Apr
2008

I Love The Simple Things In Life…

Tags: ,

Cookies

Hope no one had any lame April fool jokes played on them today! I assure you that these cute little cookies are no joke!

Who would think that a cake mix could make such an amazing cookie in no time at all? These Strawberry Colada Cookies were a breeze to make and soooo good.

My friend from work was telling me about her neighbor who made a great sugar cookie using just a white cake mix, 1/3 C oil and 2 eggs. I’ve had a few cake mix cookies that I really enjoy such as those easy pumpkin ones from last year. I went home and looked in my pantry to find I had a strawberry cake mix. Then a little light bulb went off and I thought, hmm I could use my coconut oil in place of the vegetable oil to make these a little strawberry colada cookie.

Talk about yummy. The toasted coconut cream cheese frosting makes them even better. Give them a whirl, they are a breeze and I love that they are PINK!

How cute are they?

Strawberry Colada Cookies With Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

1 box strawberry Cake Mix, I used Pillsbury Brand
1/3 Cup coconut oil, melted in microwave until liquified
2 eggs, beaten

Frosting

4 oz softenend cream cheese
1 Tablespoons softened butter
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoons milk

1 Cup shredded sweetened coconut toasted in oven until golden brown (350 degrees F.)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, oil and eggs until just combined. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Do not press down. Bake for 11-15 minutes or until cooked through. Let cook 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

2. Place cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth and creamy. slowly add in powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth. Spread frosting on top of cookies then sprinkle toasted coconut over top of frosting.
Makes about 24 cookies

Comments

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Very adorable! Great idea for the coconut oil! And how easy and smart using the cake mix. I have to try this, I have about a zillion Pillsbury cake mixes leftover from you-know-what…lol!

Erin says:

Wow…pink cookies! Now that’s something you don’t see everyday. When I was a kid I always had to have “pink” cake for my birthday with those hard candy Strawberry Shortcake edible decorations you can get at the grocery store. Obviously this would by default make me a fan of these.

Deborah says:

I LOVE cake mix cookies, and strawberry is my favorite flavor. I love that you took these to a whole new level!

spyderette says:

i think i will try these with regular canola oil and a splash of coconut extract.

Sarah says:

Those look great! I have always wanted to try one of the cake mix cookie recipes, but wasn’t sure if I would like them. I might have to give this recipe a go. Thanks!

Patsyk says:

Those are simply the cutest little cookies! You are so good at making substitutions and having the recipe turn out really well. I love that this can be adapted so easily… so many flavor combos floating around! Yum!

Karen says:

Those are darling! I’ve heard of cookies from cake mixes too. Clever. And I know my daughter would love these!

Thanks Catherine! I know what you mean about the Pillsbury cake mixes. We’ll get em next time!

I bet you’d be a fan Erin!

Hi Deborah,
    If you love strawberry cake, you’ll love these.

Spyderette,
    Great idea!

Hope you enjoy Sarah!

Thanks Patsyk!

Hope your daughter enjoys them!!

jayna says:

hi! i don’t even know you… came across your blog somehow. just wanted to tell you that i LOVE your blog!! can’t wait to start trying some of these recipes!

Steph says:

I love the new look of your blog! The cookies sound so yummy! Cake mixes rock!

Proud Italian Cook says:

My daughters walking in the 3- Day, and they’re having a fund raiser, these cookies would be perfect!And they sound yummy too!

Bonnie says:

You mentioned before where to get the coconut oil, but could you tell me again? Thanks – and I too love cake mix cookies. Try orange cake mix w/chocolate chips. Yummy!!

The Thompson Family says:

Ok – I am new to your blog… and I have to say TOP CHEF has NOTHING ON YOU!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!! I love all your recipes… how creative are you!!! Definately one of my new fav blogs.

Welcome Jayna!
    Glad you found my blog. Hope you will enjoy the recipes!

Thanks Steph,
    I agree, you can’t go wrong with a cake mix from time to time.

Hi Marie,
    Sounds like these would make a nice cookie for the event! Hope they bring in some good money for the fundraiser!

Hi Bonnie,
    I get mine from Sprouts here in AZ, but I’ve been told you can purchase it at Super Walmart and Target. Just make sure it says Virgin Coconut Oil.

Thanks Thompson Family!
    I would totally get wasted by those Top Chef’s but thanks for the compliment! Glad you found my blog, enjoy!

Emiline says:

Oooh, pretty.
    I popped popcorn in my coconut oil the other night. I thought it was the best popcorn I’ve ever made! I’m working on a recipe with the measurements.

The Black Hole says:

PP,

Love the new blog look. And as always, the recipe loooks fantastic and SO easy! i gotta try the coconut oil for sure.

Patsyk says:

I was just checking back to look at the recipe again and noticed the change to your blog design! LOVE IT! It’s so spring-like! :)

Zen Chef says:

Can you Fedex me a dozen so i can tell you how good they are? :-)
    Pleaaase!

Emiline,
    That popcorn sounds terrific!

Thanks BH,
    I am totally hooked using the coconut oil now. It’s great.

Thanks Patsyk,
    I am always needing to switch things up, I’m sure it won’t be the last.

Zen Chef,
    Funny. Sounds like my boys, Pleaaaase Mom!!!

Tracy says:

I love your new banner! So pretty!

Those cookies look really nice. It’s always nice to have recipes that are tasty and quick to throw together.

Kara says:

Hi there, I found your recipe from tastespotting.com just when I was craving cookies but had a low pantry supply. I had one box of red velvet cake mix….I used vegetable oil since I had no coconut oil. They turned out great! I took them to work and cookies always make an office happy. The toasted coconut took a couple batches to get right, I didn’t realize how fast it toasts. But it’s all great practice. Food experiments are the best experiments! Take care and happy baking.

DeAnn McWhorter says:

Hi Jenny,
    I think you know my sister in law Randi Van…she told me about your blog and I am hooked! I made your Southwest Rigatoni and your Strawberry Cookies the other night-Yum! I didn’t have coconut oil (NO TRADER JOES HERE IN HARRISBURG, PA, I miss AZ) so I used butter and some coconut extract, they were delich! Thanks for all you hardwork. My family eats better thanks to you!

Jaime says:

those are so cute!

becky says:

woah! these are some crazy looking cookies. a combination i never would have thought of but you’ve piqued my interest.

ali says:

These cookies look so cute…..and so yummy! I’m willing to try anything with cream cheese in it!