Jun
2013

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tags:

Cookies

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies by Picky Palate

Oh for the love of brown butter cookies.  I’ve been teasing with these cookies on Instagram for a good week or so.  I am happy to be sharing my recipe with you today.  All of my favorite things in this cookies.  A little sweet, a little salty and lots of chocolate.  Hop on over to the kitchen and try these for yourself!

I’ve done a number of other brown butter cookies, check them out!  HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

You’ll see a few new goodies in this cookie today.  I use part cake flour, added a bit of pudding and cornstarch.  Texture and flavor is spot on!  Enjoy :)

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-4

Your line up for the day.  Make sure you have cake flour and some fleur de sel sea salt on hand for these.

Browning Butter

Time to brown the butter.  Melt it over medium heat swirling often until it turns a gorgeous deep golden brown.  You’ll see brown bits at the bottom of the pan.  That’s a good thing.

Starting cookies

Let the butter cool for 5 minutes then beat it with your sugars, egg and vanilla.

Flour and pudding

Dry ingredients please.

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-11

Dark chocolate chips!

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-12

I will not admit how much dough I consumed.

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-13

Scoop onto your baking sheet.

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-14

This fleur de sel sea salt is amazing if you can find it.  If not, kosher salt will do the trick too :)

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-16

Just a tiny pinch of sea salt on top.

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies by Picky Palate

If you like your cookies a bit more flat, press the dough down with your hand before baking.  I was in the mood for a thick round cookie today.

Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies-18t

• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon fleur de sel sea salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirl and heat until deep golden brown. Remove heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
  3. Place browned butter and little bits from the pan into a stand mixer along with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat to combine then add egg and vanilla beating to combine. Add ap flour, cake flour, pudding mix, baking soda, corn starch, salt and chocolate chips. Mix on low until just combined.
  4. With a medium cookie scoop, place dough onto prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle each cookie with a pinch of fleur de sel sea salt and bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve and enjoy.

Makes 2 dozen cookies

Comments

I’ve always been frightened of brown butter recipes simply because it seems it is always a matter of holding my breath and crossing my fingers that I don’t overdo and go from brown butter to um, burned butter. I think your recipe here has convinced me to give it a go :D Thanks for the nudge!

Oh I can only imagine the depth of wonderful flavor of these, Jenny! The butter, the chocolate, and then softness and chewiness look perfect. Pudding mix and cornstarch both – I’ve never seen that, usually just one or the other. I bet the texture is just wonderful with these!

marla says:

Jenny these cookies look great! Can’t wait to see you in TX :) XO

These look so perfectly amazing! I’ve tried to find fleur de sel in my local grocery stores but no success yet. I’m not giving up yet though!

I’m pretty much DYING over these. Love!

Tieghan says:

I am also so jealous of you cookies! They look perfect every time! Mine always turn out flat and ugly!
    These must be SO good! Brown butter and dark chocolate! Two of my favorite things!

Kathy says:

Oh these cookies look incredible!

Oh, Jenny! I’ve been dreaming of these after seeing them in Instagram. They look DIVINE!!!

Amanda says:

These look SOOOOO good! I adore everything you do with browned butter! :)

Oh my Jenny! These look amazing…I think I’d gain a few pounds if these were around very long.

Vanessa says:

These look awesome! You have the BEST cookie recipes!! I know if it is your cookie it is going to be GREAT! =)

So, these are obviously going on my to-bake list because I absolutely adore anything brown butter.

Camille says:

YUM! Those look great. I bet the sprinkle of salt on top is perfection!

Camille says:

Made these today and they were a BIG hit with the family!! It was my 1st browned butter recipe. I might be addicted.

Lori says:

Those look SO good! Where do you buy fleur de sel sea salt ?

Mmm one of my favorite cookies I’ve posted on my blog is a Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie! So amazing. And I have the fleur de sel, reserved for cookies only. Haha. It’s the best! These look incredible. I’m curious about the cake flour!

These stayed so round and full!! I’ll have to save this recipe since I always end up with super flat chocolate chip cookies…

I’m in the mood for a round thick cookies also … these will definitely work for me ;)

Wendy says:

Lovely chubby little cookies! I love how pudding makes cookies chewy delicious( and browned butter makes everything better). :)

Chels R. says:

Those look Aaamazing and I’m just a wee bit obsessed with brown butter! Where did you find the fleur de sel sea salt?

KimMJ says:

Thanx so much for sharing this cannot wait to try them…Those pics are enough to make me drool ;)

nessa says:

I absolutely have to make these!

These look so AMAZING Jenny! That little bit of special salt just pushes the chocolate yummy factor right on over the edge of delicious!!!

I love salted cookies – it’s sweet, it’s salty, it’s perfect!

Have to try these out!

These cookies are to die for!! I am moving this to the top of my “must make” list! :)

Oh man, there are so many incredible things about these! Brown butter, dark chocolate, cookies!

I made these last night (with kosher salt) and they’re fabulous. This was my first brown butter experience…AND I THINK I LIKE IT. I would like to eat them all right now, but the thought of busting through my clothes, Hulk-style, is stopping me.

heather says:

YAY! I have been waiting for these since you posted on instagram! Does 1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup? thanks!Excited to make these!

You put together a lot of words that make my mouth water. I’m so excited to try these cookies. I bet they have an amazing depths of flavor.

OK YUMM!! Chocolate + salt = delish!!

Fi xx

jill m. says:

Can I substitute cook and serve pudding for the instant pudding?

Jane says:

Just made these – absolutely AMAZING!!!! Just FYI – it barely made a dozen cookies, not 2 dozen – but they were out of this world.

Katie says:

Oh my… this recipe is amazing!!!! The dough alone is the best thing ever :) Thanks for posting this.
    New viewer and hooked for life :)

stee says:

you had me until pudding mix…
    I’ll try just browning the butter of my tried and true chocolate chip cookie recipe and adding some sea salt
    The grocery stores around here all have several types of sea salt – the local chains as well as Trader Joe’s’ and Whole Foods for those looking. Otherwise try Penzeys, William Sonoma or Amazon.

pistillino says:

Wooooow, seem very specials!

Chelsie K says:

Oh. My.
    Just took these out of the oven. you were right: texture and flavor are spot on! I believe anything can be made better with brown butter and that is certainly the case with these cookies. Heavenly!!
    Thank you!

[…] Sundays call for baking! Here’s my version of Picky Palate’s Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Instead of dark chocolate, I used […]

Kristy says:

I made these tonight and I can say, without a doubt, that they are the best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made! Thanks so much!

[…] Butter Cookies from Dine and Dash Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cupcakes & Cashmere Salted Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies from Picky Palate Chocolate Cake Reeses Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies from Picky Palate Peppermint […]

[…] as part of Desserts for the Deserving. While browsing some of my favorite food blogs, I came across this recipe by Picky Palate and thought it would be perfect — it’s not too fancy that it would put […]

Jean says:

I don’t understand the vanilla pudding. Why not use vanilla extract?

Elsa Poole says:

So. Its snowing and 3 degrees in NE Wyoming. I want to try this Brown Butter Dark Chocolate Chip recipe. It sounds decadent! I live 25 miles from ANYTHING…so when I gathered my ingredients, I had to get a little creative. No running to town because I only had one cup of regular chips…so I chopped up some dark ‘bark’ chocolate. No vanilla pudding either. BOO! Added two tablespoons of dried cultured buttermilk, an extra egg yolk, doubled the vanilla, 1/2 a packet of unflavored gelatin powder, and crossed my fingers. Lastly, no koscher or sea salt. I don’t even know if I can GET sea salt in town. I just used regular salt…even to add a pinch on top of each cookie. How’d they turn out? Ummmm….I don’t think I’ve EVER tasted a chocolate chip cookie as decadent, flavorful and sinful! Thanks for the great instructions! Very detailed and easy to follow. ♥

Debt what to plant in a vegetable garden consolidation programs should be a last resort,
    but not ridiculous. Effects on Credit RatingUnderstand your debt