Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jun
2010

Chocolate Crumb Topped Cupcakes…

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Happy Thursday!!  Hope your week is treating you well :)  I posted some of my favorite Memorial Day Pictures from our Day Trip to San Diego if you’d like to take a peek, check it out on my Life in OC page, you can subscribe to that page as well….upper right corner of the page :)

I’ve got a fun cinnamon sweet cupcake to share with you today.  Crumb cakes/coffee cakes are typically done with yellow cake, but I decided I wanted to give it a try with my favorite chocolate cake recipe…..and yes, it was really good!  You get little bites of slightly crunchy, cinnamon buttery topping with every bite of cupcake.  I LOVED these, the boys really enjoyed them too!

My friend Beth Royals created the crumb topping from her Starbucks Coffee Cake, from back in early 2008 when I just started my blog.  I just halved the crumb topping here.  Hope you’ll all enjoy, bake up some cupcakes this weekend :)

Here’s your line up :)

The items you’ll need for the crumb topping….it’s seriously the best crumb topping ever!

Break out your favorite cupcake liners :)

Mix up your cake mix and fill em’ up!

While the cupcakes are partially baking, prepare the crumb topping….cut up some cold butter and mix with the ingredients listed below :)

Spoon some jam over partially baked cupcakes, then sprinkle with the crumb topping….back in the oven they go!

Ta-da!  Love these :)

1 stick cold butter, cut into small cubes

3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar

1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour

3/4 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

3/4 Tablespoon pure vanilla

Powdered sugar for dusting

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, water and sour cream until well combined.  Will appear to be nice and thick :)  Fill 24 muffin cups 1/2 full and bake for 12 minutes.

2.  While cupcakes are partially baking, place cold butter cubes, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla into a stand mixer.  Beat until combined and crubmly looking.  After cupcakes have baked for 12 minutes, remove from oven spoon jam over tops then sprinkle with crumb mixture, pressing down slightly.  Bake for another 15 minutes or until toothpick comes clean when poked into centers.

3  Let cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

24 cupcakes

**I baked half the batch with the jam and half without.  I LOVE the jam filled ones, but the centers cave in ever so slightly…just so you know :)**

While I was baking up these cupcakes, I had a superhero come to visit.  He was very interested in my choice of cupcake liners!! LOL!  I love my little Superhero :)

_____________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!!  Come back soon!

Comments

Mary says:

I love crumb topping and these look AMAZING! Totally have to try these!

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

Helen says:

I love the cupcake liners! i need to get some paper ones, all I have are silicone ones which are great but not as funky as yours. I will definitely be trying these.
    Also, your son looks so cute in his costume, and very intrigued by the cupcakes!!

Mona says:

Can’t wait to try these, Jen! They look yummmmmmy! Brady is such a crack-up. I love his new look, it really suits him! Tell him I love him & Mason too!

Hey cutie! Remember when Mason used to wear that costume and it was 3 sizes too small?!! They both LOVE that suit :) See you soon in the windy city! lol!

I think this cake recipe is what is used for your reese’s cake, too right? I love it! I use it all the time!

These look great! Cupcakes rock, thanks!

Melanie says:

These look really delicious and who doesn’t love a cupcake?

Love the crumb topping and the liners are super fun!

CookiePie says:

Those look great – and I love the superhero!

very delicious looking wow that crumb topping is yummy !

Jennifurla says:

I agree adorable super hero, the cupcakes are not to bad either! They look divine with that topping.

Skye says:

These look delicious! I will definitely be baking some of these up soon!

Julie Bogart says:

Yum-o!

patsyk says:

Those cupcake liners are adorable!!! Will have to try these sometime – I know my boys would devour them!

Amanda :) says:

Those look seriously delicious! Can’t wait to try them! :) And your photos are absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous!!! :)

I could see myself eating all the crumbs off the top of each one, LOL. Those look delish!!

Jenn

Oh my goodness – this looks so yummy!! Can’t wait to try it!

Molly says:

I think we have the same granite. Haha! Venetian Gold?

Marisa says:

These look so good and where did you find the cupcake liners? I love leopard print stuff. Toooo Cute

Angie says:

What a great recipe, yummy. Just saw your email on cc from Jenny. I was going around to see who all is going. Looks like a great group and I see you were also a hygienist, me too!

Such a cute superhero that came in to visit you!! These cupcakes look wonderful, I love any sweet with a crumbly topping. Have a great weekend :) xo

Maggy says:

These look so scrumptious! And what gorgeous photos.

I think I like the cup liners as much as the dish!

Michelle says:

LOVE the cupcakes liners…so cute! But what a fabulous recipe and perfect for an “any time” cupcake!

Oh. My. Goodness. These cupcakes are making my mouth water! Yum!

Tracy says:

Sigh, I could eat about 12 of these right now. Lovely!!

holly says:

Love, love the liners!! These look absolutely delish:)

I would quite happily eat spoonfuls of the crumb topping!

drollgirl says:

lordy these look delicious! i am sure they would be a bit hit!!!!

ivoryhut says:

You had me with the chocolate cupcakes, then did me in with the crumb topping. Beautiful photos!

YUM!!! And so simple too I love it!

Denise Ludden says:

Added your great blog to my Google reader!

Chef Dennis says:

gorgeous cupcakes!! The crumb topping is a perfect addition!
    I know my girls would love them!
    Cheers
    Dennis

Kelli says:

I love crumb topping on desserts, but hardly ever use it because of the guilt over all that butter! But, these look amazing and I just might have to go for it!

Kristina says:

I love butter. I love crumb topping. AND I LOVE YOUR cupcake liners, TOO CUTE!! I am on a mission to find… :)

Heather says:

These look amazing Jenny! We are all cupcake lovers in my house so I know these would be a hit! Love the liners too, very cute.

Wow! These look fantastic! Must try :)

Chocolate crumb topping… swoon!

omg, these look amazing! I just found your site and see a lot of awesome things.

Rebecca says:

Looks delicious!

Where on Earth did you find those cupcake liners? They are tooo cuuuute! I must get some! : )

Fuji Mama says:

That’s it. It’s settled. I’m moving in–I hope you have room. I mean really? Holy cow YUM!!!!

lexi says:

this looks soo yummy! would it still taste good without the pudding?

Amanda says:

These look awesome Jenny, never had a crumb topping on a chocolate cupcake before. Great idea!

nettiradio says:

I’ve read some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you put to make this kind of wonderful informative site.

socola says:

hello!,I really like your writing very so much! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this space to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to peer you.

Chat Saudi says:

I love crumb topping and these look AMAZING! Totally have to try these

Abby says:

So you don’t have to use the jam correct?

[...] If you’ve been on the look out for something tasty, yet simple to bake, then look no further than these chocolate crumb topped cupcakes. They are made from Devil’s Food cake mix, boxed chocolate pudding, jam (whatever flavor you prefer) and a cinnamon-y crumb topping that gets baked on top. No frosting required, since the crumb topping does that job nicely for you. These treats are quick and easy to make and tasty, too! Source Picky Palate [...]

[…] If you’ve been on the look out for something tasty, yet simple to bake, then look no further than these chocolate crumb topped cupcakes. They are made from Devil’s Food cake mix, boxed chocolate pudding, jam (whatever flavor you prefer) and a cinnamon-y crumb topping that gets baked on top. No frosting required, since the crumb topping does that job nicely for you. These treats are quick and easy to make and tasty, too! Source Picky Palate […]

karen says:

question instant pudding or cook and serve pudding
    thanks