This easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe goes perfect with your favorite chili and soup recipes. It’s moist, sweet, a little savory, and packed with cheese and green chilies. Even better….top with a pad of butter when it’s still hot.
Table of Contents
Homemade Mexican Cornbread Recipe
Homemade cornbread is so simple to prepare which is why I love it so much! My Mexican cornbread recipe is great by itself and even better with your favorite bowl of chili. You won’t want to miss this one!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This cornbread makes a perfect side for Holidays, soup night, chili night and so much more!
- It’s not only delicious, it’s easy to make.
- You get a soft, moist cornbread that everyone loves!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients to make this cornbread recipe at home. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full details and instructions.
- salted butter– I generally use salted butter in my cooking and baking. Unsalted works just fine as well.
- granulated sugar– granulated sugar is a fine sugar that brings the sweetness to your recipes
- large eggs– You’ll find a variety of sizes of eggs when shopping. I generally use large eggs for all of my baking for consistency.
- all-purpose flour– Flour is part of the dry ingredients of the recipe that can be found in the baking section of your grocery store.
- cornmeal– Cornmeal is ground dried corn that gives the texture and corn flavor of the cornbread.
- baking powder– baking powder is part of the dry ingredients that aids in baking the cornbread. Find it in the baking section of your grocery store.
- kosher salt– A more coarse salt, I prefer it when cooking and baking.
- can of chopped green chilies– The green chilies give a nice flavor to the cornbread. Find it in the canned vegetable section or Hispanic Foods section of your grocery store.
- can of creamed corn– Part of the wet ingredients that help keep the cornbread moist and soft. Find creamed corn in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store.
- shredded cheddar cheese– Shredded cheese is great in cornbread. I like to use cheddar, but other varieties work too. Pepperjack, and Mexican Blend is great.
- fresh cilantro– Find fresh cilantro in the produce section of your grocery store. Cilantro is fresh and brings a nice flavor to the cornbread.
How To Make Mexican Cornbread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream Butter and Sugars. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer until well combined.
Add Remaining Ingredients. Slowly add eggs until well combined. Pour in remaining ingredients in no particular order, stir until just combined.
Transfer Batter To Baking Dish. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean from center. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired. Cut into squares and serve warm or room temperature.
Garnish the top of your cornbread with chopped fresh cilantro if you like! I love the fresh flavor it brings, plus it looks great too!
What Is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is made of ground yellow corn ranging in texture from fine to coarse grounds.
How Long Do You Bake Cornbread?
All recipes will be a little different, but my recipe bakes for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from center.
One thing you want to look for in a cornbread recipe is, it should be soft, sweet and perfectly moist. Trust me when I tell you, this one is all of those things. Enjoy!
How Do You Serve Mexican Cornbread?
Cornbread can be served by itself with a little pad of butter on top. It’s fantastic!
A popular way to serve cornbread is along side chili. Chili and cornbread are the perfect pair. I like to put a small square of cornbread into a bowl and top with chili. It’s really good served this way.
How To Store Leftovers
Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Enjoy Cornbread With These Recipes
Sweet Mexican Cornbread Recipe
- 2 sticks butter salted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 oz can chopped green chilies
- 16 oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer until well combined. Slowly add eggs until well combined. Pour in remaining ingredients in no particular order, stir until just combined. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean from center. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired. Cut into squares and serve warm or room temperature.