Aug
2012

Mango Chicken and Blue Cheese Quinoa Salad

Tags: , ,

Appetizers and Sides

This simple summer quinoa salad has all of my favorite ingredients that are perfect for a light lunch on it’s own or as a side salad with a main dish.  I like to make extra so I have some in the refrigerator for the next day to enjoy.

Mango, chicken, vegetables, and quinoa in a light lemon dressing….you are in for a healthy treat!

If you haven’t been a fan of quinoa in the past, give this salad a try, you’ll love it!

Mango Chicken Quinoa Salad

Simple Lemon Dressing

• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. When done cooking, transfer it to a large bowl and toss with a fork. Let cool for 30 minutes or so tossing every 5 minutes.
  2. Add broccoli, chicken, mango, carrots, olives, roasted red bell peppers, parmesan and Feta cheese to quinoa, stirring to combine.
  3. To make dressing, place oil, lemon, salt and pepper into a mason jar with a lid. Close lid and shake for 30 seconds or so until well combined. Pour over quinoa and stir to combine. Taste and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve room temperature or chilled.

Makes 4-6 Servings

Comments

I love mango and I bet it adds just a great flavor to this dish – with the blue cheese quinoa, mmmmmm!

We have been eating a lot of quinoa lately and this recipe looks like a perfect addition to our repertoire. Thank you so much for sharing, it looks delicious and so fresh!

j3nn says:

Oooh, blue cheese with sweetness and salty olives sounds like a winning combo! Can’t help but wonder how a drizzle of honey might taste on this as well. :)

RavieNomNoms says:

What a lovely salad!

I love quinoa salads! And mango adds the perfect sweet note. Great idea!

Sounds amazing…love the olive addition well…full of flavor!

I just bought a huge container of quinoa– can’t wait to try this!

JulieD says:

I love the sweet and savory in this salad, Jenny! So pretty!

This looks like such a fun summer salad :)

Love the addition of mango!! Looks SO delicious

Kristi says:

Hi Jenny! Quinoa is a fave of mine! Can’t wait to try this. Your directions state to add roasted red peppers, but they aren’t on the list of ingredients. Did you add them to your recipe? Love your blog!!

Jenny, I just had quinoa for supper with salmon, but your recipe is calling to me. So, I’m going to pin it, right away, on my Pinterest Salad Board. Yay ~ mangos, kalamata olives, blue cheese!

Keep writing…

This sounds awesome! What a light and refreshing dish for the end of the summer :)

Mandy schneider says:

Hi Jenny…quick question..I really need to figure out Twitter..I was looking into ordering your cookbook on Amazon and I see that they are offering it Kindle addition. I think that’s the route I want to go but do you happen to know if they will charge me now or when it comes out? What day will it come out so I know to put money into my account lol? TY :)

Hi Mandy, I believe Amazon will charge you now and as soon as the book comes out (October 16th) you will get it. Let me know if you have any other questions!! Thanks so much for getting my book, I can’t wait to share it with everyone!!

Lovely salad, Jenny! I am not a big fan of blue cheese, which would you recommend as a sub? :)

Jenifer says:

I love Quinoa. It is my new favorite food. However, I am not a fan of mangos. How do you think this dish would do if you replaced the bleu cheese with feta and eliminated the mango? Would you substiture cherry tomatoes to make it more greek and fit with the feta? (I wish I could make up recipes! I am no good at that though!)
    Thanks,
    Jen

Kelly McCormick says:

Just so you know, you say to add red bell peppers in during the recipe, but it’s not listed in the ingredients!

Beautiful, Jenny! Love this recipe. It’s perfect for my gluten-free buddies! xoxo Hope you are well.

A unique recipe deserves a unique wine pairing. I think a light, crisp Spanish white Godello would pair well. Looking forward to trying the recipe.

Heather says:

I loved this recipe! The sweetness of the mango with the tangy blue cheese was just awesome! Check out my full review: http://heatskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/10/mango-chicken-quinoa-salad.html

Maggie says:

Thanks for doing the hard work on the quinoa recipes!! They are great!Best regards,M.