Apr
2009

Me Oh My Garlic Toasted Spaghetti Pie!

Tags: ,

Dinner

Yipee, it’s Friday! Thanks to those of you who gave me advice on my technical problem yesterday, looks like I am up and running again!

We’ve got all kinds of Easter festivities at the school this morning, including a crazy raw egg drop from the school’s roof, so I will make this short and sweet…

These photos don’t do this recipe justice, trust me that this is a great weeknight dinner that the whole family loves! The boys were heckling me during the photo shoot, hence the crappy pictures….they were hungry!

It’s garlic bread and spaghetti all in one pretty little pie that is so much fun to eat. Break out your springform pans and jazz up garlic toast and spaghetti! Be sure to try the new Tree Top Trim with your dinner. It’s a great new juice that has 50% less sugar, only 60 calories per serving and is available at local Albertsons. We loved it!

Garlic Toasted Spaghetti Pie

1 lb spaghetti noodles

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
26 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
10 fresh basil leaves stacked, rolled and thinly sliced (chiffonade)
1/4 Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 Cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4-1/2 teaspoons Lawry’s garlic salt
1 roll Pillsbury French Bread Loaf

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.

2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes then add beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt to brown, about 7-9 minutes. Reduce heat to low then stir in sauce, basil leaves and cooked pasta.

3. Open French Bread and unroll it to rectangle. With a knife cut it in 2 equal parts. Take one piece and press into the bottom of a well greased springform pan pressing up the sides slightly. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from oven. Transfer approximately 3/4 of the spaghetti into the pan (or fill about 3/4 way to the top of pan) (save leftover spaghetti for later). Sprinkle top with parmesan and cheddar cheese. Take remaining piece of dough and place it over top of spaghetti trying to cover entire surface. Brush olive oil over top of dough then sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bread is just golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

_____________________________
Have a great weeked! See you soon with something tasty!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

I checked out the Tree Top Trim and it looks great! I’ll have to give that and this recipe a try!

Meghan says:

This looks so good! Spaghetti AND garlic bread in one dish – I’m in! Never heard of the Tree Top Trim before. I will have to look in our grocery store. We love juice but not all the sugar!

Christy says:

This looks delicious and one my kids would certainly appreciate! Thanks for another winner!

Cristine says:

How cool! I’ll have to give this one a try!

carol says:

What a wonderful looking pie…spaghetti and garlic bread in one? Jenny, you’re a genius!
    Doggone it…we don’t have an Albertson’s around here….but I will keep my eye out for Tree Top Trim juice in the local grocery stores. It sounds really good, and I know my daughter would be interested in it too.

Teri @ Make A Whisk says:

I’ve never tried a Spaghetti Pie, but this looks pretty tasty.

Sara says:

This looks great! What a nice twist on traditional spaghetti pie. Yum.

Looks good. I will have to try a veggie version!

Becca says:

Wow, this looks SO delish! I want to eat it right this second. I’m definitely adding this to our menu for next week, can’t wait to try it!

RecipeGirl says:

Perfect, family-friendly meal! Love it!!

Dawn says:

love when you make these types of easy but VERY tasty dishes. I am printing this one.

Aggie says:

Oh that looks fantastic!! Wow!

oneordinaryday says:

This looks great! Thanks for a tasty way to jazz up dinner.
    Michelle

Helene says:

What a different way to serve pasta. Looks delicious.

Live.Love.Eat says:

This looks delish and so unique. Sorry I haven’t been around as much but I am catching up and don’t want to miss one post from you so on I go……

Laura P. says:

my mom has a great spaghetti pie recipe…that’s a great idea to have it inbetween garlicky bread stuff (techincal term ; )…yum!

Bob says:

Man, I need to get a springform pan. That looks wicked good!

Anj says:

My goodness, that looks so good. What a great combination. I will definitely be trying this.

katskitchen says:

This dish reminds me a little of my spaghetti pie. I like the garlic bread addition though.

teresa says:

Oh this looks delicious! I’m always so impressed with your recipes!

Sharon says:

What a neat looking dish! I get heckled by my “big” boy all the time, I can’t imagine what it’s like to make actual kids wait :)

Katie's blog says:

Looks great!!!

LilSis says:

Me oh My is right! My 15 year old son would love this recipe. I’ll have to surprise him with it one day.

Ha! I can relate to the heckling. I’ve been trying to take photos before with everyone hovering over me with a plate and fork in hand!

Your photos still turned out good! Thanks!

GypsyMommy says:

This looks great! I’ll have to try it for my spaghetti loving family!

Elyse says:

Hope the egg drop went well. Don’t you worry about the pictures. This spaghetti pie looks FABULOUS to me. I love the idea of a spaghetti pie. How delicious! I’m totally going to try this.

Noor says:

Now this is something my family would love. Looks great yum..

The Food Librarian says:

Looks fantastic! I love spaghetti pie!

Rosa says:

Mmmmm, this looks delightful!

Kim A says:

WOW and YUM! Can’t wait to see you in about 1 hour!!! Your guest quarters are all ready for you!

Katherine Aucoin says:

I can’t wait for my oven to be fixed so I can make this. This is incredible Jenny!

Millie says:

That looks really good!

Jennifer says:

I made this Sunday night and it was very tasty but I had a lot of leftover spaghetti and ground beef that couldn’t fit into the “pie”.

Kevin says:

I have been wanting to try a spaghetti pie. It looks really good!

Jackie Legg says:

Which size of springform pan did you use?

Hi Jackie
    I used a 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Enjoy!

Jackie Legg says:

Thanks, Jenny. It looks delicious; I’m making it for my fam tonight.

Andy says:

Reminds me of one of my favorite, quick recipes for leftover pasta. Add some egg, flour, and milk to turn the sauce into a batter and fry them up like pancakes.

Works especially well with fettuccine in Mornay (white sauce with cheese) and toasted garlic.

Cee Tindall says:

What a great idea. Looks fun to eat and so different. Definitely going to try this!

JennyMac says:

OMG….I am sooooooooo making this tomorrow….I got my dough and ground beef thawing as I write. Thanks Jenny…..killah recipe!

Julie says:

When I saw this on your blog I just knew I had the make this for my family….well today was the day. Rave reviews. All thumbs up. I even used the Mezzetta creamy marina sauce instead of my usual Prego Fresh Mushroom. What a tasty sauce. What a unique way of making it in a spring form pan as opposed to the traditional pie plate. It was sheik cooking at its best. Thank you for sharing your cooking talents with us.

My boys LOVE spaghetti or basgetti as my 8 y/o son calls it. HaHa!!

I am trying this recipe tonight and can’t wait to see what they think!!

Thank you again Jenny for all of your inspirations!

Kelley Williams says:

Tried the pie this weekend, as I have a picky cousin that stayed with us, but knew she liked spaghetti. It was a hit, not only with her, but my even pickier children. My own thoughts were that it was delicious as well. However, may have used too big of a springform pan because I could not seem to roll the dough thin enough to completely cover top or bottom. Also, there was no leftover spaghetti after filling 3/4 of the pan. So, maybe a springform pan smaller than a 10″. I’m not sure, but will definately make repeatedly. Thanks

Lynne says:

I had high hopes for this. The Pillsbury French Bread Loaf I bought DID NOT unroll into a rectangle. My daughter and I worked so hard trying to find a seam. I finally got out my rolling pin. No help there, the dough just shrank back to a small ball. No way could I get it to stretch out onto the bottom of the pan, didn’t even try on the top. We gave up and ate the spaghetti the regular way. The dough was so mangled I just tossed it. What could I have done differently???????

Suzanne says:

I made this for dinner last night. I was so pleased that it turned out just like the picture and just as I expected. It was delicious and a fun way to serve spaghetti. Thanks for the fun and yummy recipe!

Liz says:

Sounds so yummy. Thanks and have a great day!