Jan
2008

My Kind of Grilled Cheese

Tags:

Dinner

I had some of my tomato soup for lunch yesterday and just had to have a grilled cheese to go along with it. As I was rummaging through my fridge that needs cleaned out badly, I pulled out some Tillamook cheddar, avocado, spinach and bacon. Great combo with the soup! It was so yummy!

With the left over avocado, I made a little guacamole to go with chips. My 2 year old came over to the table with me and was staring at the guacamole. I handed him a chip and said, try some of mommy’s guacamole. He looked at me and said, “No, bad word mommy.” I was cracking up. I don’t know what he thought I was saying, but he didn’t want any guacamole!

This sammy is nothing difficult, just plain tasty. If you’re ever in the mood for a kicked up grilled cheese, you won’t be disappointed with this one! Enjoy!

Tillamook Grilled Cheese with Bacon, Avocado and Spinach

2 slices lightly buttered whole grain wheat bread
2 slices Tillamook mild Cheddar cheese
2 strips cooked crisped bacon (I use the precooked bacon from Costco, 60 seconds in the microwave and done!)
4 thin slices Avocado
small handful of fresh baby spinach leaves

1. Heat small skillet over medium heat. When hot place 1 slice of bread in center of skillet, butter side down. Layer with 1 slice of cheese, avocado, bacon, spinach remaining cheese slice then 2nd slice of bread, butter side up.
2. Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp, pressing down slightly on bread with spatula. Remove from heat, cut in half if desired and serve. Great for dipping in tomato soup!

Comments

Laura says:

How! That sandwich looks so good! Almost makes me want to change out of my pjs and run to the store to buy some avocados and bacon! And, I love Tillamook. When I went to the Oregon coast the Tillamook factory was a real highlight!

Catherine says:

Oh, Jenny..that’s so funny! I wonder what he thought??
    Your and my tastebuds were definitely separated at birth! We love the same food! I could eat cheese, avocado, bacon…all day long!

Hi Kimmy,
    I know he’s a little stinker!

Marie,
    Isn’t that the cutest little city? I love their products.

MrsPresley says:

what a great complement to the tomato soup! i am still dying to make that soup too… need to do a grocery run first though.

do you think your son thought you were saying something like “holy moly”? that’s the only thing is even remotely close that i can think of! LOL

Jill says:

I am honestly addicted to your blog…I plan my meals around what you’re making! Keep them coming! Tonight we had the creamy fire-roasted tomato and bacon soup and I had leftover mashed potatoes from Sunday dinner(the yummy kind w/ cream cheese) and I added a scoop and poured the soup and bacon on top-DIVINE! I have a soup sharing night on Wednesday and I will be bringing this one-I’m sure it will be a major hit!

Mrs Presley,
    Hope you enjoy the soup. Still a mystery as to what my little guy thought I was saying!

Jill,
    Now that is creative! Mashed potatoes and tomato soup! I bet it was yummy!

Birdie says:

Love the grilled cheese. I don’t think there is a better sandwich in the world than a good old grilled cheese.!

Cupcakes & Yoga says:

Oh my god you’re killing me. When I go grocery shopping this weekend I gotta add bacon and avacado to my list! :)

Mindy says:

Jenny,
    I couldn’t remember exactly what was on your grilled cheese when I was making lunch today…I just knew it was fancy. I added avocado and tomato to mine and it was super yummy. But I totally want to try it with the bacon now! Thanks for the yummy ideas!

PheMom says:

Jenny – I only have two words to say here: Oh, yeah.

Vicki says:

Ooh! I want to add a sunny-side egg!

snbjork says:

This sandwich is divine! I have recently become addicted to the pre-cooked bacon (from Sam’s), so I always have it in my freezer. And now I am in the habit of buying avocados, thanks to you. I just had this again for lunch today and it was perfect. And it is so filling that I only need half (which is rare for me!). I paired it with grapes and baby carrots (and a book with Mr. Darcy….)! =)

I love your site and truly appreciate all the awesome recipes! I have a very long list of things I want to try.