Apr
2009

Chicken Sausage, Broccoli and Parmesan Brown Rice Dinner

Tags: ,

Dinner

Phew, with all of the family we’ve had visiting over the last month, I’ve felt like I’ve been on vacation too. It’s nice to get back into the swing of things around here. This rice dinner was a huge hit with my guys. It is such a breeze to make on those busy weeknights after the kids get out of school. My boys had a fit over the tiny red bell peppers for a second or two, but after one bite they ate this rather healthy meal with a smile on their faces!

I LOVE Trader Joe’s frozen brown rice that you can microwave in 3 minutes. It is so handy, but you can obviously cook up your own brown rice too. Add any of your favorite veggi’s to this dish that your family loves. Hope you all enjoy this colorful and tasty rice dinner!

Chicken Sausage, Broccoli and Parmesan Brown Rice Dinner

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb cheese filled chicken sausages, thinly sliced
4 Cups broccoli florets, steamed until fork tender
4 Cups cooked brown rice (I get mine at Trader Joes, microwave for 3 minutes and done!)
1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minutes then add chicken slices. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on both sides. Add broccoli, rice and parmesan cheese. Cook for 2 minutes or so, then season with salt and pepper to your liking. Serve and enjoy!

6 servings

_____________________________________
Beach Fun with Sis and Fam
My cute stylish sister and I lounging beachside, being geeky as usual. We were at the beach every day they were here in CA, it was great. I miss you cutie, come back soon!

The guys and kids building in the sand. Always fun times at Newport Beach!

See you soon with a sweet treat, have a great week!

Comments

Sara says:

Yum, this looks great and SO easy! I’ve never tried chicken sausage but I’ve seen it in the store, I’ll have to try it.

Carrian says:

That’s perfect for tonight! It’s been a long day, so I need something easy, but yummy!

Betty and Boo's Mommy says:

Yes, that Trader Joe’s brown rice is THE BEST. Thanks for reminding me I need to get some soon … most likely to make this dish! Looks like you had a great time at the beach, too.

Elyse says:

Mmm, this meal looks totally delicious! I love chicken sausage, and I’m always looking for quick, easy, and delicious weeknight dinners!

Bunny says:

I have everything to make this! I’m making it tomorrow night!

the ungourmet says:

This looks easy and healthy! What great ingredients! I really like using chicken sausages! I haven’t tried TJs frozen rice, I will have to look for it the next time I shop!

Jaime and Jen DISH says:

Looks great girly!! Glad you had fun with your family!

Jenifer

Kristen says:

I’ve never seen cheese filled chicken sausage before, I’ll have to an eye out for that one, looks good!

Patsyk says:

Looks like such a healthy meal, and delicious too! Glad you’ve had family visiting, that’s always a fun time!

Meg says:

Delicious! Love the beach pics!

Coleen's Recipes says:

I’ve never cooked chicken sausage, do you use any particular brand?

LilSis says:

Awesome combination! I add Trader Joes chicken sausage to their frozen Penne Arrabbiata for a great quick meal, but haven’t ever tried it mixed with the brown rice. I’m going to try this soon. Thanks!

Funny, I just had my sister and mom visit me here in CA last week, also! Looks like you had a great time.

Bob says:

That looks wicked good. I do something similar sometimes, usually with whatever I have that needs to be used. Heh.

carol says:

I always have a package or 2 of chicken sausage in the freezer…what a great quick meal this is….definitely gonna be trying this for sure.

Lynne says:

This looks so yummy! My picky little girls love broccoli and brown rice, so I think this will be a winner! I’ve never seen those sausages, but will look around. We don’t have a Trader Joes in AL. Boohoo! Thanks for a yummy new recipe to try.

Michele says:

I’m so glad you posted this! I recently bought TJ’s frozen brown rice. I made one dish with it (lemon chicken with crazy brown rice) that I posted on my blog a few weeks ago. Now I have something for the other package! Thanks! This looks great!

Lynda says:

This looks like a delicious and quick meal that woul be perfect for dinner one night this week!Yum!

Steph says:

I am so jealous! I wish I had a beach nearby, I would be there everyday too! This dish looks super tasty, I must give it a try!!!

Nutritious is Delicious says:

Wow! This is definitely going on my “to-make” list!! :D Looks like a good time at the beach!!….then again, when isn’t it?! ;)

Jamie says:

This dinner looks so amazing! I will have to try it soon!

cindy* says:

this looks fantastic for a weeknight…yum!

MJ says:

mmm looks so good!

Good information in your post, I watched a report on tv the other day about this same thing and since I am getting married a few weeks from now and the timing couldn’t have been better! thanks for the ideas!, I have bookmarked, thanks Ebonie Pasanen

Laundry Bags says:

This recipe looks great :) Thanks for sharing!

[...] slightly adapted from Picky Palate [...]