Aug
2008

I’m in Pasta Heaven With This Dish!

Tags:

Good Tuesday Night everyone! I’ve been busy busy trying to get everything ready for my son’s official Birthday tomorrow. I can’t believe he is going to be 6 years old. Transformer this Transformer that, I think I’ve just about got everything ready for his buddies to come over tomorrow.

I’m so excited to share this recipe with you all. I swear I could eat this just about everyday. It is creamy, full of flavor and tastes like it’s straight out of a restaurant! I know prosciutto is expensive, but I promise it is so worth it on special occasions such as for this pasta. If you must, substitute crumbled bacon pieces, but only if you must!

I love how the gorgonzola doesn’t overpower the sauce. Even if you are not a blue cheese fan, I bet you still like this pasta. Give it a try, and let me know what you think!!

Tortiglioni Florentine in a Gorgonzola Cream Sauce with Frizzled Prosciutto

1 lb Tortiglioni pasta or other pasta of choice

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
6 slices prosciutto diced

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup finely diced onion
½ Cup thinly sliced fennel
4 Cups Spinach, coarsely chopped

16 oz 2% milk or half and half if you are feeling crazy
½ lb crumbled gorgonzola cheese or about 2 Cups
¼ Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
Pinch of kosher salt and pepper

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto until browned and crisped, stirring often. Usually takes between 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

3. Heat olive oil into a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and fennel until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted down, about 5 more minutes.

4. Pour in milk and heat for 5 minutes on medium high heat or until piping hot. Stir in gorgonzola and parmesan cheese. Stir until cheeses are melted. Reduce heat and stir in cooked pasta, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and serve quickly, sauce thickens over time. Add additional milk to loosen sauce up if necessary, especially if you are re-heating the next day. Enjoy!

6 servings
_______________________

Happy Birthday to my goofball! This picture says it all, with his way too small superhero suit that he insists on still wearing and his brother’s small bike. He’s always a crack up!

Have a great next few days! I’ll be back soon with a “chilly” treat that will make everyone happy and a terrific side!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

That pasta looks amazing! Have a great party – he’s a cutie!

Aggie says:

I’m up late with ya!

This pasta looks so so good…unbelievably good. Pasta is comfort food and anything with gorgonzola and prosciutto has to taste good!!

Emily says:

Your boys are darling! We hear plenty about Transformers in our family too!

This pasta sounds sooooo good! I am making my grocery list as we speak and added Gorgonzola onto it! I am a Parmesan girl all thew way and have not really made much with blue cheese . . but that will change!

Stokes Family says:

You totally need your own show!! I think you could put Rachel Ray out on the streets!! I found your blog while surfing and you seem to be a hit here in Utah!! I can’t wait to try some of these recipes! I have 2 sons and a work-a-holic hubby…all of which are very picky eaters!! Thanks so much for taking the time to help us kitchen-challenged moms out!

HoneyB says:

Your pasta would definitely be a hit with me! I love cream sauces!

Happy Birthday to your little one! I’m sure his day will be made super special!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Oh my! Jenny I could have that right now for breakfast! It looks really delicious! Really really really! Have fun at you baby’s party! Be careful with those transformers!

Mandy says:

Happy Birthday you little bike-ridin’ superhero!
    That looks yummy! We love blue cheese and we love prosciutto! I really don’t like fennel but when it’s in pasta it’s not so bad, if you say it’s fabulous, I believe you!:) I’m going to try making it with fat-free half and half and see how it cooks. Have fun with the Birthday Boy!

Mary Ann says:

This looks heavenly! I always “splurge” on things like prosciutto, because it makes such a difference in the overall taste. I am going to try this one! This looks so yummy! Sounds like an exciting party as well! Happy B-day to your son! He is too cute.

Prudy says:

That looks delish and well worth the splurge. I just love blue cheese of any variety. Happy Birthday to your adorable little goofball and good luck to you getting through the buddy party.

Thanks Barbara!

Late nighter huh Aggie!? I love anything with gorgonzola and prosciutto too!

Thanks Emily, let me know what you think of the gorgonzola, it makes such a yummy sauce!

Wow, thanks Stokes Family! Glad you found my blog, hope you’ll find some recipes for you and your family!

Thanks Shelby!

Thanks Rita,
    I’ll try to watch out for flying transformers this afternoon!

Hi Mary Ann,
    I agree, there are just some things to splurge on and prosciutto is one of them!

Thanks Prudy!

Great pasta dish and Happy Birthday to your little guy!

Lisa says:

Wow! So great looking! I crisp prosciutto all the time and put it on top of pasta and other things…so good! What a precious picture. Happy birthday to that adorable birthday boy!

Ali says:

Yum! That looks fabulous. I can’t wait to try…

Sara says:

Yum! This looks great! It does look packed with flavor. You have got a cute little boy .

Pam says:

Rich, creamy and delicious! I love using prosciutto with my pasta and the gorgonzola just puts it over the top. Great recipe and mouth watering pictures.

Candy says:

My mom just brought me some Clemson blue cheese. I’m going to try this sauce!

Amy says:

Looks delish!! We love any variety of ‘stinky’ cheese as we call it at my house:) Can’t wait to try this one!!

Bonnie says:

Hi Jenny. Great recipe! I think I’ll use it as a side dish with salmon for a little dinner I’m having. Thanks a ton! And… your son is hilarious. My 3 little grandboys LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Transformers too. Happy Birthday to him.

Donna, aka. Yellow Jeep Blonde says:

My oldest boy would absolutely love this!
    Thanks for sharing.

And happy birthday to YOUR little boy. They DO grow up so fast.

Deborah says:

Happy birthday to your little guy!! And I can see why you love this pasta – so many great ingredients!

Beth says:

Wow wow and more wow – this pasta looks amazing. Hope your little one (or not so little now!!) has a great day!!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Frizzled Prosciutto…thats my kinda dish!

Melanie says:

Yum – this looks fabulous. I have some gorgonzola in the fridge that I am anxious to use so I am going to try this for sure.

Bunny says:

This looks very very good!

Lisa says:

The pasta looks so yummmy and I cant wait for the “chilly” treat coming up.

Check out my blog, I passed an award on to you cause you know I love your cookin!

1215656559s20768 says:

This looks great! I was so excited to find a Wal-mart close to where I live is now carrying prosciutto in the deli case. It used to mean over an hour’s drive for me to get an ingredient like that.

Lorie says:

That number above was me…Lorie. No matter what I do with this typekey account, it won’t leave my name…just a number. Aargh!

Anyway, your recipe looks great.

Kitchen Flavours says:

Pasta looks divine.

Tasty Trends says:

that pasta looks so yummy! blue cheese is great!

happy birthday to your little one!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Your pasta looks like heaven for sure! I haven’t eaten breakfast yet and I’m about to pass out after seeing this dish. Great job Jenny! When can I come over for dinner? ;-)

~Priscilla~ says:

wow, that looks delicious! i will have to try this. oh, i made something else from you jenny on my blog….let me tell you – it is a keeper!

Patsyk says:

I would love this dish… my family not so much because of the blue cheese. Oh well… one day I’ll convert them! ;)

Your little guy is so cute! We have that same costume as well as The Thing… so they play Fantastic 4 all the time!

Live.Love.Eat says:

This is definitely dreamy. I wish my hubby loved the cream sauces more like I do so I will make this one night for myself!!!

Allie says:

Yummy pasta! I’m such a sucker for any pasta dish so I will be trying this one for sure. Hope your son had a great birthday!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, I would sure enjoy a great big dish of this! Yumm! Your son’s a doll, have a great party!

simply kris says:

i’ve been peeking over your blogging shoulder for awhile… figured it was time to say “hi”. You’re pictures are tastable! And the recipes make me think I should start cooking and not miss out on something supremely delicious. thank you for sharing. it’s peeked my interest in kitchen creations.

Kitchen Flavours says:

There is a suprise for you in my blog. Click here to know what the suprise is, http://kitchenflavours.blogspot.com/2008/07/fruit-chaat.html

Thanks everybody! I really enjoy reading all of your comments! My son’s Birthday was a success, I’ll write about it with tonight’s post.

Welcome Simply Kris, hope I can continue to inspire you to get in the kitchen, the simple cooking way!!

Just missed you Kitchen Flavours, thanks for the cool new award!!

Meghan says:

Honestly, I do not know how you do not have your own show on The Food Network.
    You need to go on the Next Food Network Challenge show.
    Aaron, this years winner, if local to me, so I was pretty excited.

Sister! You so need to try out for the next one!!!

Hi Meghan,
    Thank you for your nice comments. I love watching the Food Network Star an have given a half second thought about it, but in my opinion, if you haven’t been to Culinary school, you can pretty much hang it up! Maybe someday I’ll go to culinary school to get more knowledge. I think that would be so much fun. Now only if I had 12 more hours to every day!! Thanks again, I am flattered by your nice words!!

mikky says:

your pasta looks so delicious… my kids would love it… thanks for sharing… btw, you have a very helpful and interesting blog here… :)

hot garlic says:

How did I miss this!? This time difference is more like a time warp -I SWEAR I was here yesterday!!

Happy birthday to your little guy!

This looks so decadent! I love bleu cheese I have NO qualms about eating pasta with 2 cups of the good stuff atop! And you really can’t go wrong with prosciutto -you are right, it is worth a little splurge every now and again!

Hi Mandy, sorry your dish didn’t turn out as creamy. I know that the milk needs to be almost boiling before you add the cheeses. Did you let it heat long enough? Other than that, I always add more milk at the end if it is too thick. Hope this helps!!

Emiline says:

Happy birthday to your son!

Pamela says:

This I MUST try! I love gorgonzola and this recipe looks amazing. I love the pic of your little guy! My oldest is the same with his old costumes! Too cute.

Helene says:

Really beautiful cakes. For the dog, I may be wrong but why do people bring their dogs in cars. I see that around here all the time, even in the heat. Can’t they just leave their dogs home?

Cate says:

Mmm, this reminds me a bit of a recipe I got from a cooking class on a cruise we took. Love gorgonzola and frizzled prosciutto …

Kuckie says:

Mmmmm…that picture makes me kind of happy that fall is on it’s way! I can’t bring myself to eat pasta in the summer, but when the weather gets cooler, bring it on!!! This will be at the tip of my list! Thanks, Jenny!

The McGee Family says:

Looks so good! Where in az do you buy your Prosciutto? I haven’t looked around that much but I know the walmarts I have been to don’t have it. Thanks! Your amazing in your cooking! What a blessing and a gift!!