Oct
2007

Chicken Corn Chowder with Cornbread Bites

Tags: ,

Dinner

I LOVE Soup Season. This is one of my favorite soups to make. It is great all week long for lunches. These little cornbread bites are the perfect size to dip in your soup and are easy too. Soup takes a little prep chopping veggis, but it’s so worth it, because you’ll enjoy it through the week. Once I start making soup, I don’t stop. Bring on the soup!

Chicken Corn Chowder (I highly recommend doubling this recipe to have leftovers)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 Cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Place olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute celery, bell pepper, onion and jalapeno until softened. Stir in garlic and ham; cook for another 3 minutes. Whisk the broth with the flour in a large bowl then stir into soup. Stir in corn and chicken. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat. Whisk together the cream cheese and milk in a large bowl until smooth. Stir into soup along with the salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Simmer until ready to serve.

Cornbread Bites (Southern Living Magazine)
2/3 Cup flour
1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup thinly sliced green onions
1 8 3/4oz can cream style corn
Dash of hot sauce (Tabasco)
1 large egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 375. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop into 2 mini cupcake pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve with soup.

Comments

Emilie says:

This sounds really good, since it’s so cold here today. Plus, I LOVE cornbread.
    I think the addition of cream cheese is interesting. It probably makes it really creamy.

Hi Emilie,
    Funny, that I think 90 degrees is weather to start making soup. Good enough for me.

You will love this soup, it it so good. I planned on having leftovers, but my family wiped it out for lunch and dinner yesterday.

The cream cheese really does make it very creamy, I add it in most of my cream based soups.

stacy_ellingson says:

Another great recipe Jen! The chicken burritos are on our menu this week and I can’t wait to try the chowder! I love soup season as well! See ya this week!

Stacy,
    I am looking forward to our lunch this week! We took the kids tonight and they had so much fun. Talk to you soon!

LeAnne says:

Jenny, I can’t wait to try this! It is cold and frosty where I live and this will be perfect. I love your blog and have been a “lurker” for awhile. :)

I love cream based soups and the addition of cream cheese is perfect!

Leanne,
    So glad to have you visiting my blog. I love making soup even when it’s still warm here!

Enjoy!

LeAnne says:

Jenny! This was fabulous! I made it last night and it was “souper” easy and devine! Thanks for sharing!

Leanne,
    So glad you enjoyed this soup. Definately one of my favorites! I’m making a yummy chicken enchilada soup this week, I just need to get to the grocery store!

Anonymous says:

Jenny,
    Thank you for this delicious recipe. I made it last night and doubled the batch as suggested. My 3 and 2 yr old loved it so much they wanted it for breakfast this morning!! Love your blog, keep up the good work!
    Amy

[...] Thursday: Chicken Corn Chowder [...]

Luckey says:

This recipe sounds so good. I love chowder and cornbread. Can’t wait to try this myself.

Karly says:

I made this soup the other night and it was amazzzzzing! The bacon added a nice smokey flavor and I loved the crunch of the corn and celery. Super good for a fall night. The cream cheese also added the perfect amount of cream:-) Great recipe!