Dec
2009

Broccoli Cheddar, Chicken and Tater Tot Casserole…

Tags: , ,

Dinner

IMG_4778picnik.jpeg

Good Tuesday friends!  What a whirlwind the last week or so has been.  We’ve been traveling back and forth to AZ for Thanksgiving and just got back a couple days ago.  Had the best time being with our family.  Now Christmas is in full swing! Managed to get the house decorated yesterday, feels nice and festive :)

I don’t know about you guys, but getting dinner on the table these days is rough with everything else going on.  Shopping, wrapping, decorating, school parties and shows, the list goes on and on!  Here is a quick and easy dinner you can get on the table with minimal preparation.  The kids love this one too!  Check it out…

IMG_4726picnik.jpeg

IMG_4734picnik.jpeg

IMG_4739picnik.jpeg

IMG_4769picnik.jpeg

IMG_4774picnik.jpeg

Broccoli Cheddar, Chicken and Tater Tot Casserole

2 small cans cream of chicken soup

2 small cans cheddar cheese soup

1 1/2 Cups milk

8-10 Cups broccoli florets

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (bake or I throw mine in the pressure cooker)

1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco or Chalula)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1/8 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley

1/2 bag Ore Ida Seasoned Tater Tots, frozen

1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place soup and milk into a large pot over medium heat.  Whisk until smooth and heated through, about 5 minutes.  Stir in broccoli and cook for 5 additional minutes to soften slightly.  Stir in chicken, hot sauce, salt, pepper and garlic seasoning.  Pour mixture into 11×7 inch baking dish that’s been sprayed with cooking spray.  Top evenly with tater tots and cheese; bake for 20 minutes then cover with foil. Bake for an additional 15 minutes with dish covered with foil.  Remove from oven and serve.  I enjoy mine with hot sauce, yum!

6 servings

______________________________________

IMG_4760picnik.jpeg

Had so much fun decorating for Christmas yesterday with the family.  My youngest would NOT sit still for a picture, but I managed to snap a shot of my oldest cutie pie by the tree.  Love the santa hats by picnik.com!  Can hardly believe Christmas is coming so fast!

__________________________________________

You MUST make one of these for your family!  Check out ours for a good laugh!

Send your own ElfYourself eCards

__________________________________

Christmas Goodies Coming Soon!! I extended the Santa Letter Giveaway until Wednesday, check it out HERE.

Comments

I love the tater tots on top! I loved them growing up so I’m sure kids will LOVE it.

Molly says:

Hahahah! This video cracked me up! Too cute. Casserole looks warm and comforting. Perfect for this time of year. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe, looks delicious! And I love the holiday video, too cute!

Risa says:

This looks delicious! I must try this, thank you :-)

Bob says:

Glad you had a good holiday! That casserole looks sublime, all that cheese. Mmmm.

Krystle says:

This looks delicious and I love quick things you can throw in the oven during a busy holiday season!

Sara says:

Mmmm, I heart tater tots and I don’t think they are used enough in recipes! :) This looks very yummy. Glad you had fun in AZ with your family.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Growing up in the mid-west tater tot casserole was a staple. Living in NY people think I’m weird if I just mention the word casserole. Personally I think people do not know what they are missing by not eating casseroles. This one looks great and I love the addition of broccoli…sorta makes it healthy :)

Sarah P. says:

Really 8-10 cups of broccoli? I make a pretty awesome Stomboli with the same ingredients…except the tater tots.

Meesh says:

Sounds yummy!! I bet I can get my kids to try this one!

Meesh says:

Was just thinking – this would be a pretty easy one to cut n half & throw into an 8×8, too! I think I’ll go that route & try it out tonight!

I love the elf cards. They’re so fun!!

Tater tots remind me of when I was in school…they are so good. Great idea for a recipe!

Susan says:

This looks awesome! We’re having it tonight. Thanks for another great recipe!

patsy says:

Quick and easy meals like this are perfect this time of year! Great idea, Jenny!

~ calista ~ says:

Oh, I’m going to have to make that! I adore tater tots and so does my son.

Very cute video!

val says:

Has anyone tried freezing this? I worry that the tater tots will get soggy but I live alone and no way I can eat all this in one (or two or three) sittings?

maggie says:

This looks so delicious! I LOVE tater tots…and pretty much anything classified as “kid food” for that matter. Thanks for the recipe!

Stephanie says:

That casserole sounds so yummy! I’ve had several chicken, broccoli, and cheese casseroles – but never topped with tater tots! Great idea!

TIffany says:

It’s Dinnertime!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

Love the Elf card… TOO fun!

Meesh says:

Well – just made/served/ate this for dinner. It was really, really salty! Did I do something wrong? Is cheese soup pretty salty? I’ve never cooked with it before so maybe that was it. I seasoned my chicken before cooking it – maybe if the soup was salty I should have left the chicken bland. Not sure. Your pictures look fantastic & scrumptious, though!! LOL

Krista says:

I’m a big fan of the tater tot casserole. I’ll have to try this version…it’s a little healthier than mine with the broccoli and chicken in there. Happy Holidays!

Rebecca says:

I love the dinner idea and the video! I am doing the 12 days of christmas via e-mail and will for sure use that as one of my days. If you have any more ideas in that regard please share!!! Thanks!

Wow this looks good! My kids will love that there are tater tots involved. Thanks for the great idea. What a wonderful blog. I will check back soon and let you know how it turned out.

Alex

Stephanie says:

What a cute idea!

Jen says:

Did anyone try this with frozen broccoli? Thaw first?

This looks so yummy! I love casseroles in the winter time, so warm and hearty. I think can even get my husband to eat the broccoli in this one because it’s hidden under tater tots and cheese.

Nicolle B. says:

This looks so yummy! I hope to try it soon :)

[...] Picky Palate, recipe, tater tots | Leave a Comment  So, a few weeks ago, I came across this recipe from Picky Palate. It called for delicious ingredients like broccoli, shredded chicken, tater tots, [...]

~ calista ~ says:

I made this last weekend and it is wonderful! My six year old ate it up. I have a soft spot in my heart for tater tots anyway, so this one was a no brainer :-} Loved it and I’ll definitely make it again!

~ calista ~ says:

And also, to answer someone’s question above, Jen I think it was, I did use frozen broccoli and it worked just fine. I just let it simmer a little longer in the soup mixture.

[...] calista ~ @ 6:11 am Tags: cooking, food, Picky Palate, recipes So, a few weeks ago, I came across this recipe from Picky Palate. It called for delicious ingredients like broccoli, shredded chicken, tater tots, [...]

That looks frickin DELICIOUS….but my arteries are screaming NO!

Well, maybe just a bite.

Tracy says:

Tried this tonight, but it was too salty. :( I even used low sodium cream of chicken (campbells) and left our all the extra salts.. Small can = 10oz.? I had to use a 9×13 pan. Oh well, it was fun to try, maybe it was user error? :) Can’t wait to try some of the other recipes.

[...] tried out the Broccoli Cheddar, Chicken & Tater Tot Casserole and the Brownie Covered Oreos!  The step-by-step she gave was easy to follow and both recipes [...]

[...] – French Dip Sandwiches Wednesday – Salsa Chicken and Ranch Tostadas Thursday – Chicken Tater-Tot Casserole Friday – Souplantion & Sweet Tomatoes (free meal passes and all you can eat salad = [...]

[...] (Dear dad’s birthday!) Monday – Beef Enchiladas & Spanish Rice Tuesday – Chicken Tater-Tot Casserole Wednesday – Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches Thursday – Spaghetti and Meatballs [...]

Lana says:

I just found your website on Saturday and I love it. I made this recipe tonight and my hubby and I liked it. On my kids I didn’t put tater tots and my son liked it. Daughter didn’t eat with us.

Jessica says:

ok…this is officially the THIRD recipe I’ve done from your blog and I’ve loved everyone one of them. This turned out awesome and what a great change from my boring old tater-ole recipe. I used ground beef instead of chicken and halved this and put it in a tall pie plate. THANK U THANK U THANK U again for the weekday dinner inspirations that are not only delicious, they are economical! God Bless and keep cookin!

PPT says:

I cannot have cheddar cheese; it triggers my migraines. I good substitutes for the cheddar cheese, but not the cheddar soup. Any suggestions?

Sarah Krantz says:

I was wondering if you use fresh broccoli or frozen, I bought frozen and wondered if it would still work in this recipe, thanks! Looks yummy, can’t wait to try it this week!

My family loved this dinner! Even my father-in-law asked to take home a portion of the leftovers for lunch the next day. Thank you for the creative concoction!

Melinda says:

I make this recipe without the broccoli for my daughter. She gets a whole pan for herself. My hubby and I love it as directed. Yummy.

Kate says:

I made this tonight and it was awesome! I wanted to make a smaller pan so I halved the recipe (except the cheese!) I also used frozen broccoli, and just cooked it according to the package directions and added it in. I think this would be good with cauliflower too, so I will have to try that sometime!

Deanna says:

I don’t usually comment about any recipes BUT I have to say that I made this last evening for supper and it was one of the best things I have ever ate! SO delish! I first baked the chicken with olive oil, paprika, garlic salt, italian seasoning and pepper and then shredded it. I had to use a 9×13 because it was way to much to fit in a smaller pan.

alicia says:

omg i just made this for dinner and it was sooo good! i used frozen broccoli and still tasted fine!!!

I waiting to take the closer take a look at some of their memorabilia!

Zoe says:

This casserole looks like the perfect comfort food… Yummie!!!