This Starbucks Coffee Cake recipe is one of my favorites! An easy copycat recipe that’s perfect for the holidays and family celebrations!
Homemade Starbuck’s Coffee Cake
If you’ve had the Starbuck’s Coffee Cake, you know how amazing it is! So tender and cinnamon perfection! This is a version I’ve had on Picky Palate since 2008. It’s so simple to prepare and perfect for your next celebration of any kind.
What Is Coffee Cake?
It’s generally a moist, tender cake that is often topped with streusel topping and served alongside coffee or tea at breakfast. They stand apart from other cakes because of their streusel topping and not generally frosted. The name comes from the fact that it is served with coffee, not because it has coffee in it.
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious coffee cake recipe. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full instructions and details.
- box of yellow cake mix– I like to pick up Pillsbury or Duncan Hines. 15.25 ounce box.
- canola or vegetable oil– Find the oil in the baking section of the grocery store.
- eggs– For consistency I use large eggs for all of my cooking and baking.
- water– Part of the wet ingredients.
- butter– I use salted butter for my baking.
- all purpose flour– The flour is part of the coffee cake topping.
- ground cinnamon– Find cinnamon in the baking section of the grocery store, near the other spices.
- brown sugar– Light brown sugar works great here.
- pure vanilla extract– For best tasting results use pure vanilla.
- powdered sugar– Also called confectioners sugar. You’ll dust the powdered sugar on top of the coffee cake.
How To Make Coffee Cake
Preheat Oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
Prepare Cake Mix. Remove cake mix from box and prepare according to package directions.
Bake. Bake cake for 15 minutes.
Prepare Crumb Topping. While cake is baking, prepare crumb topping. Place butter, flour, cinnamon, and sugar into a mixing bowl, beat with an electic mixer or stand mixer until slightly crumbly, slowly adding vanilla.
Add Crumb Topping To Partially Cooked Cake. When cake has baked for 15 minutes, open oven and carefully add crumb topping over partially baked cake.
Continue Baking. Close oven and continue baking for another 10-13 minutes until center of cake is baked. Use a toothpick poked in center to make sure cake is baked. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Dust Cake With Powdered Sugar. Before serving dust top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
Once cake has cooled, use a sieve to dust a generous amount of powdered sugar over cake.
Cut cinnamon cake into squares and serve room temperature.
How To Serve This Easy Cake Recipe
- Serve cake as a dessert or brunch sweet treat at your next family gathering or party.
- Serve as is, or with a side of fruit and/or scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
How To Store Leftovers
Refrigerate. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator or room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freezing Instructions. To freeze leftover cake, wrap in plastic wrap and place inside an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before using again.
Try More Cake Recipes!
Starbuck’s Coffee Cake Copycat Recipe
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- stand mixer
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick cold butter salted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While cake is baking, prepare crumb topping. Place butter, flour, cinnamon, and sugar into a mixing bowl, beat with an electic mixer or stand mixer until slightly crumbly, slowly adding vanilla.
- When cake has baked for 15 minutes, open oven and carefully add crumb topping over partially baked cake. Close oven and continue baking for another 10-13 minutes until center of cake is baked. Use a toothpick poked in center to make sure cake is baked. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Before serving dust top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.