Sharing the Best Gingerbread Man Cookies today! This recipe gingerbread man cookie recipe makes the perfect Christmas Cookie for family and friends!
Gingerbread Man Cookies
Gingerbread man cookies are a must during your Holiday baking! It’s so fun to make dozens and dozens to decorate and surprise your friends and neighbors with. My recipe is simple to prepare, holds its’ shape and I’ve got a great icing recipe to decorate with ease.
What You’ll Need
- butter– For most of my recipes I use salted butter. Unsalted is fine as well.
- light brown sugar– brown sugar gives the cookies their sweetness.
- molasses– Molasses is found in the baking section of the grocery store. It gives gingerbread cookies that gingerbread flavor.
- large eggs– For consistency, I use large eggs for my baking.
- all-purpose flour– Flour is the main dry ingredient in the cookies.
- baking soda– Baking soda helps the cookies rise slightly during baking.
- kosher salt– This coarse salt is found next to the table salt in the baking isle of the grocery store.
- ground cinnamon– Cinnamon is a spice added to gingerbread cookie recipes.
- ground ginger– Ground ginger is another spice added to gingerbread cookie recipes.
- powdered sugar– Also referred to as confectioners sugar. This sugar is used to make the icing.
- milk– Use 2% milk for best results.
- light corn syrup– Corn syrup can be found in the baking section of the grocery store. It is used to help make the icing.
How To Make Gingerbread Man Cookies
- Place butter and brown sugar into stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy. Add molasses, then eggs and water, beating until combined. Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight until ready to roll. I also will flash freeze my dough for 30 minutes if ready to use immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Roll dough into 1/4 inch thick round, cut gingerbread man shapes and transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are firm and golden. Let cool on cookie sheet or cooling rack if desired. When cooled, decorate as desired.
Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter
You can find a gingerbread man cookie cutter at most kitchen stores. They come in a number of sizes. I also like to order my gingerbread man cookie cutter options from Amazon. Lots of choices.
Once your dough is ready, divide into two equal pieces.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap to chill. Reminder, if you wan to roll your dough quickly, flash freeze your dough for about 30 minutes. Works great!
When you’re ready to roll your dough, be generous with the flour. Flour your countertops/parchment, rolling pin and top of dough.
When you’ve rolled out your dough it’s time to use your gingerbread man cookie cutter! Cut nice and close to each other so you can have maximum cookies in each roll. Place cut cookies onto cookie sheet. Use parchment if you’d like. Bake gingerbread man cookies for 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
Use my Gingerbread Man Icing recipe to decorate your cookies. Let icing dry for at least 3 hours before packaging.
How To Serve
Serve cookies on a plate or in individual bags for family, friends, neighbors.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
The Best Gingerbread Man CookiesThis is the best gingerbread man cookie recipe you'll ever need! Sweet, spiced and bakes perfectly!Course: DessertCuisine: AmericanServings: 48Calories: 104.46kcalCost: $20Print Pin
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing bowl or stand mixer
- mixing spoons
- ziplock baggies to use as little piping bags
- 1 Cup/2 sticks butter softened I use salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 5 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
Gingerbread Man Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Place butter and brown sugar into stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy. Add molasses, then eggs and water, beating until combined. Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger until dough forms. Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight until ready to roll. I also will flash freeze my dough for 15 minutes if ready to use immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Roll dough into 1/4 inch thick round, cut gingerbread man shapes and transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are firm and golden. Let cool on cookie sheet or cooling rack if desired. When cooled, decorate as desired.
- To prepare icing place powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in milk until smooth then add corn syrup beating until smooth. Divide icing into bowls and add food coloring as desired. Dip or paint cookies with a brush. Let dry completely before packaging.This recipe makes enough for one color. Double or triple as needed for your sugar cookies.
NotesI found it easiest to decorate/ice the gingerbread man cookies when the icing is on the thicker side. You can always add a sprinkle or two more powdered sugar to thicken it up. Using a ziplock baggie, made for simple decorating. May take a couple to practice, but after that you'll get the hang of it!
NutritionCalories: 104.46kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.8g | Protein: 1.69g | Fat: 0.34g | Saturated Fat: 0.09g | Cholesterol: 6.86mg | Sodium: 101.6mg | Potassium: 96.16mg | Fiber: 0.43g | Sugar: 12.98g | Vitamin A: 9.9IU | Calcium: 19.68mg | Iron: 0.97mgKeywords: best gingerbread man cookie recipe, gingerbread man cookie cutter, gingerbread man cookie recipe, gingerbread man cookies, gingerbread man cookies recipe, how to make gingerbread man cookies
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board