Nov
2008

Buttery Crisp Cherry and Chocolate Chip Cookies…

Cookies

Good Monday morning! Hope everyone had a nice weekend. One pilates exam down, one more to go Tuesday afternoon! Wish me luck.

I’ve never read the Twilight books, but talked my hubby into taking me to see the movie Saturday night (thanks for babysitting Reed!). I did things backwards with seeing the movie first, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would. People in our theater were hilarious. As soon as Edward was on screen the cat calls were all over the place. I was cracking up at the crazy fans. Once I get to CA I’ll have to dive into the series. I feel like I’m the last one out there who hasn’t read them. What did you all think of the movie who read the books first? I’ve heard some mixed reviews.

Now onto the cookies! I’ve had this fabulous little cookie on file for a while now just waiting to post it. Talk about a great combination. I hope you all can find these cherry chips. I got mine at the Super Walmart by my house, (no more Super Walmart for me once I get to CA, what will I do?!) I think these chips come out around the holidays, but do check for them, you’ll love this recipe. These would be great on those holiday plates too (more coming soon). Buttery and just slightly crisp around the edges, Enjoy!

Buttery Crisp Cherry and Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks melted butter

1 Cup sugar

¾ Cup brown sugar

1 large egg

1 large egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 ½ Cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

1 Cup cherry chips

1 Cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, beat melted butter and sugars until well combined. Slowly beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Place dry ingredients into a large bowl; stir to combine then add slowly to wet ingredients along with the chips. With a cookie scoop, scoop cookies onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges just start to brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

about 36 cookies

Have a great Thanksgiving Everyone! This is the best time of year. I’ll see you soon with more great cookies and a killer soup from my father-in-law!

Comments

Laurel says:

These look awesome! I love baking cookies that begin with melted butter – I always seem to forget to soften my butter and have to wait that much longer!!!

Love your site, always… You too have a great Thanksgiving!

Culinarywannabe says:

I’ve never seen these cherry chips before. I will have to look for them – they make the cookies so pretty!

Rebekah says:

I haven’t found the cherry chips, but our store had raspberry chips. Yummy!!!!

The books were so good, I can’t wait for you to read them. The movie was good (I’m going back to see it again this weekend-I was at the midnight show) but they left a bunch of stuff out. I hope you enjoy the books as much as I did!

Meg says:

So glad one exam is over. Good luck on the next.

These cookies are fabulous! I didn’t know cherry chips existed!

The Curtis Family says:

Yummy cookies, as always. Book club is doing an exchange this month, so just maybe…

Twilight. I didn’t have high expectations, so I actually enjoyed the movie and it left me excited for the next one to come out. Too much teenage angst, not enough of the fun relationship that develops in the book. But I’ve heard it’s better the second (or third or fourth) time you see it :). I spared Jarad this weekend and we saw some shoot-em-up movie Saturday night instead.

andij1967 says:

Yummy cookies!! I’ll be checking out the store today to see if I can find the cherry chips!

You’re not the only one who hasn’t read the books… I haven’t either! Well, I honestly tried to read the first one, but got about halfway through and just could not stand to read another word. They are really written to the teenage reader, so it was a little pedestrian for my taste. And honestly, I’m 41 years old… why do I want to read about a teenage love affair, vampires aside. It bored me to tears! LOL I would say that if you enjoyed the movie, leave it at that ;-)

Cathy says:

Chocolate and cherry chips in a cookie. Sounds delicious. I don’t think I’ve seen cherry chips before. Hopefully I just overlooked them.

Miss Theresa says:

I haven’t read the Twilight series either. However, my 18 yr old daughter just pick them up so maybe after she’s done with them I’ll pick them up.

Can’t find cherry chips here in CA, I’ll just use dried cherries instead.

I don’t know where in CA you’re moving to…but we do have Super Walmart’s here in Northern CA.

Sara says:

Cherry chips?! What a great idea. These cookies look delish. I made your Southwest Chicken chili last night and my family loved it. Thanks for the great recipe.

P.S. You’ll love the Twilight books. I’ve read them all and they are great.

Lisa says:

I’m from So Cal and we certainly have Super WalMart so not to worry.

Judy says:

You can order cherry chips and other flavored chips from King Arthur.

That Girl says:

Personally, I liked the movie waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the book. Like andij I had the worst time trying to read the book. I was angry all the time. I hated it. I had friends (and Thatboy) telling me not to read the other books because they would just get me more riled up. But Thatboy loved the book, so I agreed to go to the movie this weekend. Luckily, all the character traits about Bella that made me wish her dead on every page of the book were removed from the movie. It was so much better.

Emily says:

Ooooo Jenny your cookies look wonderful! So buttery and chocolaty! Definite winners!!!

We went and saw Twilight too, the book is better butthey did an alright job on the movie. They left out some really good stuff though! Read the books . . . you will feel like a teenager all over again!

Bob says:

Those cookies look awesome, but I’ve never seen cherry chips before. Which is a bummer.

I’ve neither read nor seen Twilight. As much as I enjoy vampire stuff, it doesn’t seem like my kind of thing. I’ve gathered there is more than a little… angst. Heh.

carol says:

Here’s another person that hasn’t read the “Twilight” books…all I seem to be reading lately are cookbooks!
    I didn’t notice the cherry chips at our local super Wal-Mart…will have to check the next time I’m there…these cookies look amazing!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Jenny….

Lisa says:

You always find the best ingredients. No super walmart here. Have a great Thanksgiving and good luck on your move!

Cristine says:

Oooh… cherry chips! Sounds yummy!

I loved the Twilight books! The movie hasn’t come out here yet, but I can’t wait to see it!

Kameron says:

I LOVE chocolate-covered cherries, so I think these will be right up my alley! Now I’ll just have to track down the cherry chips…

Allie says:

Cherry chips! Ah man back to the store for me. I need to check your blog while I’m there to make sure I’m not missing anything else. lol

alexandra's kitchen says:

Buttery and crisp around the edges sounds heavenly. I have not read/seen the Twilight books/movies but am now intrigued. Happy Thanksgiving!

NatNibbles says:

Those look delicious! I love the combo of cherry and chocolate.

Prudy says:

Jenny-just catching up on your posts. Good luck on your big move! I know you’ll love CA. Thank goodness you’ll still be close enough to visit your sister and parents, but if you’re in CA everyone ought to come and visit you! Best of luck with your move,Primary, pilates exams, holiday and whatever else you’ve got on your plate at this time.

Emily says:

You make the best cookies!

I just read about your move. That’ll be so much fun! I’m so jealous.

Have you seen the commercials that have been airing lately? :D

Stephanie says:

I got a couple bags of cherry chips once, and I loved finding ways to use them! They really are yummy. Those cookies look so delicious.

Linnae says:

Jenny, I can’t believe you are going to CALIFORNIA… watch out down there…

If you enjoyed the movie, you will LOVE LOVE LOVE the books! Just something about a book that you can’t capture in a movie…Just be ware that if you start reading, you WON’T want to put the books down. They are seriously that good!

Good luck with your move to CA

Janssen says:

I’m an adult, but I love love love Twilight. I’m a little embarrassed to admit it, since they are, truthfully, not the best of writing, but they are an engrossing story.

And I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I had low expectations, but it was much better than I expected.

Patti says:

I started to read the books after the last one came out so I was able to read through the whole series very quickly. My daughter loved the books, hated the movie. My sister loved the books, liked the movie.
    Do the cherry chips act the same as chocolate chips do in a cookie or do they stay very firm, not melting much?

Tanya Moyer says:

Love your blog, but don’t often comment. I live in the Greater LA area and most of our Wal-Marts were updated to SuperWalMarts, so I’m pretty sure in Orange County you’ll be able to find a SuperWalMart! I’m going to look for those chips!

Kaitlin says:

Oooo those look good!!!

Sharon says:

I’ll have to look for those chips. They sound yummy!

I just started reading Twilight…I’m a little eh on it right now, but just started. I can’t believe there’s someone besides me who hasn’t read them!

jk says:

You may not have Super Walmart in California but you will find Cinnamon Chips at Albertsons.

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Good luck with the exam! You’ll do great I know! Nice cookie, the cherry chips sound awesome!

Anne says:

Those look great Jenny! I’m glad you enjoyed the movie. The books were fun and I’m excited to see it.

Mary says:

These look really good, Jenny. Have a wonderfuk holiday.

Colleen says:

Oooh i have never heard of cherry chips but they certainly look tasty! I will keep my eye out for them – these look great!

Theresa Cloyd says:

These look good, and I guess I’m like the majority here who have never seen the cherry chips in my local wal-mart before. As for the Twilight books/movie I read the book and saw the movie. I LOVED the books but the movie was ok. I didn’t go in with high expectations so I wasn’t really dissapointed. I thought the girl who portrayed Bella in the movie was more annoying on screen than in the books. It’s just one of those things it seem like you either really like it or you really don’t.

Tasty Trends says:

i have never heard of cherry chips! you seem to find the most random type of chips out there! it amazes me!

Patsyk says:

I haven’t read the Twilight series either… you aren’t the last one! LOL!

Ok, I finally snagged some cinnamon chips from my mom in Kansas City… now, I need to find cherry chips! Great cookies… I do hope I can locate those chips!

CookiePie says:

Lovely cookies! I love chocolate and cherry together :)

I did read the books, and thought the movie was better than I expected it to be, but not all that great. Plus, what was up with his makeup???

Good luck on your exams, and have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

Lauren says:

Those cookies sound so delicious!

I am seriously thr biggest Twilight fan ever. You MUST read them. You will love Edward.

HoneyB says:

These sound yummy! I haven’t seen the cherry chips yet. I hope we get them! I always check the chip aisle when in Super Walmart (was there today!).

I hope your family has a great thanksgiving :)

Dawn says:

Oh looks like I’m last here to post. But Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
    Congrats on one exam down. Is that hard to pass? I know I “still” do the beginners level pilates ha ha
    Tempting cookies…so much food this week.

Mandy says:

Jenny, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoy the day with your family. Best wishes.:)
    -Mandy

Aggie says:

I just got into the Twilight series, am finishing up the second book right now. Can’t wait to see the movie!

Your cookies look great! Hope you and the family had a great Thanksgiving!

Matin says:

Look fantastic:-)X M

Jen says:

These look SOOO yummy!! They are on my cookie list to make!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kim says:

They look so good, and I am the only one in the family that likes cherries! Which means I would have to eat them all by myself if I made them. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving Holiday.