Sep
2008

I’m Back, With Breakfast Chorizo Cups….

Tags: ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Ahhh, it’s so true that there’s no place like home! Got back from NY late Friday night and had an incredible 3 exciting days in the middle of Manhattan. The hustle and bustle of Time Square is crazy, people are in such hurry ALL the time, but at the same time it is such an interesting place.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I was completely surprised to get a call from the folks at Pillsbury for an opportunity to do some online cooking videos for Pillsbury.com. They are looking to feature the videos sometime this fall. A very successful pastry chef/cookbook author demonstrated most of the videos, but they wanted a past Bake-off finalist to feature some recipes as well. After some finagling with child care for my boys, I accepted this great opportunity.

Everyone was so accommodating and made sure I was completely taken care of. The Marriot Marquis Hotel was beautiful, right in the middle of Time Square and had fantastic room service. It was so weird and quiet being in a hotel room by myself but I managed just fine with the big bowl of veggi pasta and chocolate molten cake I dined on Wednesday night! Back to eating better Monday as usual……

I spent 2 days in a cute kitchen studio with producers, camera crew, a make-up/hair person and demonstrated 3 separate Pillsbury Bake-off recipes with a host from Howdini.com. It was really interesting to see how it all works behind the scenes. The process was very professional and much more involved than I would have ever thought.

So, that’s my last few days in a nutshell. Cool huh? I have the most supportive family and friends, I couldn’t have gone if it weren’t for everyone’s help. Thanks guys!

In honor of my Pillsbury filled weekend, I designed a killer breakfast/brunch recipe this morning using none other than Pillsbury Crescent rolls, look for these low-fat ones, they were great. You’ve got to try these, the chorizo and smoked cheddar adds the best flavor and as usual they are as EASY as ever. If you have chorizo haters (aka) babies in your house too (my husband and oldest son), although my husband did love the chorizo, I made a few cups without chorizo so I didn’t have to hear the whining. Leave it out as needed!

Here’s the cute little cup with no chorizo. If you’ve got chorizo whiners at home, just leave it out, but make sure to add a pinch of salt and pepper to the egg mixture. The chorizo adds so much flavor it doesn’t need salt at all.

Green Chili and Smoked Cheddar Chorizo Breakfast Cups

1 can Pillsbury Crescent Dinner Rolls, reduced fat, 8 count

3 eggs

2 Tablespoons milk

¼ Cup diced green chilies from can

½ Cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded

½ Cup cooked chorizo, about ¼ lb (just brown it in a skillet for about 10 minutes over medium heat)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll crescent rolls and press the widest part of triangle into 8 muffin cups, pressing up the sides and bottom of cups, leaving points of dough hanging over sides. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, chilies, cheese and cooled chorizo. Pour into muffin cups filling nearly to the top. Take 2 longest points of dough and lightly twist them, then set on the top and middle of cup. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, remove from muffin cups and EAT!

8 servings

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! See you soon with something sweet!

Comments

Bob says:

Those look awesome. I love chorizo and adding smoked cheddar makes it even better. But you could pretty much put anything in these, it’s like an omelet wrapped in a croissant.

Your right Bob, you could put just about any good ingredient in with the eggs and it’d turn out fantastic!

Sara says:

These look great, I will give them a try!

HoneyB says:

These look awesome Jenny! Welcome home!

Cate says:

Sounds like a great trip, Jenny, but I agree, while it’s fun to go away, it’s always nice to be home too. Bunch of chorizo fans in the house, printing recipe now.

Lucy says:

What a fun trip… and great looking & yummy breakfast /brunch cups!!

EAT! says:

Sounds like an exciting and fun few days in NYC. Congrats on the Pillsbury videos – I can’t wait to check them out. Your breakfast cups look perfect for some of my clients who want quick breakfast items. I can’t wait to make them.

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Oh Jenny that’s so cool! You must have had a blast! Please make sure to tell us when the videos are online, I’ll love to see them!
    I love chorizo!!! These little cups wouls be so good anytime of the day!
    Good to have you back!

Emily says:

Jenny I am so glad that you ahda a fun trip! I will definnately have to check out your movies online!

You must have browsed thru my fridge too, since I have a package of chorizo that has been waiting for use . . . problem solved!

Mary Ann says:

What a fun opportunity! These cups look wonderful and what a great little breakfast. I am sure that we will all love this one! Welcome home, Jenny!

alexandra's kitchen says:

oh man, those look amazing!

Thanks Sarah, hope you enjoy!

Thanks Shelby!

Hi Cate,
    Glad you are chorizo fans too, I love it. I’ll be using up my left over chorizo for some burritos, yum!

Thanks Lucy!

EAT,
    Thanks, I’ll keep everyone posted on the videos, I’m assuming November. Hope your clients love these as much as I do!

Hi Rita,
    I’ll keep you posted for sure, as soon as I peek at them first, lol! Gotta make sure I don’t look like an idiot!

Hi Emily,
    Definitely use some of your chorizo on these puppys, they are really good!

Thanks Mary Ann,
    It really is great to be home!

Thanks Alexandra,
    Just missed your comment by a second or two!

The Blonde Duck says:

My husband is pickier than most three year olds. This looks great!

Jessy and her dog Winnie says:

Wow that looks great!

carol says:

Congratulations on the videos for Pillsbury, Jenny-how exciting!!!! It must have been a whirlwind 3 days for you!
    And as exciting and busy as it was…there’s no place like home, is there? I think being away from it makes you wanna grab hold of it all the more!
    Great looking breakfast cups-will have to check the grocery store and locate the chorizo-would you believe I’ve never had it? Time to try something new!!!
    Welcome back-we missed you!!!! :)

Mary says:

Jenny,

How exciting! I’m glad you had such a good time. Quite an honor, lady!

PheMom says:

Congrats! So fun!

Janine says:

Thanks for checking out my blog. I have a few picky palates as well, especially my middle child:)

These look delicious! I just made Rachel Rays Chorizo stuffed bread bites which were similar to these but in cresant rolls, no eggs but I used the leftover chorizo the next day to make an egg casserole. So good.

Lisa says:

Wow, that sounds so exciting! I bet you did great! What a yummy breakfast.

Nina Timm says:

Are you sure Pillsbury is not looking for any more volunteers???I am green with envy!

Beth says:

Sounds like you had a good time. Can you believe we don’t get Pillsbury over here in the UK

Sara says:

The Pilsbury videos sound so cool! Can’t wait to see them!

Stephanie says:

Those look good! And wow – how cool that you got to film some online cooking videos! You’re famous! Be sure to let us know when they’ll be available. :-)

Patsyk says:

Be sure to tell us when the videos are up and running, I’d love to catch a glimpse of your demos! How very exciting!

Those breakfast cups look great, and I can see how easy it would be to switch up the ingredients. Gonna have to pick up some crecents next time I’m at the store!

Emiline says:

I don’t think I’ve ever had chorizo before. I don’t know what’s wrong with me! I never think to use it.

That’s amazing about Pillsbury! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you.
    Keep us posted.

hot garlic says:

I didn’t know they made them in reduced fat, that’s great. I doubt we have them here but I’ll really look because these look great!

So glad you had a fun time, that sounds like a dream! I bet you were great, and you better watch out, I’m sure the phone is going to be ringing off the hook with other offers!

Kristen says:

Oh how fun! I’m so glad you had a good time. And – give me a few days alone in a hotel room and I think I would feel like I had died and gone to heaven :)
    Congrats on your accomplishments!

Candy says:

How fun! Wish I could have gone with you. These look great!

Sharon says:

Wow, congrats! Sounds like a great few days in NYC. Can’t wait till they publish your movie. These cups look absolutely delicious, as usual!

Aggie says:

That’s very cool Jenny! Glad you had a good trip! Welcome back!

These look great, I love chorizo and I think I have some in the freezer. I may have to use them for this!

Savvy Mode SG says:

looks yummy. i have to visit your site more often.

Proud Italian Cook says:

How exciting for you Jenny! I’m sure you did a great job with the video’s. Can’t wait to see your smiling face on camera!

Kim A says:

Hey u little cutie, these look divine! I love chorizo!

Pam says:

Welcome home and congratulations on a fabulous opportunity! The chorizo cups look delicious. My husand would be so happy if I made him these.

Mary Ann says:

Jenny- I gave you a blog award because you are awesome and an inspiration! Go check it out and you can add it to your collection!

Grace says:

very nice, jenny! i’m a huge fan of hand-held foods–anything that leads to finger-lickin’ is fine with me. :)
    and congrats on your pillsbury weekend!

Prudy says:

Congrats on that fabulous opportunity, Jenny! You’re destined for greatness.

Katherine Aucoin says:

Welcome bake and congratulations!!! These looks and sounds so tasty. I love chorizo and you can’t lose with cheese either!

Wow, what a fun trip!! Glad you had fun! But you are right, there is no place like home!
    These cups look great!! Love your new photo too!

Donna in VA says:

Congratulations! What an exciting honor!

And this recipe sounds awesome for a fantastic Brunch menu. One question though. . . you only use ONE triangle of the dough in each cup? It doesn’t seem like enough dough to hold the egg/sausage mixture. Or do you use two?

Bridgett says:

Now that is an awesome dish. I love chorizo and who could resist that for breakfast. What an exciting time you must have had in NY!! How fun!

Thanks everyone, it’s great to be back to blogging again!

Donna,
    Yes, one triangle was big enough for each regular size muffin cup. Just make sure you press the dough up the edges, it worked no problem for me. Enjoy!

Snooky doodle says:

these look so yummy :-)

Deborah says:

How awesome – I can’t wait to see the videos!

And these little cups sound so tasty!

Kelly says:

I have passed on an Excellent blog award to you! You really do a great job with your blog and I enjoy reading it.

Tasty Trends says:

that looks like a perfect breakfast!!!

Mandy says:

Welcome back, what an adventure!! We’ve stayed in the Marriott Marquis and it’s so fun, right in the middle of everything! I can’t wait to see the videos when they come up. I love the idea of the individual cups, we have company coming and this is going to be breakfast!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Oh goodness, another winner and add on to my ever growing list!!!!

Dee says:

I love chorizo! It’s my savoury nutella :) Thak you for an amazing recipe.