Jul
2010

Ice Cream Sundae 4 Layer Chocolate Cake

Tags: ,

Desserts

Y’all knew I wasn’t stopping with the whole ice cream thing until I did a cake right?!  Well, I’ve done it and did it well…..this baby was chocolate cake heaven!  Don’t tell anyone that this cake is a breeze to make either, they’ll NEVER know :)

My sister and her family visited this week and it happened to be her Birthday on Tuesday.  I wanted to create a very special cake for her and this fit the bill just perfectly.  I knew my ice cream cookies were the bomb, then the ice cream brownies were irresistible, now we’ve got an Ice Cream Sundae Cake to put on our list.  Talk about a perfect birthday cake, very special indeed.

Enough blabbing from me, take a peek and make one this summer!

Here’s your line-up for cake ingredients.  Again, have fun with your ice cream.  Use any favorite flavor you’d like!!

Dump it in baby!

Ice cream and hot fudge….Yes!

Pour into 4 sprayed cake pans, bake and cool.

Layer onto a nice little cake stand and frost each and every layer.

These chocolate curls look great on the sides and even top of the cake if you want.  Take your everyday vegetable peeler and peel away at a nice bloc of chocolate.  I used Sarris Milk Chocolate Bloc, which was AMAZING!!

Here you have a birthday cake to make any birthday boy or girl happy :)

Ice Cream Sundae 4 Layer Chocolate Cake

1 box Devils Food Cake Mix

1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix

4 eggs

1/2 Cup water

1/2 Cup canola or vegetable oil

1 heaping Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (or whatever ice cream flavor you choose)

1/4 Cup Hot Fudge Sauce

Chocolate Frosting of Choice

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place cake mix, pudding, eggs, water oil, ice cream and hot fudge sauce into stand or electric mixer.  Beat on low then medium for about 1 minute 30 seconds or until well combined and thick.  Divide evenly into 4 (9 inch) cake pans that have been generously sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes mostly clean from center.  Let cool completely, loosen sides with a plastic knife then remove from pans.  Place bottom layer onto a cake stand, spread with your favorite chocolate frosting….repeat until 3 layers are frosted leaving 4th layer on top.  Frost remaining top and sides of cake with frosting.

2.  Take a vegetable peeler and peel chocolate bloc to get curls, about 2 cups worth.  Press curls onto sides of cake and serve room temperature or refrigerate to chill.

12 servings

___________________________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend, come back soon!!

Comments

Amanda :) says:

YES! I have been waiting for the cake post!!! :D My jaw just dropped!! Can’t wait to try it!! :)

That’s a fancy looking cake. Horray for using ice cream yet in another delicious way!

Sarris is incredible – I like right near the factory! It is my favorite chocolate. I love dipping strawberries in it!

Janice says:

I used to work in the store when I was a senior in high school – I live on the other side of the state now and love when I can get back home and have my Sarris’!

Amy says:

This looks absolutely amazing. My hubby is the biggest chocoholic, and this will be perfect for his next birthday cake!

Sharlene says:

I am definitely starting to appreciate the use of cake mix and premade ingredients. This is definitely a recipe that allows you to have everything on hand and then whip up on a moment’s notice (well, as “moment” as a frosted cake can get) without having to go to the store! Love it!

Beautiful cake, Jenny! It looks like it came straight from a bakery. I LOVE using cake mix…I use it for cookies, biscotti, bars, and of course cakes. Might have to add this chocolate beast to my line up!

Omg, that cake to end all cakes! It looks amazing!

You’re killing me here!! This cake is a masterpiece of pure decadence…I have been trying out so many of your delectable recipes and the other night my hubs said, “Honey, no more baking!” Of course, he was kidding…just worried about his waist-line! Thanks for sharing:) Have a wonderful weekend…
    ~Mary

Absolutely delicious! This is definitely going to be on my “TO MAKE” list! I tried your cookies with the ice cream and they were phenomenal! :)

Lizzy says:

You make everything look so darn simple! This looks amazing. The chocolate curls make it look so elegant.

Camille says:

This looks amazing! Chocolate heaven right here! How did you get the chocolate curls on without ruining the cake?

Beth says:

I was wondering the same thing. It looks so perfect!

• Jenny says:

Hi Camille, just took handfuls of chocolate curls and pressed lightly against the sides. I would salvage all the ones that fell to the side and press those on too. It was actually easier than I am making it sound!! lol!

Wow, this was the first thing I looked at this morning. What a way to start a day!

Sara says:

This cake looks picture perfect! Why don’t you open up a bakery? I tried your cookies with chocolate ice cream in them and they were wonderful, so I can only imagine the deliciousness of this cake. :)

Denise says:

This looks absolutely fantastic! I was looking for something special for my son’s birthday party and just found it. I think I may try it with Coffee Ice Cream for that Mocha twist. Thanks for shaing!

Heather says:

That cake looks absolutely AMAZING. I have to try it!

CookiePie says:

Gorgeous!!! My birthday is in November, just FYI… :)

My stomach is growling… this looks and sounds delicious!

That cakes looks amazing! YUM!!!

Deborah says:

Grabbing a fork…dish me up a piece!

Margo says:

This looks delectable. My only fear about making this cake would be that I would be requested to make it for each and every special family occasion….hey, any excuse will do, right?

My husband’s captain ordered, ahem, I mean Requested a dessert for his shift this weekend, and I was wondering what to make. I think I found it!

Carol says:

Lord have mercy……..that is one GORGEOUS cake. What a fantastic idea you had adding ice cream to baked goods…….genius, I tell ya………

Tiffany says:

Just tried the brownies last night and they were sooooo delicious! I cannot wait to tryout this cake!

Adrienne Larkin says:

What icing did you use? Store bought or homemade? If homemade, please post the recipe!!!! Can’t wait to try this.

Elise says:

I would love to know what frosting you use also. It looks amazing. I haven’t found a recipe that I love yet. Also, where do you get Sarris chocolate?

Oh my goodness… that cake looks DIVINE!

Jenn

Cyndy says:

My jaw just dropped………to the floor! That looks amazing. Have this beauty saved!

I love that you used a veggie peeler for the choc…I mean the cake is divine looking but the delicate choc shavings…oooh la la…YUM!

Tracy says:

You had me at chocolate cake. YUM!

Carla says:

My mouth is watering…I’m going faint…I’m slipping into a food coma…

Excuse me while I grab a napkin to wipe the drool from my mouth…wow…this looks fabulous!

Grace says:

It’s almost not fair how delicious this cake looks/sounds/IS (I’m sure..)

Wow! For some reason your blog wasn’t popping up on my reader for the last few months. I thought you disappeared, but glad you see you haven’t! And, especially glad to see this yummy recipe!! :)

You are unstoppable girl! This cake is awesome. Lovely presentation with those curls. I bet your sister LOVED this cake. I hope you gals had a great time together. xo

Tiffany says:

Made this cake today….lots of mmmmmmmmm’s, eye rolling, & grins. I didn’t do the chocolate shavings, I just used chocolate chip iciing. Very delicious!
    Thanks for sharing!

This cook looks insane! I sure love my chocolate, I would devour this!

Kirstin says:

Which frosting did you use? It looks delicious!

Camille says:

There it is! I am willing to bet there were no leftovers! WOW! that looks fabulous!

Kristen says:

You are kidding me… oh my gosh, what a gorgeous and delicious looking dessert!

Aggie says:

oh oh oh….that first picture is amazing girl! my mouth is watering!

megan says:

This cake would make me happy!!!

Another great use for ice cream. This is a really nice special occasion cake.

allboystuff says:

Oh Jen! I get a sweet tooth everytime I look at your site! You’re awesome!

Grace says:

This is a 1st for me, I would never ever have thought to put ice cream in a cake batter, sheer genius. I bet it just tastes divine!

[...] Black Magic Cake.  But Picky Palate’s idea of adding ice cream and hot fudge sauce to her Ice Cream Sundae 4 Layer Cake sent me into an “I-must-try-this” tizzy.  So, I did.  Let me tell you, my mouth [...]

Janet says:

This was soo yummy!!! I just made cupcakes with this last night. I made cupcakes because I brought them to work to make it easier to carry and made whipped topping for the frosting with dark chocolate shavings on top. This batter is delicious! OMG, the cupcakes were so moist and so fluffy! Everyone here at the office wanted the recipe so I sent them the link. Thanks for sharing this. I’m not usually a baker, I consider myself a cook, but this was so easy and so good! :)

Nickie says:

Hi Jenny!
    I saw this recipe when you first posted it and I “KNEW” I had to make this for my son’s 12th birthday ~ which is this week! We are having a family party for him tomorrow and I’m making the cake for him today! He is a HUGE chocolate lover, I do a lot with “fun” cakes for kids, and he is too old for that now (LOL) but he will be DROOLING when he sees this cake! Thanks for another awesome recipe!!!

Angela says:

I made this for my co-workers and they LOVED IT!! It was perfect! Not too rich and sooo moist! I say Thank You StumbleUpon for bring me to this wonderful site!!!