What is a Walking Taco? Brace Yourself: A Walking Taco is a Frito bag filled with flavorful chili and toppings! Tacos in a bag are perfect for any party and let’s face it, just so fun to eat. You have to try this easy Walking Taco recipe!
Table of Contents
You are in for the perfect Game Day recipe with this easy Walking Taco recipe! Whether it’s for Super Bowl Sunday, or you’re feeding a crowd, walking tacos are the perfect party food.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These tacos are great for entertaining for about any occasion!
- We love making this recipe for Super Bowl and other fun game day occasions.
- The taco/chili makes delicious leftovers!
What Is a Walking Taco?
A walking taco is simply your favorite taco ingredients in a chip bag such as Fritos or Doritos. It’s such a brilliant way to enjoy tacos, especially when you’re entertaining a room full of guests. Such a fun party food!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make walking tacos at home. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- extra virgin olive oil– You’ll use the olive oil to saute the vegetables.
- onion– Finely chop the onion before sauteing.
- bell pepper– Bell pepper can be optional, if using finely chop.
- garlic– Mince garlic before adding to hot skillet.
- ground beef– Use 80% lean or higher ground beef.
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a coarse salt commonly used for cooking and baking.
- freshly cracked black pepper– For best tasting results use fresh cracked black pepper.
- diced tomatoes– I like to use Rotel, mild version.
- prepared salsa– Use your favorite mild salsa.
- tomato paste- Tomato paste thickens and adds flavor.
- pinto beans– Drain and rinse the beans before adding to the meat mixture.
- black beans– Rinse all beans before adding to meat mixture.
- kidney beans– Drain kidney beans and rinse before adding to meat.
- black olives– Black olives can be optional.
- chili powder– Chili powder adds that nice chili spice to the meat.
- cumin– Ground cumin adds a touch of smoky flavor to the meat.
- hot sauce– Cholula works great here.
- lime juice– Fresh lime juice adds a touch of freshness.
- cilantro– Fresh chopped cilantro is a great garnish on top of the walking tacos.
- bags of Fritos– I ordered a large bag of snack size Fritos on Amazon.
- shredded cheese– Shredded mild cheese works great.
- sour cream– Use full-fat sour cream.
- jalapeno– Sliced jalapeno can be optional, but also delicious on top of the walking tacos.
How to Make Tacos in a Bag
Saute Onions, Peppers and Garlic. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and peppers for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Cook and Brown The Beef. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until browned. Drain if needed. I usually don’t need to for the lean beef.
Continue Adding Chili Ingredients. Pour in tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste then stir to combine. Add 1 Cup warm water to thin out slightly then add in beans, olives, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. I start with just a pinch of salt then keep tasting until it’s to my liking. Add chopped cilantro and reduce heat to low to simmer until ready to serve.
Spoon Chili into Frito Bags. Open bags of fritos. Spoon in chili, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. Stick a fork in it and eat!!
Can I Use Different Chips For Walking Tacos?
Yes, try Doritos, the Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch varieties work great.
How to Assemble Your Walking Tacos
Assembling a walking taco is easy! Follow these step-by-step photos showing you how to make the best walking tacos ever.
Add shredded cheese, jalapenos, or green onions if you can’t take the heat 🙂
Here you have it, your perfect little bag of “Walking Tacos!”
How To Serve
Serve these convenient bags of tacos for your next party or game day get together. There’s minimal mess to clean up and your guests love them!
How To Store Leftovers
Store any chili and topping leftovers in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat chili in a heat proof bowl, loosely covered for 60-90 seconds in the microwave until hot.
Tips For Making the Best Walking Tacos
- You can also use snack size bags of Doritos instead of Fritos if you’d like.
- Cut the tops off of your bags of Fritos before your guests arrive so it’s easy to fill them with your homemade chili.
Try More Taco Recipes
How To Make A Walking Taco
- Dutch Oven
- chef knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoon
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6-8 little sweet peppers or 1 green and 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup Herdez Salsa or your favorite salsa
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 Cup warm water
- 3 cans of beans drained (I used black, pinto and red kidney)
- 1 can black olives sliced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce Tabasco
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch of Kosher salt fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley (to taste)
- 1/2 Cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Bags of Fritos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped Jalapenos or green onions
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and peppers for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook until browned. Drain if needed. I usually don’t need to for the lean beef. Pour in tomatoes, salsa, tomato paste then stir to combine. Add 1 Cup warm water to thin out slightly then add in beans, olives, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. I start with just a pinch of salt then keep tasting until it’s to my liking. Add chopped cilantro and reduce heat to low to simmer until ready to serve.
- Open bags of fritos. Spoon in chili, cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. Stick a fork in it and eat!!