Feb
2008

If You Like Starbuck’s Coffee Cake…….

Tags:

Desserts

Four years ago, I participated in my very first cook-off and had no idea what I was getting into. At that Pillsbury Bake-off in Hollywood, CA I was so lucky to have met Beth R., who has become a wonderful friend that I enjoy keeping in touch with. Beth is the one who introduced me to the world of cooking contests which I have grown to love over the years! I have truly met some of the greatest people.

Just a few nights ago, Beth emailed me all sorts of great recipes that her and her family enjoy. This “Starbucks Coffee Cake” was one that I knew I just had to get my hands on! Luckily I had all the ingredients on hand and I was so excited to make it.

Starbucks always has the best looking baked goods! Needless to say this recipe is another keeper. Beth said it’s always a hit at Bake Sales and I can see why! The crunchy, buttery, cinnamon topping is so good, who needs Starbucks when you can make this cake right in your own kitchen! You’ve all got to try this one, it’s too easy and delicious to pass up!

Ok, maybe not good for the diet, but hey a little coffee cake is ok every now and then!

Beth’s Starbuck’s Coffee Cake

(half recipe)

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients on back of box)

2 Sticks cold salted butter
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 ¾ Cups brown sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla
Powdered sugar (for dusting)

PREHEAT oven to 350.

PREPARE cake mixe in large bowl according to directions on box. Spray 9X13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until center is just barely set.

WHILE cakes are baking, prepare crumb topping. In large bowl of electric mixer combine, butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla until all crumbly.

IMMEDIATELY after cake is removed from oven, break crumb topping into marble size pieces with fingers, sprinkling over top. Put back in oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes (topping will begin to look a little less wet/raw). Let cool fully then dust with powdered sugar, using a sieve.

CUT into squares and serve.

****Beth doubles the recipe and uses a 8 or 9 inch baking dish in addition to the 9×13 inch dish, feel free to double it to make more if desired. I only had one cake mix, so decided to half it.**** 2 9X13 inch baking dishes would also work fine.

Comments

Stevens girl says:

Okay, I’m confused. If I double it am I supposed to use two 9×13 dishes? In the directions it says to divide between the two dishes, but I only see one dish so I’m wondering if that’s from the directions for the full recipe.

Catherine Wilkinson says:

I love Beth too! She is just the nicest and most talented person!
    Great recipe, perfect for gifts…in fact, I need to make this for a friend who’s sick…!
    PS…just 6 more days! Can’t wait until the show!

Stevens Girl,
    Beth uses a 9×13 and a 8 or 9 inch square and divides the cake mix between the two. You could use 2 9X13’s if you want too.

Hi Catherine,
    I’m trying to forget that the show airs that quickly! And trying to forget that I have a beautiful cold sore and get to do the news cooking demo tomorrow! Uhhggg!

furiousBall says:

yes, that in my mouth stat.

wow, i love crumb cakes and this looks like mrs. right now in mah belly

Emiline says:

That looks so good! And yes, I do like Starbuck’s coffee cake…or anything by Starbuck’s, really.
    I would love to try this sometime.
    Did you ever try making the Starbuck’s chocolate bread? It’s great.

HI Emiline,
    It’s funny, I was thinking I’m probably the only one who hasn’t tried that yummy looking chocolate cake from starbucks!

Kameron says:

Okay, I printed it out and I’m making it RIGHT NOW! I cook dinner for another family every weeknight (their mom passed away a few years ago), and I try to make a dessert once a week or so. This is it!! (It also gives me an excuse to bake for my little family, but we don’t end up with as much sugar when I split it up.)

Amy says:

That crumb looks awesome! Like the thick Entenmann’s we used to get as a kid visiting New York. I never wanted the cake, just the crumb.

Tracy says:

Wow, that looks wonderful! I’m not at all surprised that it came from the talented Beth R.

I can’t believe you & I started the contest hobby at the very same event — you seem to have been in everything since then! Impressive.

I think I’m in the minority here, but as a general rule, I think Starbuck’s baked goods look better than they taste. I’ll bet your cake tastes way better than theirs.

Deborah says:

This looks delicious!

Kameron,
    I think everyone will really enjoy this! I know we are still munching on it today!

Amy,
    I find myself picking off the crumb too, it’s so good!

Tracy,
    Why didn’t I know we both started contesting in 04? Crazy! What fun this hobby is huh? I feel like I’ve been out of the loop for a while. Time to get contesting again!

I don’t know Tracy, every I pick up a muffin or cake from Starbucks it’s pretty darn good!! And totally fattening.

Thanks for commenting everyone!

Chani says:

Jenny,
    You have no clue who I am, but I found your blog a while ago via a friend, and I am really interested in doing the Bakers Challenge. However, I have tried emailing both ladies a couple of times, having them returned each time because they are invalid addresses. Any idea how to contact them another way? Thanks so much! Chani

Jaime says:

this looks just like the starbucks version! great job :) guess we were both thinking along the same lines recently w/our starbucks copycat recipes :)

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, that looks sinfully good!!better than Starbucks!!

A. Grace says:

i worked at starbucks for awhile and ate more than my fair share of the scrumptious coffee cake. if this recipe yields something that tastes even remotely like it, my tastebuds thank you!

my thighs, on the other hand, do not. :)

HoneyB says:

I’ve been on a coffeecake/muffin kick lately – and this looks so quick and easy! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll have to try this one on the co-workers!

Karen says:

I usually slap my hand away from Starbucks sweets, but I would try this one for sure. Looks sweet and homey!

Chani,
    If you email me your email I will try to email the daring bakers for you.

Thanks everyone!!

rvan says:

It never fails, everytime I peek at your blog, I happen to be on a health kick….and then I cheat because I have to try your latest recipe, not sure if I should be thanking you or not!! This looks great and I’m afraid I have all the ingrediants too!

Michelle says:

Hi Jenny,
    I just wanted to let you know that I did put the link to you blog on my post. It’s down at the bottom, but because of my background it doesn’t look like a link. I would never try to claim your recipe as mine. I am sorry for the confusion. I love your recipes.

Summer says:

Hey Jenny! Summer Tilton here. I just saw you on TV! How cool! Hope you won, you will have to let me know! Oh, your recipes all look so yummy! Maybe I will get up the nerve to try them one day soon. It seems that we eat the same things over and over again!

Brandon and Camille Smithson says:

okay, that looks good! thank you for sharing (yet again!)

Bonnie says:

Jenny, this looks delicious! Anything with crumbly, buttery topping sounds delish! I too love any yummy thing that Starbucks has. This would be a nice dessert if you are taking someone dinner. I am the Bonnie that doesn’t have a blog. Linked to you from Kim A. I have bought some cute clothes from her. I think she is your sis?

rvan,
    I need to stop baking so much, it’s not been good for the good ol’ hips!

Hi Michelle,
    Thanks so much for pointing that out. Sometimes I think I need glasses, I kind of figured I probably missed it!

Hi Summer,
    I’m glad that news interview is over!! I’m surprised you saw it! Great to hear from you!!

Hi Camille,
    Thanks!

Thanks Bonnie,
    Yes, Kim is my sister. She sells really cute clothes too!

Annemarie says:

I love your recipes! I just found you, and love the site! Your pics look as great as the food! I can’t wait to try this one!

Mindy says:

Jenny, Have you heard of blurb.com? With all the amazing pictures you have taken and all your fab recipes, you could totally get a blurb recipe book. Basically, it takes all the info right off your blog and makes it into a great little book. Just thought I’d pass that little idea along. Thanks for all the great recipes. I went to Trader Joe’s a couple of weeks ago and bought some of the items you suggested. I’m looking forward to using them :)

Chani,
    I found these emails from the Daring Bakers. These should be the most recent.

(creampuffsinvenice@gmail.com) (lamiacucina@adelphia.net)

Patsyk says:

That looks heavenly!

Steve & Emily says:

Jenny!! I made this today and it’s great. I was proud to take it to my friend- knowing it was yummy. So fast and easy. Thanks!
    -Emily Johnston

Thanks Patsyk,
    I just found your blog. Love it!

I’m glad you enjoyed it Emily! How easy is it to make??!! I love it.

Kevin says:

I have never had the Starbucks Coffee Cake but yours looks really good!

beth says:

I just found your blog and this looks yummy, yummy, yummy. I can’t wait to surprise my husbnd with it. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel says:

The kids and I made this coffee cake this afternoon and it is real hit! My cake did take longer to bake than recipe indicates.

the7gerbers says:

Do I have this straight??

**2** sticks of butter to make crumb topping on **1** 9×13 pan of cake?

Sounds deadly and delicious! :-)

~Andrea
    the7gerbers@earthlink.net

michelle @ the smackdown says:

whoa…butter.

drool.

i want to be all cool-like and say that i never go to s’bux, but that coffee cake is GOOD.

Pattie says:

Made this for my husband to bring to his co-workers. It got rave reviews. Thanks again.

Camilla says:

Hi Jenny!

I finally got around to making this (I’ve been looking for a good excuse :). My husband needed to bring something in for a dept. baby shower, so I whipped this up last night. Of course I saved some for us to try (OMG!) Kevin just emailed and said people inhaled it. They asked for the recipe so I emailed your link; he is going to forward it to the dept. Thanks Jenny!

Amelia says:

I’ve made this twice now and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do with the batter bubbling out the topping when it goes in the oven for the second time. Tastes just delicious but I’d like it to look as good as it tastes. Help anyone? BTW, I make the half reciped in a 9×13.

JoyBugaloo says:

Amelia, I had the same problem! I think the only answer to bake the cake part longer (maybe ten minutes or so?)so that it sets up more and is sturdy enough to handle the weight of the crumb topping. (It can’t be all liquid in the middle when the crumb topping goes on.) At least, this is what I’m going to try when I make this again!

Hi Nina,
    If you don’t follow the directions given on a recipe, I don’t feel it’s fair to say the recipe didn’t turn out as expected. I have made this cake a zillion times and it comes out fabulous. Get yourself a basic electric mixer and I think you’ll find your problem is solved. The topping is made to be thick, so it shouldn’t have gone to waste like you mentioned.

Anonymous says:

OMG awesome! but can we PLEASE get the BLUEBERRY COFFEECAKE recipe! i;m addicted to that stuff! :D!

LMO says:

Can you layer this in like a bundt pan or another pan so you have a layer of crumb topping in the middle?

[...] though. The only thing I would change about this recipe is to double the topping recipe. In the original recipe the topping is much thicker and I am all about some streusle topping. For some reason I did not put [...]

Tim says:

Yumm.. That surely looks luscious!! Honestly, I really love Starbucks’ pastries.. not only that, they also go well with a warm cup of coffee. Thanks for posting this recipe. I’ll try this one when I get home. Great post by the way. Thanks!

Tim M says:

While this is VERY close, I think the cake portion is still missing something. I added about 8 tablespoons of extra flower to make it a little less like plain cake. But still think there needs to be something added to the cakemix to make it a little more like the Starbucks version. Never the less, it still turned out wonderful, thanks for the receipe.

Stacey says:

I tried to make the coffee cake, but the crumbs fell through the top! How do you keep the crumbs on top?

James Garcia says:

Cake recipes are the specialty of my best friend, my favorite ones are those exotic fruit cakes*–

[...] and encouraging. Unfortunately my food choices would not be too encouraging. (We still have a some Starbucks inspired homemade coffee cake in the house. That stuff probably has a thousand calories a [...]

Jay Hunt says:

i love to eat cakes and bake them too that is why i am always on the lookout for cake recipes,:~