This Creamy Pesto Sausage Pasta is the best whole wheat pasta dish! It’s an easy, healthy family favorite made with pesto, sausage and parmesan cheese!
Creamy Pesto Sausage Pasta
Simple pasta recipes are my favorite recipes to make! This creamy pesto sausage pasta was a huge hit with the family and it could not be more simple to prepare with just a handful of ingredients. Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread and a salad and you’ll be good to go!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This is a quick and easy dinner recipe to make for busy weeknights!
- While it’s quick to make, it has amazing flavor!
- Dinner is done in under 30 minutes!
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make this pasta recipe at home. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full details and instructions.
- small dry pasta– I used small whole wheat pasta shells for the recipe today. Any small shaped pasta works great.
- ground sausage– You can use a mild ground sausage or hot version. I usually get Jimmy Dean in the sausage roll.
- pesto– Find the prepared pasta in the pasta section of the grocery store. Near the pasta sauce.
- heavy cream– Heavy cream is used to make the pasta creamy. Find it in the dairy section near the milk.
- Parmesan Cheese– For best tasting results use a freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. In the refrigerated section of the grocery store, they offer fresh grated.
- basil leaves– Fresh basil goes so nicely in pasta dishes. Adds a delicious freshness garnished on top.
How to Make Creamy Pesto Sausage Pasta
Cook Pasta. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Brown Sausage. Place sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, crumble and brown. Transfer cooked pasta and sausage to large pot over medium low heat.
Add Pesto and Cream To Pasta. Transfer the cooked pasta and browned sausage to a nice pot. I check the doneness of my pasta 2 minutes before the suggested time, to make sure it doesn’t get overcooked.Slowly stir in pesto and cream. Cook until hot, takes just a few minutes.
Garnish each plate of pasta with fresh grated Parmesan Cheese and fresh chopped basil leaves.
Quick and simple weeknight dinner friends.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Note that if pasta is left out before serving, sauce will thicken slightly. Add more cream or milk to thin.
- Watch pasta carefully as it nears being done cooking. I like to check it 2 minutes before the box recommends. You want it al dente, not too soft.
- Add your favorite chopped sauteed vegetables to the pasta to mix it up. Zucchini and broccoli florets are a great addition.
How To Serve
Serve pasta with a side salad and garlic bread if you’d like. It’s fantastic by itself, but great with sides as well. Try switching up the protein. Chicken, shrimp, beef are all great options. Try adding other sauteed vegetables to the pasta. Zucchini, broccoli, peppers are all delicious.
Store any leftover pasta in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat pasta in a heat proof bowl covered and microwave for 60-90 seconds until hot.
To freeze leftover pasta, place it into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating as instructed above.
Try More Pasta Recipes
Creamy Pesto Sausage Pasta
- Large Skillet/Fry Pan
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- measuring cups
- mixing spoon
- 1 pound small pasta dry
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, crumble and brown. Transfer cooked pasta and sausage to large pot over medium low heat. Slowly stir in pesto and cream. Cook until hot. Before serving sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh basil.