Nov
2008

Southwest Shredded Chicken 3 Bean Chili and Cornbread Muffins…

Tags: ,

Dinner

Good Monday afternoon everyone! Hope ya’ll had a great weekend! Can I have a drum roll please for the latest POM winner…… Congrats to The Dave and Tricia Folsom Family!! Email me with your home address so I can get your case of Pomegranates out to you courtesy of the POM folks. For the rest of you, now you have a list of 81 ideas to start your own recipe for a chance at $5000, good luck everyone!!

Now for my all time favorite chicken chili. I am excited to share this recipe with you all, it’s simple to prepare and tastes like it spent all day simmering on the oven. I have made this chili more times than I can remember and it’s a hit every time. Hope you all will enjoy!!

Southwest Shredded Chicken 3 Bean Chili

6 oz tomato paste

1 Tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce

1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice

2 heaping Tablespoons chili powder

1 heaping Tablespoon cumin

1 ¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and shredded chicken breast; cook for 1 minute then stir in chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, hot sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes then reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to serve.

Green Chili Cheddar Cornbread Muffins

This cornbread recipe tops any cornbread I’ve ever tried. It’s sweet and fabulous. Whenever I have to make cornbread, I hands down always go to this recipe. I got it from Shar’s Bosch Kitchen in Gilbert years ago and have been making it ever since. You’ll 100% love this cornbread recipe, Enjoy!

Green Chili Cheddar Cornbread Muffins

1 Cup butter (2 sticks)

1 Cup sugar

4 eggs

1 ½ Cups flour

1 Cup cornmeal

1 ½ Tablespoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ Cup ultra gel (optional-available at Shar’s Bosch Kitchen Store if in AZ)

1 4 oz can chopped green chilies

1 16oz can creamed corn

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until well combined. Slowly add eggs until well combined. Pour in remaining ingredients in no particular order until just combined. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish or 24 muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray. If baking in 9×13 inch dish bake for 25-30 minutes, if baking in muffin tins, bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.

Any Grey’s Anatomy fans here? I am dying to talk about the return of Denny with Izzy, is he dead or not!?? Have a great week! I’ll be back soon with some more good eatin’!

Comments

teresa says:

Hi! I’m a huge fan of your blog and this recipe looks fantastic!

I’ve been wanting to talk about Grey’s Anatomy too! I don’t understand why they killed Denny off so early because they bring him back in the show as much as they can! Is Izzie going to end up just crazy because she is seeing ghosts now? It’s going to be very interesting where it goes with him in the story again!
    Teresa
    ablogaboutfood2.blogspot.com

annes says:

uuhhhh, all the tv shows are getting so crazy. I’m wondering if it’s their way of writing Katherine Heigl out of the show, since I’m always hearing in the news that she wants out.

The Giffords says:

I don’t know what is up with Denny coming back. It is kind of creepy that she kissed him at the end of the show. I thought they were having her with Alex now.

puregredients says:

oh my, the chili looks fabulous! and one can never have too many chili recipes.

so to jump on the grey’s anatomy band wagon…i stopped watching it a 2 seasons ago (because i couldn’t handle the meredith/mcdreamy drama) but i totally have a crush on denny (he reminds me of my husband), and while i’m not involved in the plot anymore (other than what my co-workers catch me up on) i am glad he’s back if only for the eye-candy appeal! they totally should not have killed him off to begin with. and i love katherine heigl…i hope she doesn’t go :(

kristen

Mary says:

Jenny, all of this looks fantastic. Great job!

Stephanie says:

Those both look delicious. I’m a big fan of the chili and cornbread combo. It’s a classic!

Kari says:

I don’t know how they could bring him back realistically without making her crazy in the head, but I am loving having McTakeMyBreathAway back on the show for a bit!!!

Meg says:

That chili looks so tasty! Great flavor addition to the cornbread. I can’t wait to see how Grey’s turns out the rest of the season.

Millie says:

Seriously LOVE Grey’s!!! I love that Denny is back and Erika is GONE!!
    I am so excited to see what is going on though!

Anonymous says:

These sound SO YUMMY! Can’t wait to try it. I’m in Alabama, and cornbread is a staple at my house. These will be perfect. Thanks!

Deborah says:

This looks perfect for the cooler weather!

Sara says:

This looks beyond good!! Thanks for the recipe…I can’t wait to try it.

Sharon says:

Both of these are right up my alley! I’ve been searching for the right cornbread recipe. Just wondering, what’s ultra gel?

Lalycairn says:

So first the muffins. Small can creamed corn? 16 oz can? or are you talking the 8 oz size?

I used to HAVE to watch Grey’s, but I quit watching a few weeks ago. Couldn’t stand Erika – and the plot just got a little over the top for me. I really enjoyed the Denny season though, and was sad when they killed him off.

Allie says:

This is the recipe I’ve been looking for!!! THANK YOU!!!! My mouth is REALLY watering and I’m going to make them both this week. Sorry, don’t watch Greys. :)

carol says:

Since it’s a balmy (?) 20 degrees here now with no warmer weather until maybe the weekend-this sounds like a PERFECT wamr you up quick meal! I LOVE those pictures with that yummy shredded chicken…oh my I have to try this and the corn muffins soon!

Denissa says:

that looks so yummy! I’ll definitely be trying that one :)
    My family is HOOKED on the Oreo/chocolate chip cookies, I’ve made them about 3-4 times in the last few weeks. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

Cristine says:

YUM! Both look delicious, but I’ll definately have to try those cornbread muffins!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Fantastic photo! Did you get a new camera? I want to make this it looks so good!!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

What? Denny back with Lizzie??? We’re like 2 seasons behing here, so I’m a bit surprised with that! You’ll have to keep me posted. Nice chili and corn breads! So perfect for the chilli weather! ;)

Emily says:

Holy cow, does that look good! You photographed it beautifully. This is exactly what I’m craving.

I love the mini muffins too.

Culinarywannabe says:

Soup looks amazing and easy – thanks for sharing! And Denyy, OMG, I about freaked when she touched him last week!!!

Thanks for all of your comments. I’ve enjoyed the Grey’s chit chat.

Hi Marie,
    Thanks for the compliment. No new camera. I wish!! Must have been a good lighting day!

Hi Sharon,
    Ultra gel is this awesome food thickner that I usually use in soups. I’ve made this recipe without the ultra gel and it works just fine. Here’s a link on the product: http://www.carnetfoods.com/kitchen/UltraGel.html

Lalycairn,
    I used the 16 oz can of creamed corn. I too almost stopped watching the show because of Erika, couldn’t stand her. So glad they booted her!

See ya’ll soon!

Emily says:

Oh yum! I am a big fan of Southwest cuisine and this chili sounds like its darling! I have always wanted to make chicken chili! Your recipe will be making an appearance at my table soon!

Looks like a heart warming meal! I love corn bread with chili, it is a must!

Candy says:

Looks good…Grey’s is getting too weird. Starting to tick me off!

The Johnson's says:

I love this chili. I’m not a big fan of beef chili’s so this is right up my alley.

As for Grey’s. There was a huge rumor last summer that they were going to kill off Izzie with a brian tumor. I guess she wants to stop tv and do more movies. Grey’s people said this was not true. With this whole Denny thing coming back and saying he’s back for her maybe it’s not such a rumor. Who knows.

Anyways, thanks for the receipe can’t wait to try it.
    Crystal

Erin and Garrett says:

This chili and cornbread looks so yummy! Do you know how many servings it makes?

Bob says:

I’ve just been getting into beans, I’ll have to try this. And I loooove green chili corn bread. My mom used to make it when I was a kid. Now I need to make some, heh. :)

Sophie says:

Delicious photos! I can’t think of anything I’d rather eat with this tasty chili than cornbread :).

Katrina says:

Yum to the Southwest dinner! Just ate at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in NYC recently and am craving all things Southwest. The food was to die for!

Cara says:

Yum! This looks great, and I have most of the ingredients on hand already…I’ll probably be making this soup later in the week!

Christy says:

These two recipes look fabulous! I love, love cornbread, and yours is a definite must try!

Your photographs are fantastic. I love how you set up your foods to photograph.

RecipeGirl says:

Looks wonderful. I can’t wait for cooler weather so I can make chili and soup and all of their fixings. Love that sort of food.

Grey’s is driving me nuts. Of course he’s dead. The story line is just too strange. That show isn’t nearly as good as it used to be. Now Desperate Housewives… that one is good this year!

Aggie says:

Wow, what great recipes Jenny! That chili looks fantastic and I would looove those little muffins!!

The return of Denny is bizarre isn’t it??

Leslie says:

Leave out the kidney beans..and I am allllll over this chili!!!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Cnicken chili and cornbread, can it get much better? Everything looks wonderful Jenny!

That Girl says:

I LOVE chili and this one looks so good!

The Inexperienced Foodie says:

now that looks good for a chili Arizona night..

CookiePie says:

Wow – that looks like one hearty and delicious meal!!!

Sara says:

Both of these recipes look absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try your Chili. Great post!

Brindi says:

The cornbread muffins look good. Do you use the gel often? Do you find that it makes a big difference?

I had stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy after Denny died. I may have to start watching again.

Bunny says:

I love both these recipes Jenny, the chicken chili is a natural with the cornbread, and speaking of the cornbread I love it!!

Zesty Cook says:

Hi Jenny! Great recipe and post. I love the southwest cuisine and your pictures look fabulous.

zesty

Patsyk says:

Your chili and the corn muffins both look great and like something we would enjoy.

As for the return of Denny… I don’t get it! I read somewhere today that they might be giving Izzy a brain tumor or something and that seeing people, etc. might be a symptom… not sure how true that is though!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

I have been looking for a great cornbread recipe…thanks!

Rebekah says:

Love the recipes!! I gave you an award!

Megan says:

oh my, these remind me of a jalapeno cheddar cornbread i had at a restaurant a few months ago. it was so good we tried to get our waitress to hint at the recipe but she wouldn’t budge :) i bet these will be just like them. thanks so much!

HoneyB says:

Congrats to the winner!!

Your chili and cornbread are mouth watering….even at 4 AM!

Kim says:

Cornbread muffins and chili, can’t think of a better fall meal. So good!Grey’s Anatomy, it has lost me the last couple of shows, not sure why?