the loaves falling but it didn’t rise either. I baked it longer but with no success, I am wondering about omitting one of the eggs? I am going to try and make this again because I just love the lemon bread at Starbucks! Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

Laura says:

Great recipie! I added 1 1/4 c blueberries, as well as 1/4 c pudding mix & milk in the icing. It was a hit!

Katie says:

Hi! First, I love your blog :-)

Second, I saw this question A LOT in the comments, and I just wanted to clarify before I made the Lemon Pound Cake for Easter this weekend. I have been searching online for 4.3oz of the Lemon Pudding (Cook & Serve) and you can only seem to buy it from Amazon.com (but you have to buy like 24 packs of it…) Would it make sense just to buy 2 of the 3.4oz sizes and measure it out to be 4.3oz? Or would JUST the 3.4oz work? Thanks for your help! :)

Donna says:

I have always been a fan of Starbuck’s Lemon Loaf. Tried this for an Easter cake.It smelled so good we had a piece early. Yum! It was so moist and flavorful. Better than Starbucks. Definitely keeping this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Strobel says:

Hi, I’m wondering which size loaf pan will work best for this recipe or if any size will do?

Cindy says:

I love recipes that say “pour into a loaf pan”, as if there were only one size loaf pan.

Iris says:

I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out AMAZING! Mm, it’s scrumptious. I’m so happy to make such a HUGE batch over a single slice from Starbucks which costs around $2.50! I don’t usually have yellow cake mix and lemon pudding on hand, (but I do always have the other ingredients) so if I just buy those two things, this recipe is just about the same cost as a SB slice!

Iris says:

Some of the comments should tone down their cattiness btw :P!

Marcia says:

I made this recipe with my 4, 2, and 1 year old and it turned out wonderfully.

Liz Mackie says:

Thank you – love iced lemon loaf.

Valerie Palkovitz says:

My daughter found this recipe and asked me to make it. I made it twice, once in a bunt pan and once in the 2 loaf pans but each time it fell when it came out of the oven. Any idea what I did wrong?

Rosalyn says:

I made this cake and it is delicious, however, it did fall. It looked great when it came out of the oven, but fell as it cooled. It’s heavy. Please tell me what I did wrong.

Hi Rosalyn, this happened to me once and it was because it needed to be baked longer. Give it another try and bake it longer, you’ll find that it doesn’t sink in the middle :)

[...] (The original recipe can be found at Picky Palate) [...]

Ariah says:

Hi, my family will not eat food coloring, so would it taste the same with regular white cake mix, or is yellow cake mix different?
    thanks,

Susie says:

Did you add the water?

Rosalyn says:

This sounds so delicious and looks great, however, I have made it twice and both times it fell. It tastes good, but looks pitiful. Would not serve guest. I have read all the reviews and followed the instructions to the tee. I just don’t understand. I have never had this happen before. I wonder if I should add some baking soda. Cooked 45 minutes. It has the texture of a bread pudding. Please help.

Vicki says:

I just made this….both of the cakes fell….
    What did I do wrong? They were beautiful until they hit the air.

J J Daniels says:

I am wondering — why did you use a yellow cake mix — and not a lemon cake mix?

Anxious to try this. . . . .but wondering if the lemon cake mix would be more lemony.

Thx– I want to bake this tomorrow– and mail it to my Mom for Mothers Day!
    Blessings! J J Daniels

Christi says:

What size load pan did you use to bake these yummy liking lemon cakes? Can’t wait to try them.

Sarah says:

My cakes fell flat. What did I do wrong. Does the bread pan make a difference. I used glass.

Lisa says:

Mine did too Sarah! :( I used the throw away tin ones and it did the same thing! I had to throw them out.
      At least I’m not the only one this happened to!
      Lisa

Lisa says:

Hi Jenny,

I made this loaf one other time and I was so disappointed to see that the entire cake fell after coming out of the oven! :( It looked absolutely gorgeous when I took it out too! I’m not sure where I went wrong. I stuck to the directions exactly as you wrote them. The only thing I used differently were the pans. I decided that since I was going to use them for desserts at other homes, I would use the tin throw away pans instead of the ‘real’ ones that I usually would use. Do you think that could be the problem of my cake destruction? lol ;) Anywho, I’m going to give it another try again with the ‘real’ loaf pans and see if there is a difference. Wish me luck! :)

Lisa, if your cakes fell in the center, they need to be baked longer. Ovens are so different, so bake times may vary. Try baking at least 10-15 minutes longer. Check with a cake tester to make sure it comes out clean from the center. The tops will be very golden brown, but I assure you the centers are soft and perfect. Hope this helps!!

Kath says:

I have been making a recipe like this (Recipe #110604, Food.com) for a long time. The only difference in the two recipes is this one calls for 1/2 c. milk, while the other one doesn’t. I have never had an issue with the cake falling. Perhaps some of the readers would like to try that one.

Susana says:

Made this yesterday for Fathers Day and I honestly have to say that this cake has to be one of the best cakes I’ve ever made. My brother especially couldn’t stop eating it!!! Between 7 people the cake was gone in a matter of minutes. I made it in a bundt pan, baked it for almost 1 hour and it was absolutely moist, lemony and delicious! Will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much.

dana says:

Is it possible to add poppyseed’s to this recipe? lemon poppyseed is one of my fave combos but I have a hard time finding a recipe that is not super dry and crumbly.

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was totally right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

[...] Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake Copycat Recipe [...]

Patti says:

Could I add poppy seeds and if so, how much?

Ok, I just have to put it out there. You’re a genius! I have tried so many Lemon Cakes that claimed to be a replica of the Starbucks cake, but none of them were anything that even closely resembled the cake at Starbucks. At first I was really thrown off by the idea of using a mix, but after so many failed attempts I did not care)))
    It is soooo goood and tastes just like the one at Starbucks! Thanks so much for the recipe!

[...] version of what I think the glaze should look and taste like, but the rest of the recipe comes from Picky-Palate.com, this recipe is truly a [...]

dee says:

how did you make frosting or what kind is it?

Julie says:

Made this recipe twice now. Each time the loaves sink in after removing from the oven. If I bake it any longer, it’ll burn on top. What am I doing incorrectly?

Artemis says:

I think mine were on their way to doing that, but didn’t. Sounds like the leavening is getting too much action, rising too fast. How long are you beating your ingredients? Since this is from a mix, I think that’s really the primary ingredient variable, beyond the fat content of the milk and the size of the eggs (and their temperature). Instant or cook&serve pudding mix (not sure what difference that would make, but trying to ID variables; I always use instant in cake mix recipes)? And, do you use an oven thermometer? What are your pans made out of?

Shari says:

Love the lemon pound cake at Starbucks!! So glad I found this recipe. I made it tonight and it was delicious. The only thing is while it was cooling in the pans for 15 minutes, they sunk in the middle. What could have caused that? Thank you!!!

Hi Shari, that means they weren’t cooked long enough. I did that one time and realized that I needed to bake them longer. The next time I baked them I let them bake 10 or so minutes longer and there was no sinking.

Artemis says:

Made this last night and it turned out great. I used an orange cake mix (Duncan Hines, newer smaller size), a 3.4oz box of lemon pudding mix, 2T OJ instead of 6T lemon juice, and 1 scant cup plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Yogurt tends to be thinner and make for a more delicate crumb (read: cake more likely to fall apart) than sour cream, which is why I cut the citrus juice down to a third. Used 2x 9×5″ metal nonstick loaf pans. Done in 45 minutes on the nose; they rose a little to much and sagged slightly to the sides in the middle (but did not overtop the loaf pans). Texture otherwise great; moist throughout, flavor is great. Glaze has juice of 1 lemon and 1-2 tsp OJ in it.

Isobel says:

It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I’m satisfied that
    you just shared this helpful information witfh us.

Please stay us uup to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Sandee says:

Not quite Starbuck’s recipe. Keep trying though.

Erin says:

Hi, I wanted to see if the size of the pudding was a typo? At my grocery I found 3.4 and 4.8 but not 4.3. Im planning on making this this week. Thanks!!

LyndaS says:

My daughter is going to be so happy that you posted this. She loves Starbucks’ baked goodies. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

[…] course, the pound cake is important as well. There are any number of great lemon pound cake recipes out there already, so I won’t bore you with that. Just […]

Kirsten says:

I made these in glass loaf pans. They looked golden so I took them out of the oven, I came back five minutes later and they were totally flat! I know I didn’t under bake them because the bottom of the loafs were very dark. What happened? :( Should I have used metal pans?

Kirsten, I’ve never baked this in a glass pan so I would recommend the metal pans. So sorry it flattened. :(

Candi says:

I have made these several times and have not figured out how to keep them from collapsing. Baking longer hasn’t made a difference for me. They still taste great, but they collapse every time.

I’d love to know if others have been able to bake without them collapsing once cooled.

Amanda says:

I plan on making this in a few days, but I would like to know if you drizzle the icing on the cakes while they’re cooling, or if you wait until they’re completely cooled. Thanks!

Heather says:

The cake is good but I would take the time to make the pound cake. The mix does not come out at all like a pound cake.

Mary says:

If using a bundt cake pan, does oven temp need to be adjusted? Also, how long to bake in bundt pan? Thanks.

donna kramer says:

I made this, and both loaves rose around the edges of the pan more than the middle….am I doing something wrong? Too cold of ingredients maybe? They are not gift-giving pretty.

debbie gorden says:

made this cake just as described, the loaves hardly rose at all? not nearly near the top of the pan as shown.

Patricia says:

Both loaves sank when i took them. Out of
    Oven! I followed exact ingredients can you help
    Me figure how what I did wrong?