Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Oct
2008

My Oh My, I Love Pizza Pie…..

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

Good Late Thursday Night! I am anxious to jump into bed but first feast your eyes on a fabulous pizza pie! My pizza pie was inspired by my favorite “Mall Food” at the food court, Sbarros Pizzaria.

I have so many memories eating at Sbarros from my many pre-teen mall outings to my most recent memory with my sister in NY. We wanted so badly to eat at a really nice restaurant before going to see Legally Blonde, and guess where we ended up eating instead?…. Yup, good ol’ Sbarros! (thanks to our late taxi!) No matter how many pizza choices they have to offer, I always end up going with the stuffed “white” pizza with spinach and broccoli.

A couple nights ago I had all the ingredients to whip up my own version and I was in hog heaven. I made it late night and ate a couple pieces all by myself. My 3 year old even shared it with me the next day for lunch. Perfect way to hide those veggies, just dredge it in a little ranch and they’ll never know!

Go buy or make yourself some whole wheat pizza dough so you don’t feel so guilty. Oh and don’t forget the part skim ricotta! No matter how many calories, work it off later. Indulge in a little food court heaven, the pizza pie!

Ricotta Stuffed Spinach and Broccoli Pizza Pie

16 oz whole wheat or white pizza dough (I pick it up at Trader Joes or Fresh and Easy)

1 Cup ricotta cheese

¼ Cup grated parmesan cheese, like Kraft

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

2 Cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped

2 Cups fresh broccoli florets, steamed until fork tender, about 3 minutes in boiling water

Pinch of salt

½ Cup Roasted red bell peppers, from can or fresh

1 ½ Cup shredded mozzarella cheese

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Spread and press one piece of dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-9 ½ inch round cake or tart pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (I used a 9 ½ inch deep quiche pan with a removable bottom that worked perfectly) In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and parmesan cheese until well combined. Spread into pressed pizza dough.

2. Place olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute spinach until wilted down, about 3 minutes. Place evenly over ricotta cheese layer. Place steamed broccoli florets over spinach and season with a pinch or two of kosher salt. Layer roasted red peppers, then mozzarella cheese over top. Press out remaining piece of dough and place over filling, tucking edges inside of pan. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.

3. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan or cutting into wedges.

8 slices

Have a good rest of your week! And fess up, what’s your favorite “Mall Food?”

Comments

Clumbsy Cookie says:

My oh my Jenny this looks delicious! What a great way to eat veggies!

Barbara Bakes says:

That whole wheat crust sounds great. Wish there was a Trader Joes nearby. My favorite mall food is Chick-fil-A.

1215656559s20768 says:

This looks totally indulgent for me. I’d like a huge slice, then a few of those chocolate oreos below. That’s all I need in life to make me happy.

Laura says:

I can’t wait to try this one. to 4:28am, I was thinking the exact same thing. I have just got to try those oreos, and I plan on taking them to a Halloween party. That should be a conversation piece. I just love this website.
    Oh yea, I love chick-fil=a too. Now I’m craving me a trip.

Aggie says:

Oh you got me here…this looks fantastic! Love love love stuffed pizzas! Everything you stuffed in there looks delicious!

Have a great weekend Jenny!

Lisa says:

Looks delcious! We are making pizza tonight. How were you able to roll such a nice thin crust?

Lucy says:

Just love the white stuffed pizza too! There’s a pizza on the menu tonight ;-)

Katherine Aucoin says:

Wow Jenny your pizza looks fantastic…I’m drooling on my keyboard!

Thanks Rita,
    I’d have these veggis any time in this pizza!

Thanks Barbara,
    I love chick fil a too. So do my boys!

numbers,
    I’d be happy with that too!

Laura,
    Thanks so much laura,
    Hope the Oreos are a huge hit at your party!

Thanks Aggie,
    Have a great weekend too!

Hi Lisa,
    Lots of pulling and letting come to room temp.

Hi Lucy,
    Enjoy your pizza night!

Thanks Katherine!

RecipeGirl says:

This looks like it will have to be dinner this weekend, or at least some good grub during the Charger’s game on Sunday! What an easy, yummy dish!

Fave mall food for me is this place called Tacone Wraps. Great, interestingly flavored wraps. I like the turkey/cranberry one w/ a side of sweet potato fries!

Kimberly says:

My fav. mall food: Strawberry Pina Coloada Hawaiian Shaved Ice with cream on top. Yum!
    This pizza looks divine!

HoneyB says:

Its only 9:44 AM here and I want to eat lunch already! This looks really delicious! Stumbled!

Steph says:

This looks fabulous Jenny! I LOVE chick-fil-a. It’s the only thing I’ll eat at the mall. My mall just put in a Taco Bell, is that crazy or what?

Allie says:

Great post for the upcoming weekend! I love spinach on pizza even though my husband thinks it’s strange. Haven’t tried the brocccoli on there, but sounds yummy. At least being fully loaded with veggies I don’t feel as guilty about eating pizza.

Sheesh Lorie, your mall food sounds terrific. Lucky!

Yum Kimberly,
    I love that hawaiian ice too.

Thanks Shelby!

Hi Steph,
    My boys and I are at chick fil a at least once a week. They opened a restaurant right by our house.

Thanks Allie!
    Yes, the veggies help the conscience!

Jen says:

YUMMY! that looks great! I love charlies cheese steaks, and the Italian panini from Frullati Cafe. Thanks again for another great recipe.

Bunny says:

Jenny you have me drooling here, seriously this looks fantastic! I love pizza, I NEED to make this!!!
    I’m printing this now!!!

Prudy says:

That looks deelish! Mall food… I honestly rarely go to the mall since I’m more of an online shopper but I used to love a soft pretzel with honey mustard.

alexandra's kitchen says:

love sbarro’s. brings back memories for me, too. I love a white pie — I always went for spinach and ricotta. cannot wait to try this. yum!

Emily says:

I remember going shopping in the “big city” as a teenager and Sbarros Pizzaria was the place to eat! We all felt so grwon up or something . . . like in the movies where teens hang out and eat pizza . . . or something. Anywho . . . your pizza looks like a sheer delight! Sounds good for breakfast too! ;)

Pam says:

Looks fantastic! I love the white sauce and adding the fresh veggies is perfect. Don’t you love TJ’s whole wheat crust…it’s so good.

carol says:

I love pizza pie too-and oh do I remember Sbarro’s….it was the place my daughter Robin and I hit every trip to the mall! I make pizza every Friday night-but it sure doesn’t look like this! Will have to look for the whole wheat pizza crust when I’m at the grocery store next week…if I can’t find it, I’ll make my own. Yes Ma’am, Ms. Jenny-I’ll be making this soon!!!!

Lindsey says:

Umm I always want one of those big cookies with the frosting on it. Soooo good. But I never get it! I love your blog by the way!

Bridgett says:

That is the healthiest looking pizza I have come across in a long time. Looks delicious! Have a good weekend, Jenny!

Deborah says:

I haven’t had a stuffed pizza in ages!! And I have to say, I’ve been seriously craving a soft pretzel from the mall – I just may have to stop on my way home today!

Chira says:

Ok, I have to say that I LOVE your yummy recipes!! I love coming to your website and trying your creative ideas!! I also had to make a rule for myself that I can only bake 2 yummy treats a month because it’s all going straight to my hips! AND the fact that you got to see Legally Blonde in NYC makes me completely jealous, I totally watched the search for the next Elle Woods on MTV–as if I had nothing better to do!!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Oh Jenny, you & I have the same taste when it comes to pizza. This is what I would order at Sbarro's. I always opt for the white sauce versions with spinach. And this looks awesome. Going on the list.

Sara says:

I love your Pizza Pie. I confess…I love Sbarro as well. It’s even better in New York!

Veronica says:

That looks so delicious! I love Sbarro’s too when I’m at the mall.

Stephanie says:

Yum! I love pizza, and I love savory pies. I never would have thought to combine the two, but it looks fantastic.

I never eat at the mall so I can’t tell you, but your pizza looks to die for! I love all of the veggies!

Meghan says:

I so seriously need to stop reading your blog at work!
    My poor boss is always mopping up my drool.
    LOL

This looks divine & I think I can get all 3 boys + the man child to eat it.

Yum.
    As for my fav mall food…now, nothing, back in the day (you know prechild) it was Cookies from the Cookie Factory.

Mary Ann says:

This really looks fabulous. I have to admit if the mall has Chik-fil-a, that is it.That is one of the main things I miss about living in Georgia-there they are everywhere! Here it is impossible to find one within an hours’ distance! This pizza is one that I have had before and I really liked it. Great job on recreating this, it looks so delicious!

Leslie says:

My favorite mall food??? It was from Taco Viva(no longer in business), it was their “Wet Taco”.
    Yum!

nicole says:

Ohhh that looks right up my alley. I love pizza. That is totally by far the best mall food.

Beth says:

I’ll have a slice please!! This looks deliciois!! Lowen would love it and not even realise all those hiding veggies!!

Great to hear from everyone. Love to hear everyone’s favorite mall food. Look like chick fil a is in the lead!

snbjork says:

Boy, oh, boy does that pizza look good right now! I really wish there was a Trader Joes here. Maybe Publix will have the whole wheat pizza dough…

I have to admit, as gross as it sounds, I love mall “chinese” food. Grease and all! The samples of bourbon chicken always pull me in….it’s a good thing I only go to the mall once a year or less!

EAT! says:

Being from Chicago, stuffed pizza is the only way to go. I usually make a large double crust pizza in a traditional thick crust pizza pan. I love that your recipe uses a 9 inch pan.

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

So funny! Sbarros TOTALLY reminds me of hangin’ out at the mall with my girlfriends in High School. Love it! That’s my favorite kind too though. Yours even looks better than theirs and I’m sure yours wasn’t sitting under heat lamps all day either. Makes me crave it right now! Although, I have to admit Sbarros is a toss up with Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels when I’m at the food court. By the way, my sister just told me that you are in her stake. I’m going to her house for Thanksgiving so would you mind if I stopped by for a sample of, umm, how about everything you make? Thanks! Small world though, huh!

The Food Librarian says:

This looks great! I certainly have had my share of mall food…Panda Express, Chick-fil-A, Sbarro come to mind! Your pizza pie looks so delicious!
    And thanks for visiting my blog. I’m excited to read about your adventures too!

Jaime says:

that looks like a great, savory pie!

hey you might be interested in this new blogging event – i saw it and thought of you b/c you are always so creative!

Jaime says:

oh and i really was just coming over to tell you about the event – i had no idea that your most recent post was about a pie! :)

Candy says:

My favorite is Chick-Fil-A. Gotta admit I had it twice this week.

Martin Family says:

JENNY,
    I am sitting here watching baseball with the husband and show him your pizza I want to make Sunday & he said, "If I ever meet her, I am going to hug her"! It was funny because the only time I cook is when I use your recipes. He is so thankful for your talent.
    P.S. I told him maybe he'll get the chance at Christmas

Mike and Jill says:

Hi
    This is my first visit to your blog and I can’t WAIT to try some of your recipes!
    I’m a Chick-Fil-A girl. Too bad I can’t get it in San Francisco!
    Jill

That Girl says:

That is my favorite Sbarro pizza!

Emiline says:

It looks great! It has lots of vegetables in it.

Well, I used to like Cinnabons at the mall, but then Cinnabon left. Sooo, I guess I like Auntie Anne’s pretzels.

Joseph and Katie Smith says:

I just jumped into your blog and I am hooked! My friend who is an amazing cook, sent me your way. Thanks for recomending the whole wheat crust version, I’m trying to eat more healthy these days (lose weight UGH!) and I was not even going to try your recipe then I read your idea. We don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby either. Oh well, we will figure the crust out. I love pizza pie and the veggies sound wonderful (not to mention great pics!) The OREO cookie, yumminess may have to enter this girls menu at some point! :) Mall food? Orange Julius and Greek Gyros. MMMMM!
    I hope you don’t mind, but I have added you to my blog list. Thanks! Katie

Dawn says:

How easy is that? God this looks so good!
    We don't really have a lot of Malls here on cape cod, but I have been to an Arby's restaurant once. Oh that was so good. That Horsey sauce, the curled french fries, beef & cheddar….I'm getting hungry here! lol